Monday 11 August 2014

Great Trek to Dauphin/Clear Lake Blues, Monday, August 11th

The true civilization is where every man gives to every other every right that he claims for himself. -Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899) 


Arguments over grammar and style are often as fierce as those over Windows versus Mac, and as fruitless as Coke versus Pepsi and boxers versus briefs. -Jack Lynch, English professor, author (b. 1967) 

Hi Prairie people! Glad you are having a good time generally swanning around and enjoying good food, wine and company! As for us, we returned to Cornwall on Saturday morning. Because we have enjoyed such good weather this summer the roads heading into the Westcountry are a nightmare. 

The finished project!
Consequently, we left Southampton at 6am and had a relatively good run down. The traffic was still heavy but no major hold ups. Marnie, Ant, Tris and the dog arrived on Sunday to spend the week in Cornwall. While we were in Southampton last week, friends of Marnie and Ant, who live near them, used our place for the week with their two children. The kids fell in love with Spuddy!

With the dog here we have a routine where Spuddy spends the day sleeping in our bedroom out of sight of the dog and at night the dog sleeps in our room and Spuddy comes to life and has the run of the rest of the house! It seems to work well since Spud always sleeps for a goodly 12 hours during the day now. 

Gayle pretending to be a kid again!
Had a successful week in Southampton installing Marnie's glass balustrade. As with all these projects it took longer than anticipated and I only managed to finish it on the Friday afternoon. The efface where the balustrade was to be installed had been back filled with rubble which made it difficult to excavate the necessary holes for the posts to be installed. However, fortunately I had brought all the necessary tools, pick, crowbar and sledge to break up some of the larger pieces. Have attached a photo of the finished work. I am for hire! Gayle and I did manage one night out to a very nice restaurant in Beaulieu call Monty,s. Marnie dropped us of and picked us up so I didn't have to worry about drinking and driving.

During the mornings, while Marnie was working on her thesis, we took Tris out and about, usually ending up having a picnic lunch somewhere and in the afternoon I worked on the balustrade while Gayle entertained the little one. How you forget how tiring little children can be!

Got up this morning and after breakfast, took Whistler for a nice walk. Then Gayle and I went into Truro since I had some banking to do and Gayle needed a few things. Marnie, Ant and Tris went to Falmouth to gaze at the boats in the Marina then walked into the town for a fish and chip lunch at Rick Steins near the Maritime Museum. Since Marnie is a vegetarian I am cooking a very tasty recipe for vegetarian burgers tonight for dinner. Have tried them before and I must say they are quite delicious. Gayle has made a gluten free lemon drizzle cake topped with blueberries and raspberries for desert. Must bring the recipe with us to make for Cora Lee.

It's high tide at 6pm so will take the dog to Perranporth beach for a run and swim (the dog I mean. Water far too cold for me!) Best wishes to all, Derek


Tell Dusty nice shirt. I am going to be in Barrier the long weekend in Sept so not available on the 29th. When do you guys get back to BC Wayne

P, apologies for all the unresponsive. Like the unread, some of us are challenged by the lethargy of the Republic. Messengers on horseback are easily distracted by the flora and fauna like one infamous Big Al.

I am impressed and envious of your rides on the flat earth even though even the mighty Garmin is being overwhelmed by your stats. The fearless leader of Team Jackal, Carlos himself, is being noncommittal about the ride. I have been prodding him -- sending my best envoys to pummel his ramparts and yet he remains indecisive. I predict he will not do the ride. He has given one of five tickets away. YOu and I will ride and I am trying to see what else he wants to do with the remaining tickets -- assuming he will not ride.

Carlos is into the reno on his own house (all new basement and foundation) and as such has moved into the suite below my former residence. More importantly that cuts into my crash pad possibilities with the current estrangement with the sisterhood. All of which was to say that Carlos has some distractions from his strict focus on terrorist activities.

Remind me of your schedule of return to the rainforest. Fond regards to you and the Falconeers, W


Thank you for keeping us in the loop.  You do such a fine job of including everyone. You have been traveling a lot.  Either that or I am getting a couple of years squashed together. Glad to hear it. Retirement is such a good idea.  Laury says he will be retiring as soon as they find a replacement.  It sounds to me that noone is looking and I don't suppose Laury is pushing.  Nora is finding retirement busy one minute and looking for something to do another.  I think it is good that she is figuring it out before Laury enters the mix. 


Next month we are going Las Vegas direction for about 2 weeks.  Then in October we go to FL as we are meeting up with Laury in Ashville, NC.  Laury thinks this area is great.  In the past we have driven thru the area  but stopped so are looking forward to the trip. After that we haven't made plans until April 2015 when we are taking a Holland river cruise. I guess that is all the news from here. Gail

Hi Pat, hope things are well! I see you are enjoying life bona fortuna as usual. I have something I want to drop off for you, so just wondering if there's a good time and place this week or next when you will be home? And please, do not surprise me with a dinner party! Or at least tell me ahead of time if I am walking into one haha Take care, VL
Patrick, We feel like we were just in Winnipeg having lunch at Mise you provided such detail. Our days lack the activity of your days. We are in the process of making dinner for the kids tonight as we head home to Terrace tomorrow. Well actually Gerry is making Parmesan Chicken with mixed beans, corn and mixed lettuce and tomato salad, all produce from the Kitsilano Market which we went to yesterday. The market had a tremendous selection of fresh produce but it is pricey.

We have spent a bit of time at the pool as the weather has been excellent. They changed the pool to salt water which is very nice. The other night I looked out and there were 5 large raccoons inspecting the pool - they didn't go in fortunately. I guess they live in the shrubbery somewhere here as when I mentioned it to others here they knew about them. Well that is enough chatter for now. Cheers to all, Dawn

From Marlo: "Hi everyone, here is the link to the folder in DropBox with the photos from the photographer Marlis as well as ones I have added from our time together. Please add any photos you have to the folder and they will be shared by all."
Chloe Alexis Dunn Hey so my cousin Cody Ziemanski is looking for work as a Level 1 electrical apprentice. He lives in Winnipeg and is a great guy, he is willing to move to BC!!! Message me or him if you can help or know of a lead. Thanks!!






No comments:

Post a Comment