Monday 2 March 2015

Winston is the New Black Blues: Monday, March 2nd!

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

Destructo Dog Compound, Tinsel Town!

Love that gate! Winston would spit on it as he hates being thwarted from roaming freely! I put him in the upstairs bathroom while having a new couch and a futon sofa-bed for the den delivered and the delivery guys thought I had a huge dog up there due the amount of ruckus he was causing. He finally got to come down to investigate all the activity. He hates to miss anything.

The other day I left him in the car for a few mins and came out to flashing hazard lights and full cat siren blazing. He does not enjoy being left out whatsoever! Love to all xoxo

Your new sofa looks very comfortable. What size futon did you get? Hugs Mom

the sofa looks great!! very nice!!

Need to buy a nice cover for the sofa bed and the new couch actually makes the living room feel bigger!

Hi Small Dog Syndrome and His Keeper! Simply loved the new Destructo Dog compound: Winston is the New Black! With so much room now, Nana thinks we should move to Tinsel Town and you can pay her to walk WInston and cuddle on fab couch. In the interim, perhaps you should line the top of couch with Ocotillo, much better than razor wire, to prevent counter-top forays!

On another matter, please send cases of Armenian Instant. To tell the truth, I actually have found that I almost prefer it to drip java. I have taken to heating up a mug of milk, a la last time in Valley Glen, and then dissolving instant into that, making a poor man's caffe latte/cappuccino!
 

Thought you might enjoy latest note and snaps from Big Al. Must away as we are going to start bringing "stuff" back from storage locker so we will soon have a King bed in our living room and an engine block on the patio! Big Al will think he is in his own workshop when next over! Seems as if Karma has dictated that Winston has been sent to push your patience to the limit. So far you seem to be dealing with your rambunctious charge very well! Buona Fortuna with PI Winston, the JR who doesn't want to be left out of anything! Love to you both. Dad/Patrizzio!

Good morning Patricio, Thanks for your understanding re early departure yesterday!. I know I could have pushed through but also knew I would pay some kind of price. I had Colleen’s boot camp class to go to tonight so wanted to have some reserves and not overly sore legs to manage that. Having said all that I did enjoy our outing and I know I will be able to enjoy them more with a proper bike to suit and I will make it a pririty to find one asap...


Glen’s cars
After I left you I made my way up the escalator with my bike not realizing that this in not condoned and you’re supposed to use the elevators!. I didn’t notice a sign until I mounted the escalator at city hall but of course I spat on it and went up anyway. I had to admit it was a bit dodgy at first as I hadn’t applied the brake at first and someone came up right behind me! I wasn’t quite prepared and the bike started to slip back a bit before I managed to grip the brakes and prvent taking out the patron behind me. After I exited I walked up cambie to 10th ave which is another dedicated bike path as I’m sure you are aware. My legs were still quite fatigued so I felt the slight climb between Cambie and the summit just after Oak st. 

Babes at the Diamond Ball
Soon thereafter it was a pleasant easy pedal along the quiet street and I enjoyed the older architecture of some of the apartments and the flowers coming up. Soon I was at Cypress and turned down to 8th ave to meet my friend Glen. I as starving so we went around the corner to Denny’s which wouldn’t normally have been my preference but they did have some new hearty items on the menu such as the Santa fe skillet with chorizo, peppers, red potatoes and a couple of eggs over easy on top which really hit the spot.

After we finished we went back to Glen’s workshop at the apartment he manages at 8th and Burrard and he showed me some of the cars and trucks he has been making and putting in a store nearby for consignment. They are really neat and are kind of a unique flintsonesesque design. He is also working on restoring some whirlygigs that I took to him that were given to me by an old friend of the family Audrey Wills. 


Tribute to Leonard Nimoy!
her husband Doug was a very handy guy and they built their own house in east van back in the fifties. Doug also worked at Dairyland for many years as the maintainence guy so had to be very well rounded in his abilities. One of Dougs hobbies was making these fantastic whirlygigs that I remember well from when I was younger and look forward to having working again. I also gave Glen all the templates doug had made and used to make the items and encouraged him to think about reproducing them for sale at his consignment place or maybe sell them at the beach in the summertime. one more note on Doug is that he spent many hours helping to refurbish the vintage carousel at Burnaby’s heritage village museaum and there is a plaque dedicated to the volunteers that helped resore it. If you guys like you are welcome to stay at the cabin on your way or back from the interior. let me know if you are interested and we a talk further. Have a great day and love to the family. cheers, Al
 
[When I got home, Winston had redone the den...covering the hideous faux suede mattress cover with a gorgeous butter yellow cotton quilt. The pillows came with the sectional couch and Winnie thinks his 14 dollar dog bed from world market sets it all off!  Love you guys xo I want to eat him!!]

Hi Big Al! Glad all went well once you were on your own although I'm glad you didn't cause serious injury to fellow escalator users! On BART in Berkeley/SF, and elsewhere I assume, cyclists regularly use escalators so I don't know why it is such a big deal here. Your mention of Denny's reminded me of my first trip to Mexico. Friend and I drove down to Acapulco, from Winnipeg, in early December, 1970, in a VW Bug, in two days and we only stopped for gas/bathroom breaks and food on way south via Interstate system.
 
Ate at Denny's when we wanted food as we knew what to expect and service would be quick. Didn't frequent franchise in Acapulco however, as you can well imagine. Used to pass half-gallon jugs of Kahlua around table whenever we ate at local hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Great to be young and stupid!

Enjoyed all the snaps, Ooh La La Babes, wooden cars and hearing about Doug and his whirlygigs. Whirlygig might find this an infringement of his patented nickname, however! Understand now why you had so little energy on ride, Leonard! Your were a virtual ghost of yourself. No wonder your gears wouldn't shift and your chain came off! You did seem a tad otherworldly from get-go!

 

Thank you for offer to stay at Sunshine Valley Villa. Will you be there on Saturday evening? If so we'd love to stay over. We will be seeing a number of properties in Osoyoos early that afternoon and were planning to take Hope-Princeton back to Vancouver so timing would be poifect. Let us know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio, One Senior with a Weak Back and and an even Weaker Mind!

HI Guys, It’s a suitably conservative silver, with a six speed box , turbo charged and leather upholstery, black of course. 

We have now ridden four days in a row only 20k a day but Claire is now learning the benefits of spinning rather than pushing pedals and has improved her uphill speed very nicely. Though still only maxing out at 50 KPH. Still pretty good going and we should have no problem doing the 50 k per day in Belgium. By the way over here if a fellow rider has a tech issue every one stops and helps or more specifically ridicules them endlessly until the issue is resolved. If there is a coffee shop near by then everyone goes for coffee and waits.

We are now thinking we should go camping in the next two weeks before we go away only for a three day break we will see. Bit of riding and perhaps kayaking if we can manage it. Cheers Greg and Claire


Hi Conservatively Coloured Cabriolet, Six Speeder with Black Upholstery Man!
Surprised you are still cycling now that you have such a new super toy! Thought that you might like to see Ayn's new Destructo Dog compound
Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: New furniture and Ocotillo!
 

Hello Swedish Twins! Trust all goes well with you two. How go your studies, Patrizzio? Sorry NRBC was cancelled as I was looking forward o hearing about Oz, Vittorino. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

neighbour/good friends Gerri/Jim have Octotillo ready to bloom. Quite a bit if rain last night and earlier in Feb so desert will be spectacular. Love to see the blooms. My hip flexor still gives me grief but push through to play pickleball, golf usually 9 holes, bowl 10 pins senior league & zumba every week. Happy to be fit enough to do all this. Pickleball annual chili fest/dance Wed evening. Then sock hop, 50s/60s music Thurs. Still love to dance, best exercise for me. Stay well! Maggie 

Hi Pat, A little birdie told us that you may be relocating to Naramata. Is this true? If it is and you have moved by July we’ll see you up there at our Deep Roots cabin! On another topic, do you want to go down with me to Marquis WC for David’s last day -Sat March 14th? cheers, Bill. 

Hi Wild Bill and Denise Dangereux! Trust all goes well with you two and your busy lives. Well, it isn't set yet, in terms of where, specifically, in the Okanagan we will be moving. I noticed David's picture in the latest Marquis Weekly Email. I would like to see him on his last day there so be delighted to join you. We can plan details next week. Perhaps you might pop by here, park in one of our spots, if driving, and we could Aquabus over. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both! Cheers, Patrizzio!

BigMac/Clive, 4,640; Robert/Byron, 4,960; Patrick/John, 3,850 40 hands played First two pairs played 28 hands and Patrick and John played 24 (they would adjust to 4492 points, so the evening was very close!) See you next week at Big Mac’s.

Hi Clive, et al: Thanks, once again, for hosting the de-lovely evening: wonderful snacks, (Fab smoked salmon BigMac!), delicious supper and decadent dessert. Pleased to meet you, John, and look forward to playing together again, at some point in the not too, too distant future. A few snaps of the play and players attached. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
 
Dear Byron Wales will try pretty hard v Ireland but will likely fall short on Irish form who could get to the RWC Final indeed in October! Now in Brassy Birmingham en route to Delightful Derbyshire. All Best David

 
Hi Dancin' Queen! You and Cora Lee share the same passion for dancing as well as some common hip flexor/T-band problems it would seem. She has taken to using a tennis ball on some of her floor stretches. Sorry not to been able to take in more of desert when blooming. As you say, imagine it will be spectacular. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello there! Latest new: Tickets are paid for now and can't be changed unless some one gets seriouly ill:

Arriving New (from Frankfurt) July 21st 13.25 Staying New York 5-6 nights , travelling to Washington DC by train Staying 2-3 nights in Washington. Leaving Washington DC for Las Vegas July 29th. Staying 2 nights probably in Las Vegas heading for LA on July 31st by rented car /greyhound .. Staying in LA area 6 nights. Leaving LA arriving by flight to Vancouver Aug 6, 15.44 pm. Leaving Vancouver (Toronto-Frankfurt) August 12th 11.30 a.m.

We might be quite exhausted when qe arrive, I will consider what plan would be suitabe for those days in Vancouver. I would of corsue like to show the boys the wonderful surrouondings of Vancouver and also for my self explore a little in the new Vancouver neighborhoods!



Funny you just mentioned, Megan - I had just connected with her on facebook when I got your mail. I'm nor sure this email is still good, but I try to put her on CC. I wish you a good 'House-hunting' time and also good energy to pack your home. it is VERY demanding ! Did I send you any ogf these Pictures earlier?
Sister pic is Christmas 2014 : left: Cecilia, Gunilla, Margareta, Helena
Summer pic is from sweden July 2014. Left: Peter, Margareta , Johan A big hug Margareta


Hi Jet-Setters! Thanks for your itinerary. No rush but when you have a minute please send along the name of your airline and flight number. Obviously, you can wait until closer to arrival in Vancouver about how you all feel and what you might wish to do when here. Thanks for snaps. Don't think I'd seen them before, certainly not one of you and your siblings. I thought I had an email address for Megan but I don't. If one you have used isn't current, let me know and I'm sure I can contact her to obtain latest.

Certainly appreciate your comments about coming move! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: With friends, Marilyn/Mike in Portland.


Glad to hear your plans and that all is moving forward - literally! If not already, you should sign up with freecycle - it's a great, painless way to get rid of stuff, and/or an outfit like the Furniture Bank - not sure how extensive they are - we have one here. They do charge for pick-ups but then give a tax receipt worth more than double pick-up costs. Make sure you let me have new address! And if you want to listen to trains passing at night, you can come and stay here!
Deborah


 Hi Train Spotter! Thanks for your moving advice. Unfortunately, it really isn't a question of ridding ourselves of "stuff", (some of course), but more that we have so much to move as we are hoping to buy a larger space. Appreciate your comments, nonetheless. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick I am so so sorry I only read this completely today. When I get your emails I always reserve a time to read it whenI have a bit longer stretch. Now as I read it you were kindly asking about Dan Heino's funeral service. Thank you so much for asking me to go with you but I didn't know Dan all that well so hadn't planned on attending. I will endeavour to send sympathies to his family as I felt he was a very gentle and kind man. I would love to catch up with you about it. 
So interesting to hear about the sale of your Islay Inn--man that was quick!! Bravo! However, still not happy to hear about it. Would love to get together with you and Corinne -- for a short visit--coffee tea happy hour whatever. You sound like you are over the top busy though so really understand. Thanks again so much for photos and updates. Lovely to hear from you. Jo-Anne Does this mean you are now a homeless person??Hi Colin! Not yet but a distinct possibility! Cheer, Patrizzzio!

Hi Hop Along! Hope your recovery is progressing well. Must say that you are not the first friend to "miss' details buried in the body of he message text! I have to learn to provide an Executive Summary, it seems! That being said, Dan's Memorial was a very moving affair and more than fitting tribute to him. Like you, I really didn't know him terribly well either but did like and appreciate him in all our various dealings. Although a sad situation, of course, had a chance to catch-up with many former colleagues. Large turnout from UBC, particularly Woodward, as you might expect. 

Appreciate your comments on sale of Islay Inn. Will have a much better idea of what we are doing after our trip this weekend. We'd certainly like to arrange a get-together so will let you know once schedule for next few weeks unfolds. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello there, Its that time when I ask my loved ones for money, sadly not for me but for the youth at Aunt Leah's Place, I would love your support either by joining me on the walk or donating towards our goal!!! Thank you all, Chloe xxx 
To join me at the 2015 Scotiabank Charity Challenge at the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon & 5k and lend your support, please click on the link below.

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/startup.aspx?eventid=154764&langpref=en-CA

If you can’t join me, you can still help by sponsoring my participation in this event. To sponsor me by making a secure donation online, click the link above and search for me. Yours, Chloe 

We just donated 50.00 bucks. I am challenging my aunts, Patti and Pam, to match me!! Go Team Aunt Leah’s Place!! We Love you Chloe!
Thank you Sissy!!! is the "we" you and Winston?? Love it!!! Yes to the Aunts match Ayn and help the Aunt Leah's Team!!! xx The “we” is me, Pierre, Alex and yes, Winni-Winston!!

I played with John Robertson this evening, at Clive's. Neither of us had any cards but on the first round, after a goulash deal, I held seven Spades, with four of the five honours, and six Hearts. I bid 4 Spades first opportunity I had and Byron/BigMac went to 5 Diamonds. I went 5 Spades and was doubled. I redoubled and made contract for 1,600 points, I believe! John held remaining honour and he was void in Clubs with a singleton Diamond so pretty nice fit. Had to struggle thereafter, never meshing, and we finished 3rd, overall, although after normalization everyone was pretty close, about 200 points difference between each place.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment