Saturday 28 March 2015

The Farmer and The Chef Blues: Saturday, March 28th!

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power. -Lao-Tzu, philosopher (6th century B.C.) 

Annika & Crystal of #dinnerpartyYVR
After a not so chance meeting at a Social Bites dinner in 2009, Annika Reinhardt (Social Bites founder) and Crystal Henrickson (Community Builder Invoke Labs, Chimp and Yelp) teamed up as business buddies to bring the biggest, boldest dinner party to Vancouver, and #dinnerpartyYVR was born.

Hi again, Glasgow: Thanks for the encouragement re: packing. While I'm supposed to keep packing, here, Cora Lee is actually going over to North Vancouver this morning to help Flamin' and Nicole pack! She and Marvin are expecting and his parents, Bella and Bert, (Currently on holiday in the Philippines), are moving out of their three-bedroom townhouse into N's/M's one bedroom condo so that the young couple will have more room once baby arrives! For Lady Mary, the standard case of "Do as I say, not as I do!"

Off to #dinnerpartyYVR this evening. This event "connects Vancouverites at a simultaneous dinner party, hosted in homes across the city, all to benefit local charities. Diners select one meal to attend, dinner parties range from 4-8 guests. After the meal has completed, diners, hobby chefs and the charities involved gather for an after party. 100% of the guest's dinner donation is gifted back to represented charities.

The event has taken place twice now with close to 500 hobby chefs, diners, charities and partners participating and collectively raising more than $15,000 for 48 charities in less than 1 year."

Our particular dinner is hosted by Ana-Luz Cobon, the General Manager at Heartwood, at a home on W. 15th, near the VLTBC, so I plan on stopping in there first to collect a few towels. My supply is running low! Only about a 25 minute stroll so we plan to walk and then not have to worry about driving after drinks with dinner. I'll say hello to 'Oribble 'Ungie and The Wizard for you. 

Just took a gander at the forecast and it looks like rain might well hold off until around 4:00 pm so I think I'll head out shortly, for a "stretch" ride after yesterday's outing. Had planned to use elliptizer at FCCC but would rather be outside, if possible. 

Was able to hit the road just after 11:00 am and made for Olympic Village to start ride. Dipsy-doodled thereabouts until I had about 9 km on the clock as I wanted to make my way out to UBC and have enough distance about by the time I'd looped Kits Point a few times and then made for Spanish Banks. Quite a few serious bikers out, on Point Grey Road, a number of smallish pelotons and loads of families, Mom/Dad and two or three children. All worked out as I had logged 25 km by the time I was to climb the Foreshore Hill. 

From then on it was almost all auto-pilot as I dipsy-doodled through a few of my regular routs on campus, making for 16th and then Imperial. Back on SW Marine I climbed up into Wesbrook Village and back down to Marine so by the time I was on campus again I was set to have needed 57 km on odometer at intersection of Stadium Road/Marine to count 71 km, via Chancellor, when back at the Heartbreak Terrace.

Pleased as punch to beat the rain as it started to spit while I was leaving campus. Clouds to the east looked pretty dark and foreboding but nothing came of their angry disposition so I was lucky this time. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/731405713#.VRckyRBkGHw.email

Found Mme Coriandre back from North Van. Packing went well but she needed a short nap before readying herself for our dinner this evening. Will set out shortly. Need to take our brollies as rain is forecast for most of the evening. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Ten people in all, as it turned out, many of whom Mme Coriandre knew through United Church circles. The theme chosen by Ana-Luz and her close friend, Jillian, (She works at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, just near the entrance to Granville Island), was The Farmer and The Chef, so there were all sorts of delicious organic ingredients, (from vegetable to meat and fish products), as you might suspect. 

One of the dishes was Ana-Luz's home-made pasta and I complimented her as the noodles tasted very much like the ones my dear, dear Grandmother used to make. I remember well when she was busy in the kitchen of the family home, in Rivers, Manitoba, near Brandon, preparing them. Loads of interesting people so it was a great delight to hear some of their stories and relish the simply wonderful dishes.

As it turned out, one of the couples, Simone and John, were from North Van so they very kindly dropped us off a block from home as they were driving back over Burrard Bridge. Although we were prepared, having brought umbrellas, it was raining pretty heavily by the time dinner party was over so pleased to been offered the lift.

Pics: Table; charity; Ana-Luz and Marilyn, family friend who offered her place for dinner; Happy diners: L-R, Simone, Cora Lee, John, Tatanya, Kat, Patrizzio, Ana-Luz, Todd, (her boyfriend), Jillian. Ashley, other guest, took snap.


Thanks Patrick, but I’ll host. We now have 6 – Robert, Winston, Byron, David T, Patrick, Clive...haven’t heard from John. See you Monday. Clive With 5 from S shore I guess we need 2 cars. Patrick shall I pick you up? Regards Byron Note on transportation. Going to the North Shore will be Robert, Winston, Byron, David T and Patrick, so it's going to be a tight fit in the Civic. Wear slick clothing. Sounds good. I'll pick up Winston and Mr. T. I could do Monday. R

Hi Patrick! I just had a chat with Robert...if you’re still willing to host we think it might be better that way because 5 are coming in two cars from the south – easier for me to come to you alone. Also Byron is flying off to Paris the next day and may prefer not to have to travel here. Are you still willing? I can do next week, although it’s Easter Monday so we may switch to Tuesday. I’ll fight that one out with Roger. Clive So where are we playing  Clive?? Byron Chez Patrizzio, Byron! At Patrick's. I'm in whistler painting ceilings. I'll be home in time to join you. Unfortunately I will not be able to make the next three Mondays. John We’re back in Lotus Land. I can’t however make it tonight. Les
 
Dear Bridge Players! It seems as if it is more convenient for me to host, as opposed to Clive, this coming Monday. That being the case, The Islay Inn will be ready to receive guests at 6:00 pm on March 30th. How many bridgers can I expect, the better to prepare gruel and dry bread? Cheers, Patrizzio! Winston and Robert Many thanks. I'll be there courtesy and appreciations to Robert for driving. First time Chez Patrick on a fine grand month of craic for Champions again Ireland. David Is that near Warrawandaballygong in NSW's outback?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment