Tuesday 21 April 2015

Hurricane Blues: Tuesday, April 21st!

I have lived in this world just long enough to look carefully the second time into things that I am most certain of the first time. -Josh Billings, columnist and humorist (21 Apr 1818-1885) 


After dipsy-doodling around Olympic Village to clock enough distance to give me 23 km by the time I Seawalled it to Stanley Park I just escaped the hurricane which came raging out of the west around 4:00 pm this afternoon bringing with it light rain and gusts at 37 kph. Plenty of whitecaps on English Bay after I did five Prospect Point Loops before dashing for the shelter of home. Bit damp but not a soaking so pleased about that, of course. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/753341436#.VTbeB7AV6Ls.email

Back home to enjoy a much wanted mug of java while I peeled the parsnips we were having then a shower and change. Cora Lee fried up some delicious Tilapia and I threw a mixed green saladin together. Over the scrumptious meal we watched a recoded episode of Elementary.

[Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Cashew Chicken Patrick James Dunn With so many C's how can it not be delicious!!] After I cleared the table and did the dishes we started Bloodline, a Netflix original thriller–drama television series featuring "a close-knit family of four adult siblings whose secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep brother returns home. The picturesque location of the Florida Keys, divided between gorgeous coral reefs and dark mangroves, is captured with an eye for the sensual and the symbolic." ChloĆ« suggested we watch it and certainly glad we decided to heed her advice. Sam Shepard is Robert Rayburn, the patriarch while Sissy Spacek plays Sally Rayburn, the matriarch. Haven't seen her for years and think the role is perfect for her as an older woman. 

Ruthless Sutherland!
Mr. Grumpy wasn't up for a discussion last night, but perhaps I can try tonight.
And, a little play mixed in with the work will help the general morale of the packers. Good luck to both of you with regard to getting it done!


Hi again, Ruthless! Trust Mr Grumpy is over his curmudgeoness! Took your advice and played bridge on Monday night with group of lads I've been involved with for last year or so. Host supplies dinner fare, guests nibbles. This week it was Sushi and it was fabulous indeed.

My partner and I had most of the cards for the first half of the evening and chalked up a seemingly insurmountable lead, early on, only to be cheekily outbid and cleverly outplayed in the home stretch. Such is life, such is bridge! However, we have a chance to trounce the cads next week as we will play with same partners. Many of the others in group are out of town on hols so we decided we'd have a re-match.

Let me know Mr G's thoughts on piano lessons with Margaret Friesen's dad when he has a moment. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge on Monday, dinner and view!

Hi Pat, Thanks for the pictures! It was great to get reacquainted, although too short a time, and missed a game or two of bridge. The Scotch was very good...from my perspective. I hope you enjoyed it as well. As for the Bruichladdich, I happen to have a couple in my collection. I went to an a special evening of tasting (1 year ago) this whiskey hosted by one of their brew masters from Scotland. They presented a 10 year old, 15 year old, a 20 year old and at the very end two drops of 25 year old.

It was interesting as I've never been before. The evening began with an ounce and a half of 10 year old, followed with an ounce of the 15 year old, then a half ounce of 20 year old, and two drops (maybe three) of the 25. At each stage the brew master gave a presentation on each sampling. It was very good as the evening was by invitation wiht only 30 attendees. Good luck with your relocation! If you miss Penticton on your way eastward you'll find refreshments, food, and lodging available in Spruce Grove. I'll let you know when I get scheduled for surgery. Des!

Hi Des and Sheila! Your whiskey tasting sounded wonderful indeed! Think I'll miss Penticton on purpose now that I know what you have in your malt cabinet! Yes, too, too bad we didn't have time for a game or two over the wedding weekend. Thanks for invitation. Might drop by on our way back from Winnipeg, in late June, as there is a possibility we will be picking up a friend south of Edmonton. Of course, will be in touch if our plans take us towards your neck of the Spruce Grove woods! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge on Monday, dinner, view, players. Clan Sutherland, with Flamin', on Wednesday evening before heading to airport.







No comments:

Post a Comment