Wednesday 17 September 2014

Chamber Maid/Scullion/Garbician/ Cat-Brushing Blues: Wednesday, September 17th!

It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there. -William Carlos Williams, poet and physician (1883-1963) 



Hi Lagger Naggers! Thank you for being so accommodating with respect to my tardiness! I had planned to send along an email for your Spam folder after having received latest notification. As always, no excuses but plenty of reasons! Short answer is that I'm hoping Whirlygig might join Cora Lee and I in early November to do a wine run! Will let you know as soon as we've hammered out trip details, dates, etc.





  • Patrick James Dunn Don't you ever stay home? Where in the world is this, Dear Host Daughter?
  • Nadienka Wyss that picture was shot at Elephant point near Pottuvil, Sri Lanka. I'm currently back and at work as well. But as you may know, travelling brings joy to the heart! how are you?
  • Patrick James Dunn Couldn't be better. Volunteering at two festivals, VIFF and VWF andthen off to California to taste wine/cycle in late October, early November for two weeks! Cheers!
Have been on Vancouver Island since this past Friday, house/cat sitting for friends, Grogg/Lurch. I cycled over, putting pontoons on my Trek for water crossing! Cora Lee and Gayle/Derek, (house exchange couple from Cornwall), and Toshi, (former ESL boarder), drove over on Saturday. They left yesterday as Toshi was being picked up by a friend from Everett today. She will spend a few days with her then fly to Shasta, (for a business meeting), LA, (where she will stay with Ayn/Los Horridos), San Diego and then back to Tokyo.


At Madrona manor again cat sitting. Rough assignment

Weather has been simply gorgeous since arriving. Bit cloudy today but this is really first time so visitors saw this beautiful part of VI at its best. 
 
Going to fix myself breakfast shortly and then I want to ride Englishman River Falls Provincial Park, about 15 km +/- from where river flows into the ocean. However, I'll take a circuitous route to get there, riding the many quiet country roads thereabouts. I plan to end my "official" ride at the Kathok Meditation Centre, Centre of Clear Light, about halfway between Coombs and Errington. There is quite an impressive Tibetan Buddhist Temple there. The grounds are open to the public and Derek and I rode by there this past Sunday. He stopped but I didn't, of course! Today, I'll be able to touch The Burning Ground there, once I've logged the distance I've set, (Probably around 70 km as I'll need to be ready for tomorrow's ride back to Nanaimo to catch ferry and then from Horseshoe Bay to Vancouver, about 66 km in total.), and satisfied my obsessive-compulsive needs! Want to take some pictures of the Golden Buddha and interior of temple itself, if only to prove how flexible I am when it comes to cycling!!! While temple itself is usually locked, when not in use, large windows allow wonderful views of the inside.

Fondestos to you both. Trust harvest continues to go well. Cheers, Patrizzio The Sluggard!

Pics: Intrepid kayakers; Cimcky, (Actually named after a wonderful winery in Barossa, Charles Cimicky. We'd visited it a number of times on earlier trips to OZ and then with G/L in 2006); fond farewells; flotilla last night; brushing spoiled boy this morning!

Hello Mainlanders! Some of you know that I have been on Vancouver Island since this past Friday. I had planned to send along an email, Matt, after having received your request for contact info for Sir Andrew. As always, no excuses but plenty of reasons! Short answer is that I don't have either an email address or a phone number. I'm sure Carters can help. Cheers, The New Patrizzio, Latte and Sticky Bun Rider! 

Chasy, sorry for the slow response. Susan came on Monday and it has been busy here. Great, fun visit.

I will join you for both tournies. I dont know yet how and when I will travel to SF or when i might return. So you may wanna book your flights and let me know what you are doing and when. Leave for the Wrightson Thursday or earlier. Let's return from the Wrightson on Monday. I think that is always preferable if you can. Are the Beavers away for a long time or just when we are there? Have a good trip north, Goonish.


Bro Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you had a good visit with Susan.
Ok, Kate and I will book our flights and let you know the timing. I will plan to come home from Wrightson and SF on the Mondays. I think the Beavers are away for several weeks. I will look into staying at the university club while we are at the tourney. Give me some thoughts on when you might arrive. I will be in PG tomorrow and Friday but on email. Goonish, Charlie
  
P, you can ignore the last missive. I hit the trigger a little prematurely. My intention was to share the dates with you. Visit to Parksville: Much to my surprise Susan did finally show here and we had a wonderful visit. I will head to Seattle in early October to visit her. She just go on the ferry tonight.

I will play the Wrightson (Oct 17, 18, 19) and the SF Open (Oct 31, 1 &2 Nov) - weekend. which are essentially two weekends apart. We never concluded our conversation on whether you might be in a position to go south at that time. I could stay on in Portland OR in SF to do some riding, exploring... I would have accommodations for both of us in Portland. SF -- before or after the tourney.

Please give me an update on Sarge when you can. I wanna know about his health not his bridge score. Safe riding, W


Hi Goonish! (Pray tell?) Glad you enjoyed Susan's visit. I suspected something or other had come up. Not a big deal but we must try to orchestrate a visit at some point.

As I mentioned, I'm finished volunteering with VWF as of Sunday, September 26th so can leave as early as Monday, the 27th, if that suits you. Given timing of Wrightson I assume you may well wish to return to Vancouver/Galiano before heading back to SF. Perhaps not. We could meet in Portland if you decide on an extended holiday. I'd like to stay with Michaelo and Marilyn Oliver as I've not seen them since last year. I know you are welcome as well.

We would then drive to SF, tasting en route. I will probably stay in Berkeley with friends, David/Nancy. Again, you would be welcome but we can chat about where and when a bit later. Once tourney is over I suggest we hightail it to Healdsburg to stay with Pat/David Coffaro. Funnily enough I just had a message from her this morning saying they are away from November 5th to 15th. I'm sure we could stay the nights of the 2nd/3rd/4th, unless you have other plans for those dates. Be terrific to show you some of the rides thereabouts and discover new routes as well. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Up at just before 7:00 am in spite of reading until 1:00 am. Zapped my mug of java and then stripped the bed to put on a load of laundry. Will make it once sheets and pillowcases are dry. Plan to wrap myself in a blanket tonight and sleep on top of coverlet. I know I'll be just as comfortable, or more so, as being under the covers. Room is quite warm even with sliding door open and since arriving I've been sleeping with just a sheet over me, Cora Lee under the duvet with an additional blanket, while she was here. This way I won't have to do much on the morrow. Want to leave by 8:00 am to have plenty of time to catch 10:40 am ferry. Forecast is for showers around 10:00 am tomorrow so hope to be at ferry terminal by then!

Had planned to leave for my ride around 9:00 am but it started to rain around that time so after breakfast, (yogurt and cereal with a banana chopped into mix), I answered a few messages. By the time I'd made the bed it was close to 11:00 am and it was drizzling steadily. Decided I'd vacuum place since I was still hoping rain would let up. After this chore was completed, laid the fire and emptied the dishwasher. Still drizzling so I hied myself downstairs and, taking a page from Derek's book, I spent almost an hour reading and enjoying being tenderized. 

Sky looked a bit brighter by 1:00 pm so after a bite of lunch, (overleft steak bits), I lubed myself with sunscreen, suited up and headed out close to 1:45 pm. Initially, I had thought I'd make for Englishman River Falls but with uncertainty surrounding weather, I decided I'd stick fairly close to home until it seemed prudent to venture further afield. This being the case I did the tried and true Resort/Rathtrevor/ER Estuary Loop and by the time I was over the bridge and into Parksville proper, drizzle had become but an occasional drop or two and it looked like the sun might even break through the low cloud cover. 

Since I had about 27 km on the clock by this time I reasoned I need not ride to ERF but turn right out of Errington, along Grafton, to take me past the Kathok Meditation Centre, Centre of Clear Light, about halfway between Coombs and Errington. There is quite an impressive Tibetan Buddhist Temple there. The grounds are open to the public and Derek and I rode by there this past Sunday. He stopped but I didn't, of course! Today, I'd already steeled myself to touch The Burning Ground there, once I'd logged the minimum distance I've set for a ride, (51.33 km), and thereby satisfied my obsessive-compulsive needs! Wanted to take some pictures of the Golden Buddha and interior of temple itself, if only to prove how flexible I am when it comes to cycling!!! While temple itself is usually locked, when not in use, large windows allow wonderful views of the inside.

All went according to aforementioned plan and I was delighted to note I had 45 km on my odometre when I rode past temple. En route I had decided I'd continue past the KMC and make for Pratt Road at the end of Grafton. I'd ridden this part of the route on earlier visits but I didn't know exactly where it intersected with the Alberni Highway. I assumed it was west of Coombs and I was right. However, when I reached the AH I was farther away than I had expected and in my confusion I followed 4 to take me towards Qualicum Beach. I did turn off on 4A, the right road, but though this would take me to Port Alberni, rather than past Coombs, so dipsy-doodled and doubled back. Wrong on both counts but by the time I gained my bearings I was a very long way from where I wanted to be and to retrace my steps would have meant a significant uphill grind. Weather, time and common sense told me to cut my losses so I continued on to QB and once there it was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy as I know this route like the back of my hand!

Had I taken either Station Rd or Winchester Rd, off Grafton, I'd have been fine. As things turned out the Golden Buddha will have to wait until my next visit for me to say my mantra in front of the temple: "I will stop for lattes. I will touch the Burning Ground! I will eat sticky buns!" In spite of disappointment at not managing a closer look at temple the outing was a grand one, in spite of the light rain at the start. Temperature was quite warm, surprisingly, very humid in fact, at outset. Home by 5:30 pm or so. Stats for ride:


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/593126002#.VBpTrOz7qOo.email

Went inside to get key for mailbox and collected mail,  a long block or so, down the street, before rinsing off my bike. First time I've ridden in rain since Falcon Lake! After showering and changing I made a salad for dinner and while my "melange" was simmering on the stove I packed a lunch for tomorrow.

Going to miss life at Madroña Manor as there really are some wonderful rides here and location is more than pleasant. Still, very busy time ahead back in Vancouver. Have settled al my shifts for VIFF and am very pleased that they are all at Pacific Cinémathèque. Orientation for all volunteers is this coming Tuesday, September 23rd and my first shift is on Thursday he 25th, right through until Thursday, October 2nd, missing Monday, September 29th. All but one are from 9:15 am until 2:00 pm so I'm fine for NRBC on the 28th. Can even get hammered and then sleep in!

Trust all goes well with life in the Independent Island State of Galiano. Haven't heard a peep about Sarge. When I chatted with Coriandre lastereven she had not seen any of Clan Sutherland since returning to The Islay Inn. Will call home shortly as I'm curious as well. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Pics: Sunday night on our patio, Jim, Deb, from next door, with Toshi; CL, Derek and Linda, Steve's wife; Gayle and Stefano, (they worked together in Truro, Cornwall); Val and John Tibbles, (Lurch's step-mother/father), brunch on Monday; Ki, Flat-Coated Retriever, one of two, owned by L/S; Monday evening, next door with Deb and Jim; view from their deck.


Hi Debbie and Jim! Just a quick note to thank you both again for lovely evening at your wonderful, wonderful home. As well, many thanks, Deb, for taking Gayle and Toshi around in kayaks. I know they enjoyed themselves immensely. As well, thanks, Jim, for help storing the kayaks. Perhaps we should have put them in the wine cellar after removing about fifty cases to make room!!!

Trust all will continue to go well with landscaping and then garage. Please call if you are in Vancouver as we'd love to have you over for a drink, meal or stay, depending on your schedule. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Monday evening, next door with noisy neighbours! 


Ok, that sounds great - a visit in November - keep in mind though that we will be away from November 5-15...wouldn't want to miss you! Is Whirlygig also known as Ted Keating - or is that someone else?

I had to look on a map of VI to follow your adventures there. Sounds like a lovely time. I'm glad you actually were able to touch the "Burning Ground" and visit the temple. I see that there is a ferry between Nanaimo and Horseshoe Bay, which of course you alluded to but I had to see it on a map to actually visualize your trip and then your bicycle trip all the way back to Vancouver! How is Corinne getting back home? Next time we're up your way, I would like to take that ferry ride over to VI if we have the time.

Thanks for the updates. Our best to Sarge! Talk to you soon, Pat

 

Hi Pat and Football Man! Glad you enjoyed the update but I assume you are so busy with harvest that you didn't have time to follow some of the details. Corinne drove over and back. I leave tomorrow, by bike. Didn't actually visit temple today. See below for details!

As I mentioned, I was going to iron out November trip details with Whirlygig, (George Maddison not Ted Keating!), and I received a missive from him this evening. For my part, I'm finished volunteering with VWF as of Sunday, September 26th so can leave as early as Monday, the 27th, if that suits Giorgio. We would probably stay with close friends, Michaelo and Marilyn Oliver, in Portland, on way south as I've not seen them since last year.

We would then drive to SF, tasting en route. I will probably stay in Berkeley with friends, David/Nancy. Giorgio will probably stay in SF with friends while squash tourney is on. Once tourney is over I've suggested we hightail it to Healdsburg on Sunday, November 2nd, for a night or two. If your offer to stay in your guest house still stands, we'd love to take you up on it. However, please don't worry if you have other guests or timing is off, given the fact that you will be away as of November 5th. We can sleep in a cheap ditch somewhere, I'm sure! Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Below are sad details of non-visit to temple. Haven't heard a peep about Sarge. When I chatted with Coriandre lastereven she had not seen any of Clan Sutherland since returning to The Islay Inn. Called  home just before sending this message and he is doing very well, almost finished knitting a sweater for Avery and is to start on a cross-stitch project next. Who knew that Sarge has a Martha Stewart interior! Cora Lee thinks he is going to a Seahawks game in a couple of weeks. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Ah, that timing is bad for us. We will be hightailing it out of here early ourselves to spend some time with Kate and also Dave's mother before we take off on our cruise. If you could get here on the weekend and be able to leave on Monday morning, that would work for us but am not sure that would work for you. Sort of like giving you the bum's rush....sorry about that! If it ends up not working this time, then let's do it another time. We definitely would like that!

Sorry that you didn't get to visit inside the Temple....next time! Thanks for the update on Sarge...knitting and cross-stitching, WOW! Let us know when you finalize plans for November. Hope to connect! Pat


Hi Patrick, Wayne sent me the below email I responded but of course it got bounced by the RCMP server as he is on leave could you forward this or give it to Wayne please as I don't have any other email address. Cheers Greg .

Great to hear from you Wayne, I have been keeping in touch with Patrick rather than bother you and your recovery.

The general plan is to arrive Vancouver on Alaska Airlines flight AS 703 at
1703hrs on Monday 6 October all going well. Then we have until Monday
morning 13 October when we depart your fine city at 0800 hrs on Air Canada
Flight AC 1842 bound for San Francisco. What happens in this gap is entirely unplanned but could involve everyone else eating, drinking, sightseeing and a little light exercise whilst you relax and undertake the necessary recuperative actions required to return you to full health. We do however want to have a chat about doing the inside passage on our next visit to your end of the world. Cheers Greg and Claire 


Hi pat here is hobbsy's email. we are in bend oregon for a few days and have had some great bike rides. You would love it here full of keen cyclists who never want to touch the ground. Polly and I pottered around about a 50km loop today called the two bridges loop. Lovely weather , lovely scenery and lovely beer.
we are off to crater lake tomorrow staying in the rather expensive lodge there, but worried that forest fires in the area may hamper our trip. On the way home we are staying in Yakima to sample some wine! cheers mick ps how is sarge doing?


thanks patrick for your help with this regarding andrew;from matt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment