Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Sisterthood Kayak Blues: Tuesday, September 16th!

Ships that pass in the night and speak each other in passing; / Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness; / So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another, / Only a look and a voice; then darkness again and a silence. -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet (1807-1882)


Hey Patrick, Well first off I hope the Fondo went well. I had a fantastic time with my parents, thanks so much for asking, but alas I am back to the grindstone now. The picture turned out great, you caught my good side :D

That is amazing you ran into Christine, she was a fabulous guide to have
on the Trek camp. She even beat me up a few climbs! I hope you are well recovered after the ride and I will see you some day at 10th. Matt

 

[Patrick James Dunn Are The Horrido Brothers coming up to take Nana!] Up at 6:00 am to let Cimcky out and then back to bed for a snooze until 6:30 am. Zapped a mug of java and then took a few snaps of the sun coming up, coastal mountains stunning, multi-hued, blue cut-outs behind and beyond Mistaken Island. Gayle came upstairs close to 7:00 am to make a couple of cups of hot lemon water and then returned to the depths of the lower level.


Once everyone was up I started to assemble what needed to be packed in the car. Cora Lee concocted a delicious omelette for breakfast, frying up plenty of bacon so that The Birthday Boy could have his treat! Just after 9:00 am Gayle and Toshi went for a short kayak paddle with Deb who had very kindly offered to take them to have a look at the sea lions at the end of the bay. Derek was to have joined them but could not extricate himself from the massage chair! Finished loading the car once we'd helped carry kayaks to the water's edge and launched the intrepid explorers. Calm, flat surface, little, if any breeze, so the paddle looked very promising.

Once I'd packed all the baggage that was ready to be loaded, Cora Lee and I made up two of the three beds that had been used and then the landlubbers settled in, (reading, messaging, massaging), until The Sisterhood returned.  Kayaks Ahoy about 10:30 am so the stevedores returned to mule craft back up to the house. I helped Deb carry hers to their place and Gayle and Derek took one Gayle had used, then I helped Derek with one Toshi had been in. Rinsed off both craft and left them to dry in the sun. ASked Gayle if she or Jim would give me ahand to take them inside later this afternoon, probably after I return from my ride.

Last few pieces of baggage into car and the Ferry Bound Folk were ready to leave. A number of farewell snaps, (I won't see Toshi before she leaves for Seattle on Wednesday.), and hugs and Titanium Green pulled up the driveway. (Deb had come over just as crew were leaving and gave each of us their card so we can keep in touch and exchange photos.) Back inside I tidied up a bit and then put last load of sheets in the dryer. Plan to go for a ride to Bowser shortly so must away for now. Cheers, Patrizzio! 



Cora Lee is to cook bacon for Cimcky as this special meal/treat was overlooked on his 7th birthday, yesterday! Once gang depart, (They plan to catch the 12:50 pm ferry.), I intend to head to Bowser. Might be the last long ride of my stay as weather is supposed to deteriorate by Wednesday. Trust that it won't be wet on Thursday morning when I must needs head back to Departure Bay.

Hi Patrick, I'm sure you've probably received the notice we sent yesterday to all 96 of our customers with outstanding 2012 wine orders! Yes, you are among the "laggers," but in your situation, we can overlook your "tardiness," Just let me know if you have a plan so that we can set your wine aside somewhere and not drink it :-) ! Cheers! Pat 

Up at 6:00 am yesterday to let Cimcky out and then back to bed for a snooze until 6:30 am. Zapped a mug of java and then took a few snaps of the sun coming up, coastal mountains stunning, multi-hued, blue cut-outs behind and beyond Mistaken Island, tiny, privately owned island about a km away, directly in front of Madroña Manor. Gayle came upstairs close to 7:00 am to make a couple of cups of hot lemon water and then returned to the depths of the lower level.


Once everyone was up I started to assemble what needed to be packed in the car. Cora Lee concocted a delicious omelette for breakfast, frying up plenty of bacon so that The Birthday Boy, (Cimcky! 7 years old.), could have his treat! Just after 9:00 am Gayle and Toshi went for a short kayak paddle with Deb, neighbour next door, who had very kindly offered to take them to have a look at the sea lions at the end of the bay. Derek was to have joined them but could not extricate himself from the massage chair! Finished loading the car once we'd helped carry kayaks to the water's edge and launched the intrepid explorers. Calm, flat surface, little, if any breeze, so the paddle looked very promising.

Once I'd packed all the baggage that was ready to be loaded, Cora Lee and I made up two of the three beds that had been used and then the landlubbers settled in, (reading, messaging, massaging), until The Sisterhood returned.  Kayaks Ahoy about 10:30 am so the stevedores returned to mule craft back up to the house. I helped Deb carry hers to their place and Gayle and Derek took one Gayle had used, then I helped Derek with one Toshi had been in. Rinsed off both craft and left them to dry in the sun. Asked Gayle if she or Jim would give me a hand to take them inside later that afternoon, probably after I returned from my ride.

Last few pieces of baggage into car and the Ferry Bound Folk were ready to leave. A number of farewell snaps, (I won't see Toshi again, before she leaves for Seattle on Wednesday.), and hugs and Titanium Green pulled up the driveway. Back inside I tidied up a bit and then put last load of sheets in the dryer. Planned to go for a ride to Bowser, about 40 km north of where The Millionaires live. By the time I'd had a bite to eat and suited up it was close to 1:45 pm. Followed what has become one of my standard routes, (through Tigh-Na-Mara, a lovely log cabin resort, Rathtrevor Provincail Park, next door, and then down to estuary of the Englisman River.

Next I entered Parksville itself and followed a dedicated bike route to next community north, Qualicum Beach. Once through this lovely spot I was back on the Island Highway West. However, by this point it is a far less busy thoroughfare, with wide shoulders. I've cycled it numerous times before, on past visits so feel very comfortable riding this stretch. Wind was at my back so I knew I would have to fight it most, if not all the way back. Nevertheless, I enjoyed zinging along, especially when I'd catch glimpses of the ocean through the tall trees which line much of the highway.

Turned around when I reached the hamlet of Bowser, a lumber yard, a hotel, a gas station and a few other small shops and retraced my steps. Back home by about 6:30 pm. Stats for today's ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/592416894#.VBjyAZPdkZc.email

Stored my bike and then walked next door to ask Jim to help me put kayaks inside. (G/L store them in the huge living room on the ground floor of their two story home.) Thanked Jim and he went home to have dinner while I did the same myself, after showering/changing. Once I'd eaten and cleaned up it was close to 9:30 pm so I called Cora Lee. All well at The Islay Inn. Then to bed. I'm currently reading one of many of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, One Shot, and although I was quite sleepy, I couldn't put book down until 1:00 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment