Wednesday 14 October 2015

Last Long Fall Ride Blues: Wednesday, October 14th!

I would rather try to persuade a man to go along, because once I have persuaded him he will stick. If I scare him, he will stay just as long as he is scared, and then he is gone. -Dwight D. Eisenhower, US general and 34th president (14 Aug 1890-1969)


Hello Nuun Juiced/Lumens Enhanced Werewolf! Trust you are well and not suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, awash as you are in blinding lumens and electrolyte replacements! You'll be ready for some rides when I breeze into town! Can hardly wait!!!

I'm hoping to hike on Thursday but will depend on how much I am able to accomplish beforehand. Have my bag in our bedroom but not yet started to select clothes I'll take overseas. Also have to pack for the week or so we'll be in Vancouver. We are off to Calamity Jane's for dinner with the Pistol-Packin' Mama and Whirlygig, Friday evening. We are staying with Elaine and Ted until Monday morning. Will give you a shout or send a message once we are settled but still plan to collect you on Saturday en route to Trivia Night. Enjoy Yakima! Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Pics: Jugos Dom Pedro with turkey! Henryk and Louise, (house-sitters), with Jura he brought me! Firewood delivered and stacked on Sunday. I've since moved much around side of house.

P & C, looking forward to seeing you two Friday evening at 204 Balsam. Does 6:30 work for you both? We will start with a three hour meditation just to get you prepped for the ashram. Also, do you have any seafood allergies or preferences? We were thinking of oysters and mussels and such. All gluten free - no prairie oysters. Don't know about your weather on the big lake but we are getting some nice sunshine here the next couple days. Fond regards, W & J

Hello Salish Seafood People! Trust you are both well! Looking forward, muchly, to seeing everyone and catching up on Friday. We hope to be in Vancouver, mid-afternoon, so 6:30 pm should be just fine. Cora Lee will be bringing her yoga mat so meditation session will be poifect. I've been sleeping on spikes for last few weeks in preparation for ashram in Varanasi. Speaking for myself, breaded prairie oysters, with hot sauce, is one of my favourite dishes but I'll let Her Ladyship apprise you of her culinary likes/dislikes herself as ever since she suffered agonies from eating a mussel in Japan she approaches these critters with trepidation.

Thanks for weather report. I'm bringing my Trek so I hope we might even have a ride, perhaps on Saturday, with Robo Man and/or assorted ex-Pelotonii! Can hardly wait!!! We are staying with the Keatings until Monday morning so we might even walk to the OK Corral. Does Calamity have a hitchin' post outside her saloon? Will give you a shout or send a message once we are settled. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore, levitating as I scribe!


Hello Networked Falcon Fontainebleau! Trust everyone is well! Glad you had such gorgeous weather for your Thanksgiving. Over the VWF we will be back at Harbour Terrace to stay with Jo-Anne. Cora Lee talked to her yesterday and she will only be there for one night before she heads to Arizona so we plan to have wild parties every night before we fly off! Fondestos, Cheers and Love, Patrizzio!

Hello Favourite Naramatians! Trust you are both well and that visa fiasco is/has been resolved! I'll take care of The Babes, Dom Jugos, in the event you can't make trip! Thanks for latest details on arrival in Chennai, Lynne. Before I forget, we had talked about you leaving your car in our garage. Unfortunately, that will not be possible as there is simply too, too much stuff, yet to be stacked on yet to be built shelving, to allow your car to be parked inside. I do apologize and hope you understand. However, you are welcome to leave your car on our back driveway but I gather you would rather it is under cover. At any rate, let us know and we'll plan accordingly. Hope we can chat, if only briefly, before we leave on Friday. Cheers Patrizzio!

Hi Jean and John! Trust you are both well! Know you are experiencing a very difficult time, Jean. Know that we are thinking about you and send our love. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Lurch and Grog! Trust you are both well! Just a quick note to say hello and wish you all the best with coming surgery. Obviously, you are experiencing a very difficult time, Greg. Know that we are thinking about you and send our love. Fondestos and Love to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Summerlanders! Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you both! Trust your visit with family went exceedingly well. Haven't heard from "Ansel Adams" yet! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Bayswater People! Trust you are both well, warm and clean! Looking forward, muchly, to seeing everyone and catching up on Friday. We hope to be in Vancouver, mid-afternoon, so see you then. Thank you for the last trip installment. We don't need to go to India now! In case we do, Cora Lee will be bringing her yoga mat so she'd like you both to chant while she does the Downward Facing Dog. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Yanti! Lovely to see you this past Saturday at Lang. Great gig! Sax Among Friends!!! Scads more to do before we hit the road on Friday but I wanted to send along some of the snaps I mentioned.  Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Richard Canning's Kick-off; Lang 


Wow! Thank you, thank you for the lovely pictures…Have a great trip to India! Safe travels… I’ll be knee deep into Christmas music when you get back! Cheers, Yanti Hi Yanti! Glad you enjoyed snaps. Thanks for best wishes on our trip to India. Looking forward to it. Talked to Peter this afternoon and he was able to obtain their visas today! Whew!!! Hope we bump into you, at some point, over the Christmas season. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Eunice and Granville! Lovely to meet you this past Saturday at Lang. Cheers, Patrizzio

Thanks Patrick, I didn't realize that you have such a busy schedule coming up!  I will not be hiking tomorrow, but would like to wish you bon voyage, and look forward to hearing all about your trip when you get back. Keep taking lots of pictures.  Best wishes, Hanneke 

Hi Pat, Lovely newsy email...here i was worried that you wouldnt have enough to keep you busy in Penticton but that is far from the truth. Sounds like life is good...you are making retirement look more and more appealing every day.
I realize that we have been invited to a Comedy Show put on by Investors Group each year...it is Monday at 7:30 p.m. If we were able to wangle you some tickets would you be interested in joining us? It is at The Hard Rock Theatre in Coquitlam...we have been many times and it is always a night filled with laughs.
 

Please talk it over with the girls see if its something you might be interested in....I can check into the extra tickets. Or if you prefer we could just get together for dinner or a drink somewhere instead...we would really like to see you two ( three ) before you head away and have seen the show before so either way would be fine. Let me know...I must get ready and head to work teaching a Stability Ball Class this morning and then spending the rest of my day studying for my Sports Physchology MidTerm tomorrow :0...wish me luck!
Talk to you soon! Love Marilyn 


Hi Marilyn! Just a quick note to thank you for offer of trying to obtain tickets but under circumstances, we will have to bow out. We are already so busy with social engagements that a relatively quiet night is what we'd like. Busy every night on the weekend and will be volunteering every night following week, other than Monday in question. Otherwise, we'd certainly have enjoyed the Comedy Show. Of course, we still hope we can connect, so let's see what other alternatives we can come up. Buona Fortuna with your Sports Psychology mid-term. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Louise and Henryk! I just sealed deal with Karl, (Here is his number in case you don't hear from him after a few weeks!), over fridge. He will call our home number when they have received their new appliances. They will put fridge on their covered deck until you are able to collect it. He said he would help load it into pick-up. I will leave a dolly in garage to help with moving.

Just talked to Ray, (Here is his number as well.), and all is arranged with respect to him bringing his truck when it is needed. He is often away from his phone so he wants you to leave a message if he doesn't answer. I presume that sometime in the evening might work for him as he seems to be very busy with delivering firewood right now and for next few months, I presume. Anyway, I'm sure you can arrange a mutually agreeable time.

Have attached a snap of the fridge. Since it is quite tall, I suggest it go where freezer is at the moment. The door can be changed so that it opens from the right and this would work well, from the point of view of access, since it will be close to garage door. I measured the space and there is room for the air-conditioner to go between two appliances. Since it is on rollers, shelving would start above it, etc. All for now as I must "attack" the long list of chores left by Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi again! Forgot to include Karl's address in Figueiras Mobile Home Park, 321 Yorktown Ave, off Skaha Lake Road. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Duhlink! Here is the email I sent along in September. Let me know if you receive this one. Fondestos and Cheers to you and Madcap, Patrizzio!

Thanks patrick - great photos and lovely memories. Have a wonderful trip to India and don't miss fatepur sikri near Agra. We are having kitchen repainted - will send pics when finished. I can hardly breathe with the fumes! Love to all
P + Mxxx
 

Hello Paint Fumes People! Sounds like you need a couple of stiff G/T's! Glad you received he snaps. Thanks for the good wishes for India and tip on Fatepur Siri. I assume it will be included in our tour of Agra but in case not, I'll show my "superior" local knowledge to my travelling companions! (I just spoke to Lady Mary, reading in bed, and she sends her regards.) Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen. Will be in touch while "on the road". Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Cornwall and Goils! Trust you are both well, Gayle and Derek! Just a quick note to say hello before we take off on Friday. Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio, levitating as I scribe! Pics: Krissy with wine, needed for pain relief; one of her designer pizzas; castless at dinner table; wheelchair at Farmer's Market; in line-up for therapy! after therapy! Their Sugar Daddy, Granville. He saw my GI T-shirt and started talking to us. More pain medication!
 
Hi again! Here are the rest of the snaps! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Start of ChloĆ«'s wonderful cornmeal stuffing! Krissy's wounds! 

Another sunny day here so I was in luck for the last ride before we leave for Vancouver. Spent a goodly part of the morning answering/sending messages, trying to have all the important communications sent in advance of departing Penticton as there are all sorts of details that need to be clarified for our house sitters and social arrangements to be made/confirmed when in Vancouver. Once most of these had been dispatched I enjoyed another heaping portion of overleft turkey and gravy, (fuel extraordinaire for coming ride), and once I'd eaten, I suited/lubed up and set off at just before high noon. While the sun was beaming, Aeolus was blasting a very strong north wind, whipping up small whitecaps on Okanagan Lake. This being the case I decided I'd fight the head wind at the beginning of the ride so after warming up with route regulare, (PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside/Vancovuer Ave/Upper Bench), I retraced some of my steps and made for Summerland, zipping into Red Wing for a quick dipsy-doodle before hitting 97. All of the small parks, other than Sun-Oka, between Penticton and Summerland were closed for the winter, bars across the entrance-ways, so I wasn't able to add any additional mileage here.

Still, I was making pretty good progress against the steady head wind so I wasn't overly upset. Soon found myself at Crescent Beach and did three loops of the residential area there and then made for Peach Orchard. Hadn't been up this reasonably challenging climb for some time so rather enjoyed the ascent, if only because I was sheltered from the wind! Had decided that I'd make for the Summerland Golf & Country Club as it is a pretty ride once one leaves the area surrounding the James Lake industrial park. Thought that I'd have the wind at my back by the time I was out of "downtown" Summerland but this was not to be the case. More of a cross-wind but still pretty heavy going as some good, roller-coaster hills until one reaches the flats close to the Canyon View Cemetery. Not long after I was watching people playing golf, some in shirtsleeves as it was so warm when not exposed to the wind.

Circled the parking lot near the clubhouse and then enjoyed the wonderful descent back into Summerland itself. Decided I'd take Peach Orchard back to Lakeshore and then on to Trout Creek. Knew I was in good shape, distance-wise, when I was back on 97 as I had 65 km on the clock. While wind wasn't always pushing me along the highway I certainly wasn't riding into it so that was a relief. Added a few more km by dipsy-doodling around Red Wing North before riding back onto Riverside. I had an appointment to have my ears lowered at 4:40 pm and I was on Lakeshore by just before 4:00 pm with 80 km on my trusty odometre so I knew that I had the time and the energy to make 90+km. Another few dipsy doodles to PTC and then a quick run up Ellis to just past our place where I turned around and made one last run to PTC before heading back on Ellis to pull up in front of Okanoggin Barbers Mens Grooming Room, no less! Peter was just finishing "grooming" a customer so by the time I had brought my Trek inside, (I didn't bring a lock as I didn't want to lock it outside.), and James, the other barber, was very helpful in terms of putting it out of the way. Pleased that I had timed my ride to end, almost to the minute, to make my appointment as well as being extremely chuffed at the glorious ride, certainly a fitting way to say Arrivederci to my new cycling home for almost two months! Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/928131332#.Vh73wgU8aFg.email

Hi Patricio & Mme Coriandre! Quick response .... we had a great time with Bodil & Barend (Bodil left yesterday late, Barend to day at 6:00PM). Very busy weekend. Glad to read that you had a good time with Cloe.

Hope you are hiking tomorrow and that we will still see you before you leave (India is so .... who knows when you will return). When will you leave for Vancouver/India? See you tomorrow? Aart(uro) Sreknord


Hello Reversal Man! Delighted that you had a wonderful, if extremely busy, time with Bodil and Barend. Yes, I am planning to hike tomorrow. We leave for Vancouver on Friday morning, India on October 27th.

Hope I have enough energy for tomorrow's creative blundering as enjoyed a great ride today. Look forward to hearing all about your Thanksgiving weekend tomorrow. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Chloƫ and Krissy at Lang, this past Saturday; Yanti, local singer, (Do you know her?), with Sax Among Friends, also at Lang. Granville, older chap on left, saw my Granville Island T-shirt and came up to chat so we enjoyed getting to know them. Tony/Meryl, younger couple, are friends of Eunice, Granville's amore! Meryl has an ice-cream business and has a booth at the Penticton Farmer's Market, and others, hereabouts, festivals, etc.


Hi George and Jane. Sea food sounds great. Looking forward to the visit and dinner with you two. Have our first real fire tonight. Days are sunny, but the evenings are cool. See you Friday at 6:30, HUGS Corinne

Hi Patrick Look forward to seeing you both on Friday. We have to go up to Kamloops tomorrow, but will be back sometime on Friday. Not sure if we will be home to greet you & Corinne, but please let yourselves in. Laura & James should be upstairs so you can meet the new baby. The bed downstairs is made up and towels on the bed for your use. Towels in the bathroom downstairs are also clean. If you prefer to sleep in the library on the main floor, sheets are on the sofabed but it is not made up. See you soon. Elaine

Hello Bayswater Hilton! Thanks so much for arranging everything so wonderfully, Elaine. I just spoke to Lady Mary, reading in bed, and she sends her regards. I think Mme Coriandre would like to sleep downstairs so we'll let ourselves in and put our things there. Thanks again.

Look forward to meeting Riley and seeing Laura and James. We shouldn't be too, too late on Friday. We are having dinner with Whirlygig and Calamity Jane. They were to come for Thanksgiving weekend but had to stay on Galiano for a memorial service for a friend who died suddenly. Don't know much more than that. Looking forward to hearing all about your "Survivor" trekking! Travel safely and we'll see you, at some point, on Friday. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

 


 
 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment