Tuesday 3 February 2015

Cornelius Pass Portland Blues: Tuesday, February 3rd!

It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing nothing, really doing nothing. -Gertrude Stein, novelist, poet, and playwright (3 Feb 1874-1946) 

Via Dolorosa, Jerusalem
Photo: Antonio Acuña

Hi Kids! Yes, we are alive and well and living in Portland! As it turned out, we didn't leave until 6:02 am yesterday as I was up, [fussing, according to a snoring Cora Lee!], until 2:17 am! Nevertheless, we were at the Truck Crossing a few minutes before 7:00 am to pick up two bottles of malt. [Place doesn't actually open until 7:30 am and purchases must be made via maximum security prison window/microphone! Had the poor chap, unlucky enough to draw this shift, running back and forth, from his station near the entrance door to malt shelves in search of my quite specific requests!] Less than a 5 minute wait to gain access to the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave and we were knocking on Elena's door in Sudden Valley at just before 8:00 am.

While I loaded the wine I'd left there, into TG, Cora Lee chatted with Elena while she brewed tea and java for us. About 8:30 am we set off for train station in Fairvhaven where she was to catch train to Vancouver. Had her there in plenty of time and after helping her with her bag to foyer, I thanked her for her kindness and we set off, after gassing up, for Portland.

Heavy rain started before we reached Mt Vernon and plagued us all the way down I-5 until we reached Chehalis. Not a pleasant drive, especially when my navigator was either reading, sleeping or being overly sullen. Still, we blasted along and were in Portland by 1:30 so we decided to make a quick stop at Powell's Books. Remarkable bookstore if you don't know it  and I found Book Two, I Hear the Sirens in the Street, The Troubles Trilogy, [Belfast 1982], a Detective Sean Duffy novel, by Adrian McKinty, in their extensive mystery/crime section.

Back in the car to make the easy drive, (little traffic at this time of day), to Casa Olivetti and we were greeted by Michaelo at shortly after 3:00 pm. I spent the next half hour muling wine from the car to their basement and back to the car, all the better to stay loaded, in a manner of speaking, for rest of the trip! Marilyn, (Digitale is her real name!), was away walking, in the neighbourhood, when we arrived and once she was back we opened a bottle of Coffaro 2013 Sauvignon Blanc, 14.4%, which was most appreciated by Marilyn. Only sorry I only have one left in stash! Followed by a 2012 Soda Rock Zin, 16%, to wash down a fabulous selezzione of cheese: Cambozola, Long Clawson Wensleydale with Cranberry and Tillamook Hot Habanero Jack. Marilyn grilled pork tenderloin for dinner and we spent a wonderful evening arguing about all the changes which needed to be made in order to save the world! My expert solution was to have a few snorts of the Jura Superstition, (lightly peated, smoke and spice), 43%, I'd brought for Michaelo. He doesn't drink wine, only beer, [He has a fridge in the garage with a tap through the appliance's wall that allows one to draw directly from the keg inside. One needs only open the door to the garage to fill one's mug. He picks up a new cask from one of the local micro-breweries when he's emptied the one in place. Whirlygig ansd Glasgow were in beer heaven on our overnight stops here, as you can well imagine!], and malt, of course.

I was fading fast by 8:30 pm so bid my generous hosts goodnight, thanking them for the splendiferous meal and went straight to bed, almost, but not quite, without passing Go. Nana followed, at some point, not sure of time, waking me up with instructions to warm up her side of the bed! Lovely and cool where we sleep downstairs so I'm very happy but she almost needs mukluks to keep her feet warm. On way down I was driving in bare feet and shorts and she had on angora socks with a blanket wrapped around her legs and she was still complaining. It was a running battle over turning heat up or down. I prevailed as whenever she fell asleep I'd turn down the temperature. Had to be crafty, however. Needed to turn up music volume or her little pointed ears would hear the click of the register dial and she's be off on another tirade!

I was up at about 6:30 am this morning. Others still abed. Very foggy so not sure what to expect. I hope to be on the road by 9:00 am so must away to rouse Sleeping Beauty. Will be in touch over the next little while as our travel plans evolve but so hope to see you on way home.
Fondestos and Love from The Traveling Road Show Freaks. Cheers, Dad!

Pics: I don't think Ayn hasn't seen these snaps of place in Palm Desert where we will stay with Lynne and Peter. Nana says she won't want to leave! Cora Lee in front of Powell's and some street art. 


The place looks gorgeous...Nana should be able to thaw out there!

Hello from Esqimaux Nana and Long-Distance Driver Cannonball Patrizzio! We left Portland in mist and as soon as we hit I-5 it started raining and did so, quite heavily at times, until close to Grant's Pass. From then on it was more than smooth sailing but distressed to see Lake Shasta at extremely low levels. Bit surprising as beautiful peak was completely snow-covered from about half way up to peak.

Once in Williams, decided to take a quick look at Motel 6 as with CDN $ we need to be sleeping in ditches. Next best is about $80 US/night so even having to pay $2.99 for Internet access it was worth it. We are just polishing off a Val du Vino 2013 Viognier, 14.7%, from Oct/Nov 2014 junket, stashed in Portland, before heading to Granzella's for dinner. Will take along a Soda Rock 2012 Zin, 16%, as corkage.

Will drive to Sonoma after breakfast tomorrow morning and will drop Imelda Nana in Healdsburg to browse/shop on the square while I go for a ride on West Dry Creek and then in to Berkeley. Fondestos, Love, Cheers, Dad!  


Patrizzio - got your message but we are off and running. I'm glad you got my red alert. We'll "talk" when we're back home. Safe travels for the remainder of your trip! Pat 

Hi, sorry  had meant to respond to earlier email but the day got away from me. Took G&G grocery shopping last night as they were not going to make it, they hadn't gotten groceries since before Xmas grandma claims  and she didn't want dusty to lug it all home in the bus. An hour and $300 later we were done, grandpa having spent that time buying 2 large bottles of rum and 3 bottles of white. I made out well though, my groceries paid for and 20 cash for gas I'll spend it on smokes and cheap weed of course!! Shh don't tell. 

Had a call from Michelle tonight her work the Bloom Group is looking for someone in the same field some what as me and its 50K + so said I was very interested, the woman is going to call me tomorrow it's not been posted yet and Michelle said this lady is able to do what she likes so I have to dazzle her the office is also down on Powell 2.5 k from me. I need this, fingers crossed. I think I need a change and definitely more money!!! I'll keep you all posted. 
Night, love you drive/shop/ride safe!!!! xxxx
 
Sounds exciting!! Go get it!! We love you and believe in you! Plus we don't want the baby to grow up in abject poverty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment