Wednesday 20 August 2014

Bare Knuckle Round Blues: Wenesday, August 20th!

Creative minds are uneven, and the best of fabrics have their dull spots. -HP Lovecraft, short-story writer and novelist (1890-1937) 

 
"Winnipeg’s Union Station was built in 1911 and was designed by Warren and Wetmore, the masterminds behind New York’s Grand Central Station. Be mesmerized by the giant dome ceiling that looms overhead as people bustle through the station."

Patrick James Dunn Picture of the VIA/Union Station brings back all sorts of memories, having taken and met trains there from the time I was a baby, (1947), being taken to Rivers, a kid going to Cyprus, (1949-1957), a university student heading off to Europe, (1969), and then finally travelling to the West Coast, (1974), to study librarianship at UBC!

P, welcome back home to the Islay Social Club. You may have to join me in exile at the North Island Misanthropic Centre -- just to catch a moment of respite. Look forward to a ride and to catching up soon, W

Up at 7:05 am to rejuvenate with a delish java. Digitated away until Cora Lee appeared and we discussed day's plans. She was off to run various errandos so after she departed I moved most of the dining room furniture to the living room in order to wash the floor, using my tired and true, skating towel method. After I'd buffed and polished floors, I suited up and made for the great outdoors.

Wanted to log at least 100 km so made for UBC and then out along Marine to Iona. Pretty strong head wind on way out so I was reminded of many of my runs to Rennie! Once back over the CSTB I dipsy-doodled my way back to Marine, using the shortcut on Barnard, through the industrial park along W 75th Ave. Would have been happier with a higher AVG but under the circumstances, (first lengthy ride since returning), was quite pleased. Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/570051501#

Pulled into the parkade right behind Cora Lee and Ayn, returning from Bellingham. It had taken them over an hour to get through the Massey Tunnel, hitting it as they did, at the peak of rush hour! Chloë arrived, shortly thereafter, as dinner preparations were in full swing and everyone pitched in to help with meal and putting furniture back in place. Cora Lee had prepared a new chicken recipe and it was mind-bogglingly delicious. Taber corn, courtesy of Zircon, boiled new potatoes and a Greek salad, (made by Ayn), and we sat down to feast on the patio.

After the scrumptious meal we started the opening feints and dodges of the family "conference" called by The Sisters, unhappy with my behaviour, Dear Reader, over the course of the Winnipeg/Falcon junket. At this early stage, moved inside as Coriandre didn't want dirty laundry aired outside, even under the Cone of Silence. Lots of impassioned, angry words on all sides but not much resolution as the parties remained entrenched, particular views strongly held and not to be relinquished. Still, probably a healthy exchange for everyone.

After the "counselling" session, downstairs to the Sutherlands as neither Ayn nor Chloë had seen their recent renovations. Place really looks terrific now that The Cave is no-more. Simply opens up the living/dining space. The new flooring and cabinets are very, very attractive so the faulty pipe in the fridge and the ensuing water damage might be considered blessings in disguise. Sarge was allowed to offer me a glass of red to help me overcome the emotional barrage I'd been subjected to but Flamin' would not allow any healing malt!

It had been a long, long day, both physically and emotionally so I took my leave before the others. Brushed and flossed and sank into a blissful sleep. Still many unresolved issues on all sides so not quite sure where all of this will end. Onward! Fight!!!
  • Suzanne Broughton Halpenny long live your legs!
  • Patrick James Dunn Thanks, Suzanne! When are we going to ride, Howard? I will be riding in the Whistler Granfondo, (120 km), on September 6th. Our team has another free ticket for event so if you would like to join us you are more than welcome. Need to know as soon as possible, however, as we'd like to make sure spot is used. Cycle up from Seattle as part of your training! Cheers!

    • Howard Gold I would NEVER make the Whistler Granfondo!! I can't even make it up Marine Drive - I have ridden 10 miles in the last 9 months!! Thank you for the offer though
    • Patrick James Dunn Sorry to hear that you won't be able to join us! Start training for 2015. Let me know when you might be in Vancouver next and perhaps we can arrange a ride together, downhill both ways!
      Dany Ward HI Patrick James Dunn, i have a nice souvenir of you Patrick when you help me to find the best way to leave Vancouver. Remember, you're wellcome in my hose if you come to Sherbrooke, Quebec. Salutation mon ami!
      Patrick James Dunn Hi Dany! How wonderful to hear from you! Of course, I still remember meeting you in Stanley Park and certainly enjoyed following the rest of your marvellous cycling holiday. I was, and still am, truly impressed! Thank you for your generous invitation to visit you in Sherbrooke. My father was born in Vermont, just across the border, south of Sherbrooke, so we plan to visit that area again, in the next few years. Fond regards. Cheers! 
Hi Dad, I sent this to Matt and it came back, can you please forward it to him? Thanks,
  
Hi Matt, How are you doing? Hope you have been enjoying this great hot summer, I’m home from Winnipeg and would love to facilitate any donations you and Catherine have!

We need to start recognizing our foster youth's achievements.
Read more at http://auntleahs.org/recognizing/]
 
Here is my cell number or you can email me here and we can figure out what is best. If it is a fair amount I can arrange someone from the thrift store to do the pickup or I could always drop by? Whatever works. Thanks for thinking of us!   

P, just got your phone message. Should be good to ride Monday to Squamish to return Wednesday?. Can be there by 11:ish Monday if I don't come in on Sunday night. Lemme know if dat woiks. No sag wagon? What's wit dat? W

Walmart Strikes Again -If you just go south and a bit east from Winnipeg------

Hi Colin and Jo-Anne! Unfortunately, didn't have time for a detour to Walmart as we had a pretty tight schedule! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment