Saturday 5 September 2015

Chesham Saturday Market Blues: Saturday, September 5th!

Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. -Robert King Merton, sociologist (1910-2003) 
 

Patrick James Dunn You might remember, when you and Ayn were up, that this is the new baby, Sawyer, whose dad was at the cactus/succulent booth shortly after his wife had given birth!

Hi Kaya! Trust you, Sawyer and your husband are well. Here are the snaps I took this past Saturday and one of plant Ayn bought for our place. It is in our front garden and looks great! Hope we'll see you over the next couple of markets. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello, Patrick and Corinne: The driver I recommended was Bhuvanesh Kumar. I have had several drivers in India, and they were all good, but he was outstanding. He went the extra mile without being obsequious. A couple of times I casually mentioned things that I might be interested in doing, and he took the initiative.  For example, he arranged to take me on a motor-scooter ride in Mysore (to experience one of the most popular modes of transport in India, as you will see) and a stop at the famous Indian Coffee House (established immediately post-Raj as a workers' collective, and still operating as such). The vehicle was always spotless and he handed me an Indian daily newspaper as I got in every morning. This was during my second trip to India in January 2012.

Oh, as I think of it, I would definitely recommend sitting in the front.  Obviously, with a group (4 of you?) you'd need to take turns, but it does give you a wider perspective.  The usual approach is for the guide and driver to sit in the front and the client to ride in the back, like the queen. I  think they find it a bit strange when I indicate that I will sit in the front (meaning that the guide sits in the back). But you're paying for it, so exercise some choice in the matter! An experienced friend who's been to India a number of times suggested this and it was a good suggestion.

Bhuvanesh met me in Chennai and was my driver for the next two weeks, on a loop through the south that ended in Bangalore, (from where I flew home).  At that time, (and I have no reason to believe that it's changed), he was working for a company based in Bangalore called Sri Tours & Travels.  I believe that they were sub-contracted by Luxe India to provide transportation for this part of the trip. I met his boss in Bangalore, and I still have his card: P. Harish Upadhya. I have his full contact details, but I would expect that Luxe has them too. 

Indeed, securing an Indian visa is a bit of an arduous process, though not actually difficult.  I've done it successfully three times before. You don't really need "good luck" but good luck anyway!  When the form asks for your address in India, just provide the name of the first hotel that you'll be staying at. (I wonder if it will be the same one that I stayed at in Chennai???)

I would love to join your Trivia fundraiser table on October 16th or 17th.  Please let me know the details as they become available.  Also, it would be nice to get together for a bit more of a leisurely visit before your trip.  I'm always off on Mondays if there's a possible date around that time, (October 19th or 26th?)
Look forward to seeing you soon. Bye for now, Janet 


Had a great time at Saturday's market before first wave of Freeloaders began to flood in. Have gotten to know a number of the vendors since arriving. One couple is originally from Chesham, a small town/village about 20 miles northwest of London. We happen to have close friends, Patricia and Jamie Gairdner, who live there. When chatting while Cora Lee was picking out some mini-eggplants, Kate, the wife, mentioned that they were off to England on Monday. Seeing a rare opportunity I asked if they would mind delivering a card. They were more than delighted to do so.


This being the case we headed home shortly thereafter, our shopping being done, anyway. Put together a card and then hopped on my Brodie to deliver envelope, addressed so that they would know where our friends lived. Both of them knew precisely where the house was located. As well, asked Kate if she could pretend that she was a local bureaucrat who was there as a result of an overdue parking ticket, or some such task. Jamie and I have always played silly practical jokes on one another so I'm hoping that this will take him completely by surprise. We haven't spoken, (He is a terrible correspondent so prefers to phone.), since before we moved, even though I have sent numerous messages and change of address, phone numbers, etc. Kate and Steven will be back in two weeks so I'm curious to hear how things went!

After I dropped off the envelope I walked my bike to the end of the market and  went past a regular vendor selling small succulents, quite attractively planted in old tins cans, pieces of stump, etc. Ayn, when she and Chloë were up, mid-August, bought one of the pieces as a housewarming present for us. At the time, Kaya, the vendor, was not attending the booth as she had just given birth to her first child. The husband was running the show and was quite discombobulated as he had never worked there before. At any rate, Kaya was there, along with her husband, and Sawyer, the spanking new boy. I took a couple of snaps as I wanted to send them along to Ayn and Chloë as they had heard about the birth. Nana Cora Lee had already admired Sawyer, earlier that morning, on our first tour of the market.



Back home from the Saturday Market, I suited up and hit the road about 1:45 pm, with strict orders, from Lady Mary, not to be out for more than three hours as we had friends, from Vancouver, arriving for the night. This being he case, I decided I'd be a Flat-lander so did the Penticton Tennis Club/Lakeshore Loop and then headed for Skaha Lake Park. Dipsy-doodled around the park and then made for the Penticton Airport. Had never been further than the terminal building but this time followed Harvard Road for a km or so to find an air tanker station. I presume that many of the planes that have been fighting the various wildfires in the area fuel here. 

Back to 97 and then I decided to follow my nose when I came across a road that took me past Skaha Meadows Golf Course. Kept on this road, a private road as posted signs informed me, and eventually came to a housing complex which I recognized as being on the Penticton Indian Band reservation, having ridden past it on Green Mountain Road a number of weeks ago. (Pleased as punch to discover this new "loop" as it will allow me a basic 51 km ride, on the flat, when time is of the essence.) Turned around, shortly thereafter and then retraced my route, with a short dipsy-doodle into Skaha Lake Park, home to find that visitors had arrived and left. Off on a tour of beautiful downtown Penticton so I was showered and changed by the time Tour Guide, Mme Coriandre, walked in the door with King David and Gran Duggacio! Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/889176239#.VeuCMreJgGs.email


Great visit with the lads around the "fire pit". Dinner, fab ribs, fresh local corn, twice baked potatoes and a mixed green salad. Plenty of hootch. Quite cool so when propane tank for fire pit gave up the ghost we repaired inside to have Mrs Patmore's wonderful Gala apple crumble, (delicious fruit from Jugos Dom Pedro's trees), with a few snorts of Mortlach from dwindling malt collection!


Patriçio, The 12th it is! I will leave here by 10am, so should be in Penticton by early afternoon. I have your home phone, please correct if that is incorrect. Also, it could be useful to also have your new (needlessly changed!) cell#


Other than that, your address is firmly implanted in my gps, it will unerringly lead me to your door.  Should you have plans for he afternoon, no probs, I will grab a Java, case out the lumberyard or look for a sleazy Penticton bar.



I heard a talk on CBC a while back.  In light of the current political status here; not to mention the need to get a US personal tax number for my measly inheritance from my uncle -  in spite of the fact that the estate will *not* be taxed, makes the quote below ring true! Branko: "The greatest threat to our freedom, is an efficient bureaucracy" 

Hi Ragin'! Grand that you will be able to join us for Tailgate Bash! Sorry to hear about your "measly" inheritance. Was hoping that you'd be flush and then be able to re-stock the malt cabinet! At any rate, home phone number is correct. Here is my cell and Cora Lee's. If we are not at home I suggest you hang out at Cannery Brewing, just a few blocks away from us on Ellis. Great local craft brewery. You can get a head start for Tailgate party!

I'm sure we will be at home, however. At least Lady Mary as I might go for a ride while the harsh task master is not yet around!  Speaking of when you might arrive, you might think of adjusting your visit to be here on Friday so that you could take in the Saturday market, should that be of interest. No big deal but certainly loads of fun. Let me know what you think about arriving on Friday so that we can plan accordingly, should you wish to do this. Your choice, of course. Cheers, Il Conduttore!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment