Sunday 25 January 2015

Milltown Marina Blues: Sunday, January 25th!

              You live a new life for every new language you speak. -Czech proverb
 

greetings, patrick. when do you think you might be cycling; matt 

good morning ,patrick,thank you for a most enjoyable evening.please thank everyone involved.not feeling too strong this a m .how about tomorrow and riding ?matt 

Hi Glasgow et al Vittorino would like to ride quite early tomorrow: "We could meet at UBC at 830a? I am free to ride until 1130a. Does that work?" I am prepared to meet him, probably at the Botanical Gardens off Marine. If it's not too early for either you or Raymond, Ray and I could meet on Point Grey/Macdonald, around 8:05 am, collect you on Sasamat, off Spanish Banks, around 8:15 am and then connect with Victor at UBC at 8:30 am +/-.

Hasselback Garlic Potatoes w/ Bacon & Cheese
[Chloe Alexis Dunn shared Andy Miller's photo.
Corinne Durston for Wednesday night??Patrick James Dunn Sounds fabulous but I'm not sure Dusty will change by Wednesday!]


Vittorio, we might need to tailor these times depending on what lads think about the 8:30 am start time. Alternatively, the two of us could meet as suggested above and then rendezvous with the others later at a different appointed time/place.

Just back from a wonderful ride. Couldn't believe how warm it was! Started out dipsy-doodling around our place so that I had 37 km on the clock by the time I reached the UBC Forshore Hill. Made for Iona, via Marine, and I take Barnard Street, about two blocks west of Granville, to 75th as there is a good long stretch parallel to Fraser River Park. En route to CSTB I noticed a sign for The Milltown Bar and Restaurant so I thought I'd take a look. 

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
It turns out that it is a very recent development. I found the following:

The Milltown Marina will be located on Richmond Island and Richmond Slough on the Vancouver side of the North Arm of the Fraser River (below the Fraser Arms Hotel). The site is eight kilometres upstream from the mouth of the Fraser and just downstream from the Arthur Laing Bridge. There are no bridges between the new marina and the Strait of Georgia.

Historically, the island was a grassy sandbar that flooded during high water. Between the 1930s and 1950s, the level of the island was raised with dredged river sand, faced with rip rap, and connected to the mainland by a boulder and sand filled causeway. It was later paved and used by the adjacent Canadian Forest Products sawmill as a lumber storage yard. The protected slough has been used as a log boom storage area for many years and will be dredged to accommodate the marina. The marina project is a partnership between the Musqueam Indian Band and Bastion Development Corporation.


At any rate, quite impressive and side-trip added a few more km's! Head wind wasn't too, too bad on way out to Stink Island which really earned its name today! The view of the mountains and the shining ocean more than made up for noxious vapours, however! Back home via Cambie and then Yukon/Columbia. Still quite light at 5:00 pm so makes it a bit safer riding at this time. Stats for ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/682860377#.VMWkjQZs7G8.email

Anyway, let me know what you all think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, Too early for me. I've been busy all weekend and want to slow it down in the morning. I'll catch up with you on another day. Ray 


Hi Pat, 8:30 is early for you? I thought when you're an old man that you actually wake up earlier. Oh well, guess there's always exceptions...

We could meet at 930a to make it a bit friendlier? Besides I need to put some air in my tires, so the later meet will give me time to do that. I could ride with you until noon, and we could meet up with everyone else along the way. I'm open to anything, but I say we meet around 9:15-9:30 instead. We can definitely meet at the rose garden, which is right by the Chan Centre on Marine. If you prefer another meeting place on campus just let me know Take care,


VL also, I'm probably the least experienced biker here, so my apologies if I can't keep up (as well, my bike is on the older side and needs a bit of a tune-up) but looking forward to the challenge VL

Hi again, Raymondo! Thought that it might have been a tad early. If things change, in terms of Matt's preference, are you still interested in riding? If so, what time would suit you?

Was just about to send this message when one from Victor arrived. He is now suggesting 9:30 am at UBC so if you want to join us we could meet you at the stretch along 75th somewhere near the park there around 10:15 am-10-30 am. That way there is plenty of room to ride until we meet up to head out to Iona over Arthur Laing or CSTB, as everyone sees fit. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: As of this writing have not yet heard from Matt! Pics: Last night's 90th Birthday for Rosita, here with Nancy; then Glasgow with Catherine and Nancy!


but 8;30 would be better ;matt so does that mean meeting at 9;15 at sasamat and marine. will be fine by me;matt

Hi Glasgow! I'll be at Sasamat and Marine at 8:30 am and when I hear from Vittorio I'll let him know that. He can either meet us earlier or otherwise adjust rendezvous point, etc. There are plenty of places for us to toddle about on campus before meeting. See you domani. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: I think you left your sweater here last night. Let me know if it is yours and I'll wash out the wine stains!

Hi Vittorio! 8:30 am is too early for Robo Man but I'm meeting Glasgow at 8:30 am and we will proceed to UBC. I suggest we meet at the Botanical Garden, as originally specified, just off Marine, opposite Thunderbird Stadium, west of intersection of 16th, not the UBC Rose Garden, near Chan, as you mistakenly inferred! There are plenty of places for us to toddle about on campus before meeting you at 9:30 am, or slightly earlier, depending on your luck pumping up your tires and tuning-up your bike! Unless I hear otherwise, will see you domani, at or around 9:30 am. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment