Saturday 13 June 2015

Blue Blue Vaseux Lake Blues: Friday, June 12th!

No one has ever become poor by giving. -Anne Frank, Holocaust diarist (12 Jun 1929-1945) 


Pat, Hope you're not leading the Carters astray. I need my tennis partner in tip top shape for when he returns. Pleased to hear that you are settling into your new environment.

We're having a fairly large BBQ (by our standards) on Sunday and among the guests will be Sylvia's cousin's son Andrew with his girlfriend from Nebraska who is entering the Masters program in Library Sciences at UBC.

Bits of biking and some gym but I haven't been able to maintain my regular exercise routine as I've been so busy. After next week, I should have more time. You will probably have to ride early or late in the day to avoid the summer heat. Maybe there are some cycling clubs in Penticton.



Exchanging old photos with Jim Crowe from our times together when our kids were younger in Australia. He is studying Chinese in Tapei and running on the university track most days. He was in the track team when he did his MBA at Queens. Regards to Corinne. Ray

Hi pal, Thanks for the nice note about riding and your new digs and your new wine-making friends (score!!). Brief note as work(schmerk) beckons on this lovely sunny day.
 

My Cycle for Sight was good - the 4th 30km lap was a tad tortuous - my back hurt, toes were numb, bum was sore.........but I was determined and did the ride in an OK time.Thanks to you and the others, I raised $970!!

Did my last interval training with the West Point folks last night. I will be starting to ride with a new women's group - more details on that later (best part is that my participation is yet another instance of me receiving kindness and generosity from cyclists!!). The chicken was so funny to see. Hi to Corinne! Sara


Hello Black Widow! Would like to make reservations for the Hourglass tasting on Saturday, July 11th. Four people, (two Wine Club Members), if possible.

As well, would like to make reservations for the 10th Vintage Party, Sunday, August 16th, four people, (two Wine Club Members), if possible.

Finally, reservations for Vintage One, Saturday, September 12th, two Wine Club Members, if possible. Thanks, in advance. Cheers, Patrick Dunn/Corinne Durston.




Hi Mr Grizzle!

Hard to believe that I received your message a little less than a week ago but, as you can well imagine, it has been rather hectic since we left on May 29th. Nevertheless, all things considered, we are certainly making progress on the un-packing front and are more than enjoying being here. Much, much to tell but will wait until we are together, holding glasses of wine and malt!


I'm riding in the GranFondo on July 12th. We are off to Winnipeg on Monday, June 15th, (Thanks very much for invitation to bbq. Would dearly loved to have attended as your bashes are always a blast. I guess we belong to a Mutual Admiration Society as I enjoy your company immensely, as well, especially when lubricatad with Scrubby Rise!), stopping in Medicine Hat to stay with friend, Zircon, aka Jim Hillson, for first night. Will be back in Penticton at the end of June, early July, to prepare for ride. While away, much of my training will be at Falcon Lake. Not many hills but deserted roads for distance work. (By chance I am going to be able to attend my high-school home classroom reunion on June 26th. Just found out about it a few days ago and absolutley delighted that we are going to be in city around same time. Cora Lee's parent's 70th wedding anniversary celebration is on June 19th.

Whenever your schedule allows, you are welcome anytime we are here. (Even if not. Friends from Vancouver are staying while we are in Winnipeg as we have a door pad.) Our address is 611 Burns Street, Penticton, BC, V2A 4X2, 250-493-0092, (H)

In spite of glares from Lady Mary I have been out riding last four evenings, after the heat of the day begins to wane, and have simply headed for OK Falls as it is a relatively easy 50 km return ride, (with a few dipsy-doodles thrown in to make that distance), given that Mme Coriandre becomes quite fussy if I'm back after 9:00 pm and dinner is jeopardized! Last night, around 8:00 pm, I was on the return leg, climbing McLean Creek Road, just past Meyer Family Vineyards, when a couple passed me. We exchanged pleasantries and I thought that that was the last I'd see of them. However, I started to gain on the female rider near the top of the hill, (Bighorn Mountain, I think, but a stunning rock face whatever its name happens to be!), and decided I'd see if I could catch up. Once I'd crested the hill it didn't take me long and I was soon cycling beside them. I asked if they were training for the GranFondo but the young woman said that they were too busy with work. Of course I asked what they did and she said they were both wine-makers for Intersection Winery, south of Oliver. Couldn't believe my ears as we know the owners. Long story which must wait, for now, but I soon learned that
Pénélope and Dylan Roche were married with two sons, 3 and 6. She is originally from Bordeaux, he from North Van and they met in NZ, both working at wineries near Napier! Believe they spent 7 years in France after that and then Dylan worked at Stag's Hollow for 7 or 8 months before going to Intersection. They also make their own label there, Roche: Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Rosé.

Needless to say, it was quite a wonderful ride home, particularly since I drafted all the way along Skaha were the headwind is always ferocious! Invited them in for a drink as they live but a few minutes away, up towards Naramata, on Cambie. Not sure exactly where. They were pleased to pop by but only to say hello and have a glass of water as they had to be home as their baby-sitter had school next day. Anyway, a lovely, lovely couple and I hope we will see more of them in the future. Both are very, very decent cyclists but I think they don't have as much time to devote to the activity with work and family. I certainly had my work cut out for me just to keep up and I certainly don't normally average the pace they set, 30 kph +/-, on the flat, heading into the wind! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/800504228#.VXk66vopyLQ.email

Another great ride to OK Falls this evening. Saw five deer, seven marmots and a beaver! Last was in a small pond, across the road from Skaha. Pretty slim pickings as far as trees go, in that area. Ferocious head wind so I really missed drafting behind Famiglia Roche, couple I met yesterday, near top of Bighorn Mountain, wine-makers at Intersection Winery, as mentioned above. Think I have scoped out my next 100 km route. Plan to hit The Naramata first and then do the OK Falls loop. This coming Saturday or Sunday, I trust! Stats for this evening's ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/801365011#.VXppzcbaTwY.email

Friends, Polly and Mick Carter, from Vancouver, are arriving for the night tomorrow. We will go wine-tasting after they arrive, probably around 2:00 pm. Have to be home before that as we are having new patio furniture, from The Bay, delivered, between 8:00 am-1:00 pm, as well as two bookcases and a large dresser, from Rooms To Go, for all of Lady Mary's extensive wardrobe! Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, now abed after an exhausting day-trip to Kelowna. Very sorry we missed you at our Farewell Bash but you must visit Il Palazzo di Paradiso in the not too, too distant future! Fondestos and Cheers,  Patrizzio!

Pics: New compost bin. Babes come in every week or so to turn over the contents and give massages after rides! Lynnette was our first "official" non-family overnight guest, this past Monday. Famiglia Roche. Note my ultra-clever Vivian Maier "selfie" in first shot, reflection in malt cabinet. How appropriate! Chaos Complete at Burns Street Social House! First dinner party, week ago Tuesday, with friends, Lynne and Peter, from Naramata. Peter has rose bushes growing at the ends of each row of vines, about a two acre property.

No comments:

Post a Comment