Wednesday 22 April 2015

Earth Day Blues: Wednesday, April 22nd!

The desire of the man is for the woman, but the desire of the woman is for the desire of the man. -Madame de Stael, writer (22 Apr 1766-1817) 


Hi, Patrick and Corinne: I've been meaning to send you this email and keep forgetting . . . . I was in the 'hood on Sunday and dropped off the charger for the e-reader. Since you weren't home, I left it on the patio. Maybe you've
found it already, but if not, it's under the gardening gloves on one of
the chairs.



Hope your preparations for the move to Penticton are going well. I'm leaving for Spain on Monday and I'm back May 21st. I can't remember when you leave for India (October?), but let's make a point of trying to get together before then -- perhaps on one of your what I hope will be MANY return visits to the Lower Mainland. Having a good contact in the Okanagan is very motivating for the notion of making the trip to in the other direction, too. :-) Janet

Thanks Janet, enjoy your trip. Its a great thing to do with family. Will see you in Penticton, when you come for a visit. Regards Corinne

Hi Janet! I've been meaning to send this email ever since we had such a lovely afternoon with you, Easter Monday! I do apologize, sincerely. As ever, no excuses but plenty of reasons! The cookies and cupcakes were fabulous, almost as good as your wonderful slides. Do regret having to dash off without being able to take more time discussing them as well as other aspects of travelling in India. Of course, it really was fascinating to meet Mr Bronx! (I do apologize, yet again, but I simply cannot remember his name: first name: Dave/Doug? last name: something Dutch sounding?) What an interesting set of connections: pool, Education Library, etc. Please pass along the snaps I took and send our hellos and regards and warn him that we might well be knocking on his door in the not too, too distant future!


On the Penticton front, we will be hosting a Farewell Party/Empty Open House in late May, after you will be back from your pilgrimage, so hope you might be able to attend. Firm date has not yet been set but I will be sending out e-invitations as soon as that has been decided. On the India front, if you decide you can visit the Okanagan before the end of October, perhaps we could arrange a "showing" of some of your slides, together with our friends, Lynne and Peter. [Thanks, by the way, for dropping off charger. Much appreciated! I was puzzled, when I found it, not connecting it to you. Thought it might have been from our neighbour, Sarge, as he had borrowed one of ours for his phone, at one point.] Of course we would expect you to stay with us. Anyway, something to think about.
 

I'm sure you will be busy packing yourself, readying things for your holiday, so thanks for your good wishes on our endeavours. Finalized our truck rental on Monday. Went to U Haul on SE Marine to take a look at both 20' and 26' trucks. Decided on latter as we will certainly need the space! Picked up a number of mattress covers, packing tape, etc., as well, so no excuses now! In fact, Cora Lee is next door, at The Annexe, as I scribe, packing up the last of the kitchen things and other odds and ends, that Clara and Dusty left, both for us, and to give away to other friends, charities, etc. They flew back to Winnipeg last Thursday and suite has been used by relatives of the Sutherlands, since then, here for the wedding in Kamloops, last weekend. They left last t night so this is really the first time we have had unfettered access to pack there since we were all invited to wedding as well. 

Will be most curious to hear about your coming trip, after you are back and decompressed! Please pass along regards to your fellow travelling companions. Trust all goes smoothly and that you enjoy a more than wonderful trip. Travel safely and will look forward to getting together, one way or another. Bon Voyage and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Easter Monday; farewell dinner

Caro Patrizzio I am sure you have a lot to do, before the move. I will not bother you with Masha's behaviour, but just one thing to say, it did hurt. One does not toss a 35 year friendship into wind. Well c'est la vie, c'est la guerre.
 

I can't believe Cloe is turning 40, where did the years go. Well my friend we shall keep in touch, wishing you a good move, I love the Okanagan, I do not have to travel the world, we have the beauty in our back yard. Keep in touch my love to Corinne always Ciao Gisela 

Hi Gisela! Hadn't realized that your "friendship" with Masha was one of 35 years! Hard to even imagine not wishing to save such a relationship but who can tell what underpins emotions and behaviours. Nevertheless, the hurt remains.

Off to bring back some of the small pieces of furniture, (lamps, end tables, etc.), left next door as we will take them up to Penticton, when we move, and then take them to Winnipeg, in early June, when we drive there to celebrate her parents' 70th wedding anniversary! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


 Dipsy-doodled to the nth degree today as with the wind out of the Wild West at 24 kph I was reluctant to brave Spanish Banks en route to UBC. Consequently I had the Gerbil Cage Blues by the time I had completed three Lost Lagooners, countless circumcyclations of Olympic Village and then Kits Point but was eventually rewarded, before terminal dizziness took over, with the distance I wanted, under piercingly blue, blue skies and mind blowing, magnificent mountains, topped, unfortunately, with too, too little snow.
 
Still, a day to cherish and a ride to remember. One urban detail stands out. As I was heading towards Science World I passed a pest control service vehicle with "Got Racoons" emblazoned on the side of the truck and on my first circuit of Lost Lagoon, Rocky Racoon, meandered, nonchalantly, across the road. I immediately dialed the number of the pest control service as with my photographic memory I had little trouble remembering it from the ad. Poor bandit! Little did he know his days of free-lunches were soon to come to an end! Still, cannot have such hazards threatening life and limb. Recreational cyclists and shutterbug tourists are dangerous enough without throwing wildlife into the mix! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/754224781#.VTgx7-_irgw.email 

As the Durston's suite is now empty, Mme Coriandre did a bit of packing there this morning. JT came down to help so that was much appreciated. Before I left for my ride I helped clear up the place by bringing over a number of small pieces of furniture, (end tables, lamps, etc.), from The Annexe, items we will move to Penticton, initially, and then load into our car when we drive to Winnipeg, mid-June, to celebrate Cora Lee's parents' 70th wedding anniversary! I will have to drive nekkid as we have so much stuff to mule I won't have room for any of my clothes! That being said, I suppose Lady Mary will insist I wear some of my tattered cycling gear so as not to embarrass her, too, too much, when we stop for gas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment