Saturday 2 August 2014

69th Wedding Anniversary Blues: Saturday, August 2nd!

Silence will save me from being wrong (and foolish), but it will also deprive me of the possibility of being right. -Igor Stravinsky, composer (1882-1971) 


(Are you and mom and Gale/Derrick available either sept. 26/27 for a dinner with Lawier's parents and Matts parents? At yours? But kids will cook.)


Many thanks for email (s) and sorry for delay in answering. All a bit manic at the mo. Have kept the above dates free so this sounds great especially since the only thing we have to concentrate on is what to drink! Perhaps we can even convince them to do the dishes!



Just packing the car to head up to Southampton for the week. We are looking after Tris and I also have to install a glass balcony for Marnie on the terrace of their back garden. Not particularly looking forward to it since I am having back problems and have an X-ray organised when I gat back from Southampton.



Gayle took me to Rock for lunch this week for my birthday which was very enjoyable. The weather was lovely so we ate on the terrace. On Wednesday we took Maur to Budock Vean hotel near Mawnan Smith to celebrate her 71st. 



Gayle was out most of the day yesterday lunching with her ex workmates so I had planned to ride but because of the back decided to take it easy and watch some of the Commonwealth Games instead.



Still have not decided what to do about selling and moving. The thought of finding a new place and all that's involved in moving,not to mention the expense, leaves me cold! We may decide for Maur and Bill to sell their apartment and we remain where we are. Will make a decision over the next few weeks!



Sorry this is so rushed but I need to go fill the car with petrol and check the oil. Should have done that yesterday but didn't get around to it. Best wishes to all, Derek

Hi Derek! Thank you for the smashing snaps! If we hadn't been eating here, so well, of late, I'd have tried to eat the picture of your lunch at Nathan Outlaws! Lovely to see pictures of everyone at Maur's birthday. Please pass along birthday wishes to her. And to you of course! Hip Hip Hooray! We can celebrate at the "catered" bash this September when the Young Crowd are doing the dishes!!!

Sorry to learn that your back is ailing you. Trust it is nothing serious. Over the years I have suffered from some terrible muscle strains in my lower back, (mainly as a result of playing squash), and I know there is nothing more uncomfortable and debilitating. When so afflicted, or even when recovering, even the slightest tasks, (putting away dishes, tidying a desk, making a pot of coffee, let alone installing a glass balcony!), all seem well nigh impossible. Feels like having a heavy grey cloud hanging over one's forehead weighing one down. (Perhaps I'm thinking of a hangover!) Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon.

Can certainly empathize with your thoughts with respect to moving. What an undertaking, at any time, let alone after living in one spot for a goodly amount of time. My friend, Whirlygig, just relocated to Galiano, from Kits, the week before we left for Winnipeg. Felt badly as I really couldn't help him as we were consumed with our own preparations and commitments before trip. Know it was a mad time for everyone in household. Fortunately, seems as if things went as well as can be expected and "settling in" phase is now underway.



Just had some of Dusty's wonderful flapjacks with bacon so I'm off to ride shortly. Cora Lee and many of gang have gone to local Saturday flea market. We are all to be clean and shiny and in our finest by 2:00 pm when the hired photographer will be here to take various group shots. After photo shoot, drinks and appetizers here, from 4:00-6:00pm and then we repair to the Community Centre for anniversary dinner. Should be fun. Fondestos to you and Gayle. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Only had about three hours so I decided I'd do my "basic" South Shore/West Hawk Loop. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/556692872#.U979PC2d2-I.email 

Fortunately, for me, I was back in time to shower and change, ready and presentable, for the photographer at 2:00 pm. Chaos Complete as we were grouped and re-grouped, in various places around the cabin, to take in all the generations and families. At 4:00 pm photo shoot was over and friends and other cousins began arriving for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Had a grand time visiting. Had been some heavy showers just before we started to take pictures but once they passed, afternoon was simply glorious. Not even any bugs!

At 6:00 pm everyone repaired to the Community Hall where the anniversary dinner was to be held. Catered by Sevalas, a firm in Transcona, that "Colonel" Marlow engaged. Terrific food and freely flowing bar, although we had underestimated white wine. Ayn was a wonderful Emcee for the evening. Cora Lee proposed the toast to the anniversary couple and I delivered 90th birthday congratulations to Dusty. Lots of stories from the guests about the young wedded couple so loads and loads of fun. Back home around 10:00 pm to continue visiting with immediate family. A full and most rewarding day!

Young Patrick. I know that it has been a long time since I have written.  I don't use email much as it is a little tricky typing with my vision loss. I am still doing OK, and am on my second series of treatments where they inject medicine int the eyeball with a hypodermic needle... not fun, but it does give some help. There is no cure, but if I can postpone further loss, it is worth the trauma. I am still driving (daytime only) but I can see that that will come to an end sometime.. hopefully later.. I am very careful and don't venture too far. ... no more trips to Montreal with me at the wheel.

I am going on a cruise from LA to southern Mexico on Oct 5 to Oct 13/ I am really looking forward to it. I am going with an old friend from Kamloops. We have been friends for over 40 years.. He will turn 87 on Oct 13th... and he just quit smoking about 2 months ago.. It is amazing, but his voice sounds so much better and his cough is gone.  He is a great guy.

We have had a great summer so far despite a fair amount of fog.. Saint John is famous for it. It doesn't bother me at all... except that I rarely get to take my little convertible out. ... things could be worse.Well my friend, I hope you , Corrine and family are also enjoying a great summer.. I will let you know how the cruise went... Cheers.. Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment