Wednesday 6 August 2014

Farmer's Market/Chip Man Blues: Wednesday, August 6th!

You can't do anything with anybody's body to make it dirty to me. Six people, eight people, one person -- you can do only one thing to make it dirty: kill it. Hiroshima was dirty. -Lenny Bruce, comedian and social critic (1925-1966)



To: Mr. Patrick Dunn; What a monster scribe you are! How in the Hell do you remember what you have eaten in such detail. It's like history in high school with me; in one ear and immediately out the other.
 

We spent the weekend up the the Skagit Valley in Washington (near Concrete) It was still damp in the grounds (woods) despite the prolonged warm dry spell we've had. We ate barbecued chicken with Kansas City barbecue sauces. The mosies were few and far between -we are blessed out here on the left coast!

I'd like to ask you if you remember what was the main dish we had when you were here for dinner near Xmas with Robert & Jennifer? Neither Denise nor I can remember.

One comment about your photos of the construction boys: they are doing heavy duty work with sledge hammers, chain saws and wearing running shoes!

Where in the hell are you now; we are in Kits enjoying fabulous weather. Had a fantastic game of singles squash today -5 games 1 full hour against a young buck of about 40 yrs. Yesterday I nearly had a fight with a prick who starting lecturing me in Kits pool! He was an old angry fart of about 55 or 60! Cheers from the Grosses.

 
Hi High School History Drop-out! How could I forget, Friday, December 27th? Such a wonderful evening with Jennifer and Robert, both originally from Glasgow, I believe, although they didn't know Matt Garrey! The bison was superb, not to mention the tasty ancient grain! And the wines, stellare, it goes without saying. However, must admit that I cannot recall if the Domaine de La Cote de l'Ange, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, we brought along, was 2009 or 2010.

At least War Eagle construction workers weren't wearing flip-flops, like chap I noticed in Mexico, a number of years ago now, who was using a jack-hammer!
Haven't been in Concrete in years. Stopped there for a bite to eat on way back from spending a weekend at Lake Chelan. Enjoyed quite a few of the wineries thereabouts. Grogg and Lurchesca have close friends there and were visiting a few weeks ago, in fact. Went all the way to Walla Walla, via Yakima. We saw them at the very beginning of their trip as they left for the Okanagan the next day and went south, across border, near Osoyoos, after a day or two of tasting, thereabouts.

Glad to hear that you have turned into a Grumpy Old Man yourself, wearing your badge with pride, standing up to all the "young bucks" and other "angry old farts" that dare to cross your path!!!

Glad to hear that weather is fine in Kits. Lovely here in Falcon, about 125 km east of Winnipeg, 61 km west of Kenora/Lake-of-the-Woods. Mosquitoes haven't been as bad as we had feared although some evenings are worse than others. Was a busy long weekend with Corinne's parent's 69th wedding anniversary.
Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and Denise. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Cora Lee about to ride, David, neighbour, in background, with Dusty. Clara/Dusty in their front garden with all the grand/great-grandchildren. C/D with their children. Famiglia Dunn/Durston.


Thanks for the quick and lengthy note re the Bison (slow cooked). And the photos. Speaking of flip fops, our hiking guide in Alaska was wearing them - no kidding! Denise's sister had brand new high quality hiking boots on. I hope she has worn them at least three or four times since.

Den & I are just leaving to take our friend's dog Tika for a little hike. Our friend June is in the hospital all day for tests. Cheers, GOF (grumpy old fart)


Hi GOF and Dog Walker Denise! Quite obvious that flip-flops make the wold go around. I think I'll put some cleats on a pair and use them for cycling. Much cheaper and my feet always overheat anyway!!! Nothing that a bit of duct tape and I'm ready for Whistler Granfondo!

Just a bit of a "stretch" ride today so I did my basic "route regulare", South Shore/Falcon Lake townsite/West Hawk Loop for an AVG of 23.3 km/hr over 63.79 km. [Garmin still not sending email once ride is uploaded. Whether of interest or not, map shows where I've been riding, so that is main reason I usually include "Stats"!] Left around 1:30 pm and was back home before day trippers so I had plenty of hot water to luxuriate in when showering.

Munching fresh radishes from garden as we await return of the The Sisterhood and their hostages. Gavin, (Cora Lee's brother-in-law), and Emmett, (Cora Lee's five year old nephew), were only reps of The Brotherhood on outing so they were seriously outnumbered and consequently we fear for their safe return!

Must away as I'm still self-medicating on dark rum, Lamb's Navy, to ease itch of mosquitoe bites. I have a prescription which instructs me to "Take as required."! Cheers, Mid-Shipman Dunn!

Pics: Local Wildlife: The Giants from Tinsel Town with their Aunt Chloë and their Nana! Doe eating Dusty's flowers along with her fawn. Constant Gardner using an axe on poplar suckers invading his raspberry patch!



Garfield Pennington is having a work anniversary.
3 years this August at West End Memories Project.
 
Hi Gaz! Congrats on the West End Memories Project! Miss Marps mentioned this when we last saw them in May. Clara's/Dusty's 69th Wedding Anniversary, in Falcon, this past long weekend. Great family gathering. They send their best wishes to you and Di. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi again, Whistler Wonder Woman! How goes the pre-Whistler riding? Did you ever connect with The Penguin, aka Janet Scott? She is a friend from doubles squash playing days and has taken some spin classes at Westpoint. She said she thought she knew you from there. I have asked Whirlygig, now residing on Galiano, if you are able to be a part of Team Jackal if you are interested and have not already entered. No word to date as I believe connectivity is a problem there. Will let you know as soon as I hear. Let me know about your plans for this event.

Really enjoyed the Field Trip to Islay, (http://scoutmagazine.ca/2014/07/16/field-trip-606-on-drams-of-arbeg-and-drinking-songs-on-the-scottish-isle-of-islay/), which I finally managed to read. Most of the assembled hordes left for the Farmer's Market, in Kenora, about an hour ago, for most of the day there and then back to War Eagle to swim, but I decided to stay behind to enjoy peace and quiet for a few hours! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Here is some great cycling nostalgia!!
 

http://www.velominati.com/nostalgia/breaking-away/
 

Thanks for your updates from Lake country. Sounds like you're having a great time and getting lots of cycling in. I think that I'm going to bail out on the Fondo idea. I know that you haven't actually had confirmation from your team that I could join, but I can't imagine being ready for it right now. My dad has been in the hospital (for 3 weeks, got home last Friday). The folks need quite a lot of help right now - around the house and with planning home health services. So, I haven't been getting in any decently long rides. But thanks for the invitation to join your team. You'll have a great ride, I know it. Big Hello and Hugs to Corinne from me. Sara

Hi Lads! This, (above), just in from Sara so I guess Carlos better make Robo Man an offer! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Sara! Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us for Granfondo. We certainly need someone of your ability but I understand completely. Glad your Dad is home but I gather iit will be some time before you have all the care, etc., in place. Good Luck with that. Not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

You are lucky you are not here as you'd be heading out to War Eagle with Spumoni, Cora Lee, Chloë and Rebekah as The Sisterhood wants to spend all day on the dock there, swimming and sunning. The celebration continues!!! Dusty and I can hardly contain ourselves, we are so distraught to be left alone! I'll certainly pass along your greetings and hugs to Cora Lee tomorrow. Goils will be back around 6:00 pm for dinner. Onward! Fight!! Cheers, Patrizzio!!!


Hi again, Sara! Sorry, I meant to thank you for link to Breaking Away. I simply loved the film and I wasn't even cycling then. Must have been the Italian! Perhaps we should all watch it together before Whistler Granfondo! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi Cyclists and Malt Tipplers! WWW sent along this link to Islay so thought most, (with exception of Robo Man!), might enjoy reading about one of our favourite distilleries. Article gives a very good overview, I think.



Giggster, any word about Sara joining Team Jackal? Should let her know, one way or another, as soon as Carlos has decided. Sarge, are you still interested in training runs to Squamish/Whistler? If so, when are you available? Weekend of August 29th looks about only time for me, other than mid-week of that week. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Cora Lee about to ride. Her first and only to date!


Pat, The Isle of Islay looks very nice. Worth the trip if it wasn't for what they're distilling there.

Pretty quiet life here. Weather has been great but a little cooler today and over the next few days. Pottering around in the garden and using the gym regularly. Lots of good produce and the tomatoes are starting to ripen nicely. Blackberries ripening already and I intend to harvest under the Canada Line Bridge one day soon.

Disastrous tailing pond overflow for a mine in the Caribou area looks very nasty on TV. No wonder there is so much effort to fight against other industries with the potential to ruin our environment for years.

Haven't ridden at all in recent weeks. My brother-in-law, Ed, come over the top on his mountain bike cycling the trials in Prince George. Damaged his shoulder but he should be OK by the time we meet in Oregon if we are able to synchronize our dates.

Just finished 2 of Stuart Neville's books, 'The Ghosts of Belfast' and 'Collusion'. I'll begin a third in the series, 'Stolen Souls', this evening. They need to be read in that order. 'The Ghosts....' was his first novel. Glad everything is going well for you in Winnipeg. Ray
 

Hi Raymond et al! No wonder you don't have time for riding, Whiirlygig is island bound and you are reading non-stop when not gardening! Love cycling here. Cheers, Il Conduttore. PS: Sarge could you do me two favours, make that three: 1) Deposit a million into my chequing account! 2) Please make sure towel warmer racks are off if nobody is staying at The Islay Inn. Send me Andrew's phone number. He has changed his cell, yet again, and I don't have current number. Should be on phone beside our bed, under either Andrew or Anjey. Thanks very much! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pat, On my last 2 visits into Kerrisdale, I have seen 2 cycle accidents, one on Saturday at 33rd and Ravine Park (bike crunched up and rider in the ambulance, and one today at 37th and the Boulevard (a young boy with fire engine and ambulance in attendance). Evidently this is the worst time of year for vehicular accidents.
 

Planning a ride Friday with an old friend who teaches at Churchill School. Might pick some berries on return leg. I'll probably be away when you do the Whistler ride - not fit enough anyway. Ray 

Hi Raymond! The accidents sound quite nasty. Just by chance we were watching news from Vancouver this evening and there was piece on accidents/safety in dedicated bike lanes downtown. One clip shows a car actually driving in a dedicated bike lane then making a right-hand turn in front of a cyclist! You and Sara will have to be our support domestiques if you don' ride! Cheers, Patrizzio!Hi you have a great life! I loved reading about your adventures. I am back at work getting ready for Celtic Colurs- you should visit! Love Rhoda 

Hi again, Ski! How go the pre-Celtic Colours preparations? (Are you sure you should be in charge if you can't even spell the name of the festival: "Colurs"! Guess you are the one enjoying a great life since you don't have to worry about spelling mistakes! Would love to attend but our Fall is already booked right up to and including American Thanksgiving! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Chloë with Pierre this past Saturday.


More great photos, but I think with all that feasting you are going to have to ride your bike back to BC and to eat nothing but lettuce leaves and drink water!
Cheers!


Hi Bread and Water, with a side of lettuce, People!! Must away as I have to feed the rest of teh inmates and the local rabbits! Cheers, Bugs!

Ha ha! Chloe looks miniscule! Just had two friends from st. Claude, Manitoba here for supper. They have left in their trusty mustang to head back to Manitoba. Looks like you guys know how to stretch out a celebration Abrazos a toda la familia! PS I am left to finish the red wine by myself. Just me and the girls!

Hi Solo Red Red Wine Drinker! Where is Brunello? Driving into a tornadoe? You are lucky you are not here as you'd be heading out to War Eagle with Spumoni, Cora Lee, Chloë The Midget, and Rebekah as The Sisterhood wants to spend all day on the dock, swimming and sunning. The celebration continues!!! Dusty and I can hardly contain ourselves, we are so distraught to be left alone! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Marshmallow Queen, Sunday evening. Sam, Alejandro's girlfriend. All the grand/great-grandaughters. Three great grandsons, missing Cody/Dustan, grandsons. Both at work.


Hi Colin and Jo-Anne! Trust you are both well. I'm dulling the moment before the pain begins, surrounded as I am by wall-to-wall relatives, with rum!  Cheers, Patrizzio!

So the bed is ready. Early departure is fine. Bridge game is maybe--depending on whether Mary Ann is in town or not. I probably won't be in touch with Jan now until she gets back from her west coast trail hike. But that is still prior to you getting to The Hat. So we will clarify instructions about ice packs etc.  Hi to Dusty and Clara and all. Jim

So good to hear from you. Yes we made it into the Legacy journals and hopefully they are doing well by it. Are you cycling? Regards, Charles Tremewen - Founder & Distiller Long Table Distillery Ltd.

Hi Long Table Man! Cycling like a fiend although just a bit of a "stretch" ride today, after yesterday's 103 km outing,  Cheers, Mid-Shipman Dunn!
More great photos, but I think with all that feasting you are going to have to ride your bike back to BC and to eat nothing but lettuce leaves and drink water!
Cheers!


Hi Kathryn! Welcome back to work! Just thought I'd send along greetings from Manitoba. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greetings to you Patricio and Corinne. Looking forward to having you two back in the saddle in October….any interest in taking on the bar at Studio 1398 again? Kathryn Hi Kathryn! We are both on for Studio 1398 so sign us up! Time for dinner. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Gang on dock at War Eagle, near Kenora, where Spumoni, CL's youngest sister and husband, Grogg, own a lake front cottage, this past Sunday. Chloë with Pierre, our eldest grandson, this past Saturday.

Hi Open Door Policy Man! Local arrangements are more than wonderful! Thanks so much. We'll play things by ear, regarding bridge, early departure, etc. Thanks and  Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Patrick, We are at the Granville Island Hotel having a glass of wine on the patio and phoned you to join us only to find you are in Winnipeg. When do you return home? We got a good chuckle out of your message but we did not leave a message. We are sorry to have missed you. Dawn

Hi Granville Island Socialites! Truly sorry we missed you! Have been having a smashing time ever since we arrived on July 25th. 69th Anniversary bash, Saturday, August 2nd, was a blast. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: I'll need another prescription when we are back, August 19th! Will you be around?


Patrick, So sorry we will miss you and your lovely wife as we head to Terrace on the 12 th. We just returned from a family reunion (MacLean's) in the Willamette Valley. We did some wine tasting but not as much as we would have liked due to visiting with family. Everyone was there which was great as the kids are getting older and more scattered plus we now even have a grandchild
( my brother's, not us).

Please pass on our very best to Dusty and Clara - amazing to have been together for 69 years and still active and alert. Ayn's boys are huge - Chloe looks like a peanut between them. Great photos and much appreciated. Cheers,
Dawn




Hi Patrick, Fiona here, not Torin. He has commandeered (?) my computer and everytime I go to use something it pops up in his name. Not a big believer in Facebook, as I'll leave it to the 'kid' and others, I already waste too much time on it ! Thank you Pinterest ! Something I never thought i'd get into, now, I feel like writing an article about it. What do people do with the 15,000 recipes they collect ? How many of the articles they post, do they actually use or, my personal favorite, DIY. I have a rather large pile under that which should be called "Yeah, i'll do it one day, maybe". I find it so interesting as a social experiment - while people are being denied education due to sex, child slavery rampant, people who cannot afford to eat, even in developed countries, people are concerned about "My dream wedding", "My dream monster home", "My perfect child", etc. You get the idea. I just came across your name through something totally unrelated; weird how these things work...I have little to do with my family these days, it's always been like that. with a bunch not talking to one for some egregious act, or whatever. Life goes on, I have my own family, and love them to death. I miss some of them occasionally, but do talk to Maura and Liam (very occasionally). Maura disowned the family some years ago due to various reasons, not without validity. She was the glue though, her and Dave could always be counted on for arranging dinners, etc. when family around. I've been up all night, rushing to get home in time to skype someone, then, getting ready to go for a run, which I have only taken up again fairly recently after breaking my foot badly, about 7 tears ago, and couldn't run for so long. I used to be at the gym at least 5 days a week, felt horrible if I missed more than 3 days or so. I just ended up losing a bunch of muscle mass, having people say "If I didn't know you, i'd think you were a junkie or anorexic" !!!!!! Charming, any way you look at it. I have been running outside lately, which I always hated, but I go late at night (which bothers at least 2 of my kids no end) . I have been taking a neighbor's dog with me, which helps, although pretty sedate around here, but some sociopaths moved in down the street (excuse the blabbing, as I said i've been up all night - now listening to Metro Morning & the birds ! ) about 6 weeks ago, and Molly (dog) who is not used to being outside, & gets very excited, hit their $ store fence and I heard this voice say : " What the fuck did you do? we just bought this house & moved in yesterday, give me your name you bitch, i'm calling the police" etc. Much swearing. Than they discovered poor Molly had shit 1 piece on the the sidewalk. She really got mad then (all 300 lbs of crazy). Made her husband go check the road, at which point I just had to say something , like "Uhh, are you insane? we were not running down the middle of the road" etc. So, i've since found out they rent the place, confronted her with this fact when she followed Torin and I one night, she accused me of not returning their calls : I said that i'd received 1 call, telling me you had found 1 piece of shit on sidewalk, and to "Wear your glasses, as it's very small" !!!!!!", as it had rained, and I hadn't listened to messages for a few days, I knew it had rained, So, not only are they sociopaths, they have the first ( they should go on Dragons Den!) dogshit DNA detector ! Seriously wacked. So, cut down on my running as they seem to appear at the oddest hours, and she yells at me the same thing : " You bitch you, get over here or i'm going to kill you. You ruined our fence and your dog shits all over (?)" and on and on. But, they scared the shit out of Torin about 3 weeks ago, we were out walking one night, around 11:00, she saw us, we ignored them than Torin said "Mom, I think someones following us", turn around and fattie is on her way down the sreet. We went into someones yard, who just happened to be getting a pizza, she comes up to us, ask's Torin who he is, says my son, then she actually said "Is that true?", then, we felt like being followed by a car. Sure enough, them. I went with the dog and hid (as they didn't know where we lived, and didn't want them knowing, for obvious reasons, so eventually, late, rush back to old lady's house, rush in (she never lets us in as house covered in hair, dog, cat, etc. General mess), tell her we have to come in. Explain why. Torin, meanwhile had gone down the road to deflect actions, the guy FOLLOWED him, in a house coat and slippers. Poor Torin, he managed to escape, but was so upset, cried, had to sleep with me etc. He did say something funny though, : "Well, we know who wears the sttetch pants in that family" !! I should of called the police then, but always circumspect about that, but then I found out from neighbor that they parked in front of her house, one night when they followed me and saw her 'walking' me home, although I asked her not to. So, after that long preamble (Rocky would kill me), she won't let me take her dog out as she said she's "Been spooked". That's when I said " oh, just from those crazy people" and she said "Oh no dear, after they started parking in front of my house, she's still acting up". OMG. That's how I found out they were following her, she doesn't go out, I took dog to vet recently, first time since he was adopted by her, along with brother who recently died, but when Donovan pointed out that although a totally harmless dog, (She really is unreal, walks by dogs, cats, whatever and doesn't even pay any attention), if she bit someone, or something happened, I would be responsible. So, after having the city here at least 3 times over our horrible winter, when lots of freezing pipes, they asked f they could use my water to hook hers up, then they said "Can you call social services or something as we think there's something wrong with her ". Uh, no. I asked if she didn't have a family or something, "Yeah, he lives up Avenue Road and doesn't want to bother him". Great. Avenue Road is very swanky, so weird. Eventually, 1 day she asked for help getting her recycling bin out of frozen ground, I realized she wasn't crazy,just very insular and has health problems that make her afraid to go out. So, I ended up taking care of her dog, Now, I could of just told you I went for a run with neighbours dog, but no, why stop there? Sorry to go on, i'm so fed up. I've had someone recently taken up with threatining me over text messaging, have to move, Caribanna last week end, & had to be at Eatons center on Sat. night and had 3 angry chicks threaten me (evidently I was looking at one of their faces, actually looking at door), so this angry, drunk thing comes over and tries to push me down subway stairs. Her friends had to restrain her, 1 person asked me if I was all right. Surreal. I also had another near death experience, once again med. related (I'm being tested to see what i'm allergic to), the only reason I say that is because I saw Rocky again, I never see him in dreams, love him forever, think about him every day, but only see him when i'm on the verge of dying myself. Freaky. How are you and Corinne holding up these days ? Did Chloe ever move ? I thought she was in Winnipeg, managing a store ? That's the last I recall hearing about her... Enough about me. Julian was in Banff for a few months, working at the Fairmount, but not all he thought it may be , so he came back on my birthday, and surprised the shit out of me!!! Happy though. He's working with Donovan, which is not the best as you can imagine, for Donovan anyway as he wasn't consulted and it was all done without his knowledge. So, he has to be Jules "Boss" to an extent, which Julian, doesn't appreciate. On the plus side, they have jobs !! Forgive me for going on Pat, it's late (early), but let me know how life is with you guys. Take care/Fiona
Hi Fionna, or should I say Rocky! Lovely to hear from you, if only serendipitously, stream-of-consciously! Sorry to hear about all the family rifts. Life never was easy being a member of Clan Sanders! Speaking of which, we saw Adrian, (as well as Maya, Declan, Lynette), and his new girlfriend, Fionna, (!), at the Vancouver Folk Festival, weekend of July 18th/19th/20th, as well as his two boys, although they were fast asleep at the time! Few days later we were on the road from Tuesday, July 22nd until Friday, July 25th, when we arrived here in Falcon Lake, at Cora Lee's parents, for a large family gathering to celebrate their 69th wedding anniversary. Most of the festivities took place this past long weekend and it was loads of fun, as you might imagine.

Hope to have a chance to visit Noreen this coming weekend as we are driving Chloë back into city for a few days before she flies back to Vancouver. Take care of yourself with your wacky neighbours. Do you live in Toronto or Gaza? Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Wow ?!!?!
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment