Monday 28 July 2014

Arrivederci Choocherainian/Brunello Minneapolis Blues: Monday, July 28th

We are social creatures to the inmost centre of our being. The notion that one can begin anything at all from scratch, free from the past, or unindebted to others, could not conceivably be more wrong. -Karl Popper, philosopher and a professor (1902-1994)


Hello marathon man! We are just on our way out to meet some people for drinks and dinner but I wanted to send off a quick email to congratulate you on a terrific achievement! Not sure I could manage over 6 hours in the saddle these days! You must be pretty pleased with the outcome.

Sorry to hear about the car problems. I have to say that was the one thing that I was always concerned about when traveling long distances in Canada. When I worked for AM International in Ottawa some 40 plus years ago, I had to occasionally visit the Montreal and Quebec branches and I was constantly worried about what I would do if the car broke down on those, then, relatively deserted highways, particularly when I had to do the trips in winter! Those were also the days before cell phones were the norm. 


Had a brief word with Krissy. They all seemed to have a good time on the island they went to. Thank goodness the truck is finally back on the street so they can earn some money to pay a few bills. These kids always seem to live on the edge! Must dash but just wanted to wish you congrats on your achievement.
Derek 


Hi Gayle and Derrick! (Chloƫ doesn't know how to spell your names!)

Up at 7:15 am to make a pot of java and scribe. Just had to wait for Sleepy Heads to appear before breakfast. Once people were up, Dusty did flapjacks on the griddle, along with bacon, and we all enjoyed a hearty breakfast. Since Cora Lee couldn't eat the pancakes she fried up a number of simply delish pickerel fillets and Bruno and I "forced" ourselves to eat some fish!

Carol and Bruno headed out shortly thereafter, to visit more friends near Steinbach and then they were en route home, via Minneapolis. I scribed, to the extent that I could and then left for another longish ride today as weather forecast looked very promising for rest of day, as well as coming week and into weekend. Decided I'd try to do at least 120 km to start my Whistler Granfondo training so made for the South Shore at close to 11:00 am. Almost exactly 10 km to end of pavement so I had close to 32 km on the clock by the time I was at West Hawk. Wind behind me so I knew I would have to pay the price on run home.

Took the turn-off to Ingolf after I left West Hawk and was pleased to find the steep hill, about half way to Ingolf itself, was much more manageable that I had remembered it would be. Turned around at Ingolf and retraced my route to make my way to Rennie once I was back on Hwy 44, the original Highway #1, the unpaved TransCanada in the early '50's! Since I'd traveled this route on Saturday, I knew what to expect, in terms of small hills, etc., and so I literally sailed along. Had 80 km on my trusty odometre by the time I turned around and was heading back towards home.

Even the deer flies were not quite as bad as on last ride so I didn't have that distraction to worry about. Felt pretty good all the way to West Hawk and by the time I was past Star Lake I knew I was fine, even though my camel pack was on "empty"! Had the distances all worked out as I was heading towards Fairway Crescent but I was hoping to push my AVG to 23 km/hr so I kept going until I reached the bottom end of Fairway. No matter how hard I pushed, I couldn't change the reading so I had to be content with a few dipsy-doodles around Ace Bay to give me 127 km as the final tally. Still a very rewarding ride and my first "Whistler" distance, even thought I wasn't faced with the the punishing grades that await on the Sea to Sky! Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/551909033#.U9bY-T5NtOE.email

Cora Lee played nine holes of golf this afternoon with her brother, Giorgio, and nephew, Dustan, and enjoyed herself immensely. Dinner around 7:00 pm, after golfers returned and then a table of bridge. Dusty and I took on Rosita and Coriandre and came out ahead by 120 points, so pretty close, overall. Sipping on a Breaking & Entering Bourbon Whiskey, 43%, as I scribe, so cannot complain.

Thank you for your very kind "Marathon Man" words. Must say that one of the best things about that ride was that any others, under that distance, seem much, much easier. Fondestos from Cora Lee, reading in bed, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment