Monday 13 April 2015

Upper Crown Blues: Monday, April 13th!

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. -Christopher Hitchens, author and journalist (13 Apr 1949-2011) 


My upper crown! I took a bagful of candy from candy bar at wedding reception, on Saturday, for drive home next day, and around the Fraser Canyon, Hell's Gate, it came out in my mouth! Lucky I didn't swerve over cliff into river! Or worse for I could easily have swallowed it. [Funnily enough, good friend from Toronto called on Monday night and when I related event he told me that a few years ago he swallowed his gold tooth. Two days of "panning for gold" before he struck paydirt!] Had it cemented back in Tuesday morning and when I related story to Diane, my dentist, she told me that it had happened to her. She was fitting a woman for a crown and it slipped out of her grasp and patient swallowed it! Lady said she'd pay for a new crown if such a thing ever happened again as "recovery" was too, too ghastly for her, apparently!
Chloe Alexis Dunn shared Aunt Leah's Independent Lifeskills Society's photo. Thanks to all my friends and family who have volunteered for Aunt Leah's Tree Lot's / Urban Thrift Store or Trivia Night events, your help makes a difference not only to me smile emoticon but too so many others!!! YOU ROCK!!! Patrick James Dunn Thanks to everyone at Aunt Leah's for all the wonderful work you do!

Colophon (Photo: Tony Cole)

A publisher’s emblem, usually on the spine or the title page of the book. 

For me, words are a form of action, capable of influencing change. -Ingrid Bengis, writer and teacher (b. 1944) 
Hello Lads! Sorry I've not been in the email mix earlier but we were away in Kamloops for the weekend, attending the wedding of Sarge's son, Ryan, to Megan. Wonderful time but very, very busy, as you can well imagine. Back in the midst of 'Dem Ole Packin' Blues so I don't think I can offer to provide dinner this evening but if The South Shore Gang would like to meet here for bridge and nibbles/drinks, I'm more than pleased to offer The Islay Inn. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Photo: Barbara Hauser
Colophon:



noun:
1. A note at the end of the book giving information about its production: font, paper, binding, printer, etc.
2. A publisher’s emblem, usually on the spine or the title page of the book.
ETYMOLOGY: From Latin colophon, from Greek kolophon (summit, finishing touch).
Hi Patrick, As we didn't have a quorum by Sunday evening, I've already made plans for tonight. Cheers, R. Hi Robert et al! I assumed that such might be the case but thought I'd give it a try anyway. Cheers, Patrizzio!Thanks Patrick. Looked like a grand weekend & wedding. I'm now looking after my grandson Leo this evening so can't make, sorry. David 

["Joe DiMaggio was one of the most famous men ever to play baseball for the New York Yankees, second perhaps only to Babe Ruth himself. In 1954, he married the most famous Hollywood actress in the world -- Marilyn Monroe."]

Hi Patrick, You may have heard by now, but in case you have not, Wila passed away last week. Massive stroke, Iza says. I know you and she were very fond of each other. We will all miss her very much. What a lady.

I was trying to piece together some of our history together. Do you know what year Wila retired? It seems to me it would have been in about 2000, but you may have a more accurate sense of time. My sympathy to you, Best, Margaret
 


["DiMaggio's second marriage, to Marilyn Monroe, has been more exhaustively chronicled than the relationship between Romeo and Juliet. When they first met, she, sweet ditz, was perhaps the only person in the country who had never heard of him. He had been out of the majors for a few years, and their courtship put him back in the headlines. 'They are folk heroes, Marilyn and Joe,' wrote the sports columnist Jimmy Cannon, 'a whole country's pets.' They were the best athlete and the sexiest girl, the king and queen of the prom, with the whole nation as high school. They married in 1954, when she was twenty-seven, he thirty-nine. They had only their fame in common. 

"The marriage was unrelieved hell. She thought he did not care enough about her career; he was jealous and discouraged by her willingness to play the national bimbo. On their honeymoon in Japan, she went off to entertain the troops in Korea. Lots of other men were always sniffing around. She was rumored to wear no underwear, and then, in the famous photograph of her skirt blowing up while she stood on an air grate for the movie The Seven-Year Itch, she showed the entire world that this was not so. Joe was on the set the day the scene was shot. Cramer quotes the director Billy Wilder, who recalls 'the look of death' on his face. Murder may have been more like it. He roughed her up that night, and three weeks later she filed for divorce. The marriage lasted nine months. Masters of the Games: Essays and Stories on Sport, Joseph Epstein, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2015] 

[Chloe Alexis Dunn via Vancouver Is Awesome VPL is coolio......Walk With Me: Exploring Strathcona’s Union Street]

Hi Margaret! Thanks very much for the note, albeit one with difficult news. In fact, I had just read the notice sent out by Nadine/Iza. We were in Kamloops for a wedding this past weekend and I am just now attempting to catch up on my email. Of course, I was deeply saddened to learn of Wila's death. As you say, "What a lady, indeed!"

I'm afraid that I don't know precisely when she retired. I took early retirement in 2004 and I guess she was retired by then so 2000 seems about right. Obviously, someone in the Librarian's Office will be able to provide exact date.

By coincidence, of late, I have been cycling past the street where the Busza's lived, not all that far from us as Granville Island, as you know. Over the years, since retirement, I had "bumped" into them a few times but never managed any get-togethers, unfortunately. I do plan to attend the memorial mass this coming Saturday so perhaps I'll see you there. 

Again, it is with a rather heavy heart that I must say that we seem to be meeting at memorial services for former colleagues lately. Much sympathy to you as well as I know how close you and Wila were to each other, over the many wonderful years of working together. Fond regards, Patrick!

Hi Patrick, Yes, I just talked with Andrew and he is ok, considering. She had stroke at night at home, he got her to the hospital and she died about a 1 week later, he said, not suffering. You probably knew that she had Alzheimers. Andrew was looking after her at home, he said, comfortably, never any problem. She was her usual pleasant self to the end, he said. So, now the time will be long for him, I am sure. Yes, we plan to attend the memorial as well. If you want to contact Andrew, here are his phone number and address. Take care, Best, Margaret


Hi again, Margaret! Thanks very much for the details. No, I didn't know Wila was suffering from Alzheimers but I'm more than pleased to learn that she was as comfortable as possible, under circumstances, to the end. Thanks for Andrew's phone number and address. I do plan to call and pop by, if possible, some time this week, to offer condolences and pay my respects before memorial. Again, thanks. Will see you both on Saturday. Patrick.                                                Since rain was pelting down I walked over to FCCC to use elliptizer. Really needed the workout after weekend's debauchery and was quite pleased with results. Managed to burn 1,143 calorifics over 70 minuten, climbing 16, 064' with a distance of 4.5 milos! Best effort on this machina to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment