Wednesday 21 January 2015

Big Hero 6 Blues: Wednesday, January 21st!

In those parts of the world where learning and science has prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue. -Ethan Allen, revolutionary (21 Jan 1738-1789)


Patrick Attached is my reference for the 2 over 1 system which I more or less adhere to. Also attached is a copy of Roberts spreadsheet - version 1 which does not automatically decide who is vulnerable - you need to add a V in the appropriate column. I believe we are at Roberts on Monday Cheers Byron

Hi Byron! Thanks for sending along the spreadsheet, as well as the 2 over 1 system. Much appreciated. Really enjoyed Monday night's play. Lads are great to play with and against. Think it will be extremely good for my bridge if I can continue with group. Quite liked the various conventions that were used and everyone was very good about explaining/walking me through when played.

Not sure why but I was unable to send any messages to Clive. I tried a number of times, reducing attachments but no luck. Any suggestions? Perhaps you could forward the pictures I sent and thank him for the wonderful supper and incredible rhubarb/cherry crumble with ice-cream and/or custard for dessert!

Must say that I enjoyed partnering with you so thanks for putting up with all of my silly mistakes! As well you did more than yeoman's service as chauffeur so thanks for that as well. Found the topic of your sea voyages simply fascinating. I had no idea of this aspect of your lives. What a story! Hope to be able to learn more about some of the various "legs", in more detail, as what a rollicking adventure it must have been.

I'm pretty sure I'm available this coming Monday but will confirm as soon as I've "cleared" things with Corinne. I'm happy to collect you but we can arrange details later. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Clive Patrick had trouble reaching your email. Arnt we a serious lot! Cheers
Byron


The Dipsy Doodle King circles his way to 100+ km today! Decided  to stay on the "flat" just to see how it would be to log a decent ride in the neighbourhood, so to speak. This being the case I managed to add up all the various dipsy doodles to 51 km, repeating the stretch from Charleson to Cook, with various smaller loops in between. Once I had half the distance I wanted I made for Stanley Park. Hadn't wanted to go earlier as I assumed the Seawall would be very busy, day being so mild and quite sunny early on. Pleased that that by the time, 4:00 pm, I was making for SP there were few people about. Once at the parking lot near Second Beach, I simply became a gerbil, looping the Lagoon until I reached 90 km and then made for home. Even saw the same racoon, I think, as I noticed a few rides ago, when at the parking lot, as he asked me if I had an extra sandwich! Didn't start to really get dark until just before 5:00 pm so pleased about that. Needed my lights then however. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/679557622#.VMBneSUqo_U.email

Quick shower, once home, although not drenched like after some rides, particularly when climbing the Prospect Point Hill. Had an appetite, to be sure. Clarisse's porcupine meatballs so I made sure I was not late to the table as with this crew there would have been none left! Another family dinner tomorrow evening, sustainable salmon, I believe. Will probably head to FCCC to the elliptical as it the heavens are supposed to open after midnight tonight and keep weeping until 

Suggested dates for the next NRBC I will suggest the 22 of February or the 1 March for the next gathering. Venue TBC. Let me know asap if that works for you. The book we will discuss is: Indian Summer by Alex Von Tunzelmann (Moe). To follow Moe, Pat has selected Alan Doyle's Where I Belong. Victor is to choose the book to follow the Doyle March 1st for myself VL Hello NRBC Lads: March 1st is my preference, along with Vittorio's, as we won't be back from Californiay until the 22nd of February. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

P, hope you have had a good ride. I am going to do the same over here -- maybe three trips up and down the island to make it 150. Let us know what happened in the Naramation and region. I meant to pick up the Doyle at the last meeting. Let me know if you still have it. I may be in town Momday. Looks like some serious card players. Must have been high stakes. Fond regards to you and C., W

Hi Calamity and Whirlygig! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner. Standard response: "No excuses but plenty of reasons!" Since being back from The Naramata, we have been consumed, more or less, with readying place for photographs, which were taken today, for listing purposes. Once I'd discharged my assigned tasks, I suited up and headed out, around 1:00 pm. Another family dinner tomorrow evening, sustainable salmon, I believe. Will probably head to FCCC to the elliptical as it the heavens are supposed to open after midnight tonight and keep weeping until Sunday, it would seem. One of main reasons for wanting to log a longish ride today.

Clarisse's 90th birthday bash on Saturday so loads to do to ready things for her party. Probably about 24 people. I'll ask Sarge about Doyle book but I think you can assume it will be available. Fond regards from Mme Coriandre, now abed. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Hi Patrick, how come you do want to move so suddenly and even sell the loft? Thank you for you your long email once again:) I started a new show this Monday, small one til end of February and close to Chloe’s place. I will drop by her place soon. Your French dinner sounds amazing. Was it a special event or is it like a restaurant? I’m hungry already. Do you mean you can take your own wine to the restaurant? (I know in Montreal- little Italy- we were allowed to do that years ago). I heard if you buy a bottle & don’t finish it in a restaurant here, you can take the rest home- but have never done it. Be careful when it comes to creatures in Stanley Park-haha- friend had a bad cycling accident there as she tried to avoid an erratic squirrel (the fact that she is a stunt woman saved her). Do not know the series “The Knick”, but do like Clive Owen when he plays nice guys. Laura :)

Hi Laura! Glad to hear you are gainfully employed again! The restaurant is part of the French Cultural Centre and dinner was not a special event, as such, so a great place for a meal, especially as it is within walking distance and very reasonably priced.

Decision to move is not actually "sudden" inasmuch as we have been mulling this over for some time now. All sorts of reasons, everything from land lease that City owns and will be due in 2040. Cora Lee is worried that the investment in our place will lose considerable value unless we sell it, now having 25 years left for on current lease,in order for buyers to obtain mortgages. As well, we have lived in Vancouver for 40 years so a change is always exciting. Plenty of issues with respect to ChloĆ« and Loft, of course. Anyway, nothing is set in stone yet! Maybe they even bumped into Henning! Fond regards from Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick We have booked baker creek mountain lodge from 12th to 18th sept but are having difficulties with booking one way car hire. Could I ask yr help on this? Jim mcp says better to get car a little way out from Calgary airport as not so expensive but it's the one way drop off at salmon arm or kamloops that's the problem . Hertz will do o/w to van but anywhere else is a no go. Would very much appreciate any ideas you have and links to car hire that can fit the bill.
Muchos gracias Penelope xxx


Hi Baker Creek Hillbillies! With respect to a one-way car hire, I'll certainly make a number of calls/inquiries and see what I can come up with. Haven't rented a car here in Canada so am not all that familiar with various firms. Will probably ask Sarge for some advice as he and Flamin' have done much more of this sort of travel. Anyway, give me a few days and I'll be in touch as soon as I know more. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Duhlink! I just chatted to National Car Rental at the Calgary Airport. Woman there was quite helpful. Apparently you can do a one-way from Calgary to Kamloops. For the purposes of obtaining a price I suggested a small car so that may change, depending on what you feel you want, of course. Probably about $211/day for a total of $1,582 for the week. This includes drop-off fee but not extra insurance, etc. Not sure what coverage you might have with credit cards, etc. Cheaper if you book online:

https://www.nationalcar.ca/index.do?action=home.do&type=cazl-withnav-header

If you book to pick up in downtown Calgary it will be somewhat cheaper, (save on airport tax.), but then you have to get there, either by bus or cab, ($63, for latter, was price I was given but you might want to explore further.), I suppose. Anyway, take a look at site and see what you think. No difficulty arranging meet in Kamloops, in terms of date/location, (Probably downtown not airport there.), but we can cross those bridges when we come to them. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hello! How are you? Believe you had a wonderful New Year's holiday! I had a big even to operate on Jan.12, which was successful.

May I ask you a favor? - Could you recommend picture books for children age 5 to 10. Are there any lists, places, internet to look for? Or could you make one for me? They are Japanese who start learning English. - Do you know if donation would be possible? Or to buy them cheeper. Used book are fine. If books gathered a place, we would pay for shipping. If there are anything to do or explain, I'll do.

I would like to gather good-quality picture books for children. I've been gathering some, which will be 100 by end of this month. And I would like to gather more. About 300 by the end of March or April. I've been involving in a new project. The company I'm working for is planning to open the After School Care Program. As a part of it, we would like to have library like area where children can read books both in English and Japanese. For children and their family, we would like to have good-quality books.

I am also in charge of making English study curriculum for children. I believe that you are the best persons to ask about the books! If it's better for me to call and tell you more details, I'll call you at your convenience Thank you, Toshiko

Hi Toshi! Happy New Year to you and your Mother! All the best for 2015! Your project with respect to children's books sounds exciting. Corinne will be in touch to learn more about what you require, etc. Fond regards and Cheers, Patrizzio!









No comments:

Post a Comment