Friday 11 September 2015

Rock Lobster Blues: Friday, Sepember 11th!

 A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows. -O. Henry, short-story writer (11 Sep 1862-1910) 

Hi Isabelle, Please drop in for coffee or a glass of wine. We are out tonight and tomorrow after 6 but here all day Sunday and during the day today and tomorrow. Would be great to have a visit. Hugs Corinne

Hi Patrick Anna is on a mission to get the fruit gums today! Thanks so much to Elaine for her kind offer but we are looking forward to staying at the hotel - maybe next time? We leave the house at 4.30am tomorrow and I have Flynn today so will be exhausted by the end of the day as well See you very soon xxx

Hello Casa Vicente! Thanks, Naughty Nancy, for suggesting a "User Fee" at The Burns Street Stopping Place/Watering Hole/Base Camp! Indeed, it will be implemented shortly, in $US!!!

Sorry I've not apprised you of Grog's medical situation earlier. In all honesty, I thought that I had mentioned his condition much earlier. Unfortunately, relative to Sarge's surgery, his diagnosis is, perhaps, not as good! In brief, he was diagnosed with bladder/prostate cancer last January/February and has been on a course of chemotherapy, intended to shrink the tumour, pre-surgery, for last six weeks or so. He is to have both above-mentioned organs removed this coming Tuesday. Operation to take place in Vancouver.

Initially, he had not wanted to tell more than family and a few friends about the diagnosis and suggested treatment. (More to tell about this phase of process but it can wait until we speak.), and I suppose, once treatment was well underway, I simply forgot to inform other friends who knew him. Tough hand to be dealt under any circumstances. Have had a number of messages from Lurch over last week and according to her things are going as well as can be expected, given such a horrendous situation . Will certainly know more after his surgery as I imagine we will hear from Sarge first as they will likely visit Grog in hospital. Will be sure to keep you informed.

 

Must away as I've a number of household chores to discharge as The Rock Lobster, former colleague from ILL, is coming for lunch today, along with his wife, Gwendolyn, and sister, Val. David lived in Penticton, quite close to where we now reside, when a teenager. Val lives in Osoyoos now and they are visiting her. He and Wendy plan to move back to the Okanagan in a year or two. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, just off to pick up some lunch fixings. Cheers, Il Conduttore, aka Commendatore, which I like muchly! Pics: Life in tropical 
Penticton!

Patrick one of my friends down here, a great guy and younger than us, just died of prostate cancer complications. I am aware of how serious it it. I hope Grog pulls through. Keep me in the loop. Glad you are running madly around and that neither of us has been cursed with this terrible illness....David

Hi Vinnie! Condolences on the death of your friend, David. yes, so far, we are extremely blessed. Cheers, Rizzzzzzzzzzzzzzo! Pic: Rock Lobster and Co: Wendy, Val, David

Hello Team Orofino! This is to let you know that Corinne and Patrick, will be attending the pick up party on Saturday, October 3rd. We will be bringing friends, Lynne and Peter, as well. Thanks very much. Looking forward to the new releases along with your fabulous pizza! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Ontario Folk! Trust all goes well with trip. You may have already seen the invitation to next Orofino pick up party. I hope you will be able to join us. Let me know, before September 30th, if possible, so that I can find other guests if you are unable to do so, or are not interested or simply afraid to be back on site for this event!

Gorgeous start to the weekend here. Just waved goodbye to our luncheon guests. The Rock Lobster, former colleague from ILL, drove up around 11:00 am with his wife, Gwendolyn, and sister, Val. David lived in Penticton, quite close to where we now reside, when a teenager. Val lives in Osoyoos now and they are visiting her. He and Wendy plan to move back to the Okanagan in a year or two.

Started the proceedings with G 'n T's, (Noteworthy hootch from Gallagher Lake Distillery. David's parents lived, for a time, when retired, in a trailer park there. We even stayed overnight with them on one of our early Okanagan wine-tasting forays!), for all, except Val, the designated driver, and then, when dining, al fresco, Rock Lobster and I managed, quite easily, I might add, to share a large bottle of Cannery Brewing Anarchist Ale, 6%. Cora Lee had concocted a wonderful kartoffel saladin, along with a tomatoe/bocconcini/fresh basil plate, and an assortment of sliced meats, (buns and moutarde de
Dijon for them as did want), to round out Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe, or in our case, sur les briques de patio! Great good time catching up so a wonderful time. Hope to see more of them in the not too, too distant future.

Off to beat the NDP drum in Kaleden this evening at a fund-raiser for Richard Cannings. Looking forward to event itself as well as seeing a bit of the hamlet as have not even driven through Kaleden before. (Closest I've been is past the turn-off from 97 when cycling that route from Oliver, Keremeos, etc.) Funnily enough, when we mentioned going there later David told us that the grandfather of a former Library Assistant he worked with in ILL, shortly after I left, owned much of the business property in the community and the family was not all that well liked. Not quite sure of the "backstory" but I'm curious to see what I can find out tonight!  Cheers, Patrizzio!


hi patrick, thank you for thinking of me. unfortunately we will be in hot pursuit of your many steps in India. hope all is well with you; matt  
Hi Glasgow! Sorry you won't be around for the Sevens. Looking forward to it myself. Had three great trips with Sir Andrew and Mick, once with them plus Ted Keating, to LA and San Diego, in the mid-2000's, after I took early retirement. Wine tasting en route, it goes without saying! How was your trip east? I gather you didn't see Clara and Dusty or at least I'd didn't hear if you stopped by. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, napping before tonight's political rally. Cheers, Il Conduttore/Patrzzio! Pic: Rock Lobster and Co!

Hi dad, Here is your receipt!! xx Hi Chloë! Thanks for Visa receipt. Do I receive a tax receipt as well? Just like to know. Fondestos from your Mother, sighing over Victor in the Rumpus Room! Love and Cheers, Dad

Hi Darling Olga Polga! Glad you enjoyed snaps of both hike and garden flowers. I'd be delighted to have you take some photos of me and others so I'll certainly remember to ask next time! Fondestos from Mme. Coriandre, (She is looking forward to meeting many of the hiking group as I've told her what a simply fascinating group it is!), napping before political rally so she'll have plenty of strength to wave flags! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Cora Lee, my wife, standing.

Hi Patrick Anna is on a mission to get the fruit gums today! Thanks so much to Elaine for her kind offer but we are looking forward to staying at the hotel - maybe next time? We leave the house at 4.30am tomorrow and I have Flynn today so will be exhausted by the end of the day as well! See you very soon xxx
Hello Fruit Gum People! Thanks to Anna for her, I hope, not Mission Impossible! Sorry to burden you with additional chores so close to departure. On the brighter side, what with grand-parenting and early departure, perhaps you'll sleep all the way to Calgary! If not, some reading, below, to put you to sleep!
Fondestos from Mme Coriandre, sighing over Victor in The Young and The Useless! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Rock Lobster and Co! Great to see everyone again. Wonderful to catch up. Hope we'll see you all again in the not too, too distant future.

Had a very interesting evening at the Richard Canning's-NDP Campaign Kick-off this evening. I couldn't for the life of me, remember Lindsey's family name but I asked a number of people, from Kaleden, that I chatted with, while waiting for program to begin, if they knew the names of any of the people early to the community's development. As it turned out, later on, one woman I'd spoken with, actually introduced me to Doug King who turned out to be Lindsey's uncle! As I was explaining rather tenuous, convoluted connection, his sister, Judith, joined us and she said that she had had lunch with Lindsey, probably while we were doing same at our place! Apparently she and her new baby, and husband as well, I think, are living in Kaleden while she is on maternity leave from UBC OK. Judith passed along Lindsey's email address and I asked her to bring greetings from both of us. I plan to send her the snaps I'd taken of you folks and at fund raiser. Hope we might arrange to see her as it would be fun to hear about her "journey" from UBC back to the Okanagan.

Other than that, evening itself was certainly quite a genuinely stirring political event, as far as such rallies go. Corky Evans gave an extremely heartfelt speech. He expressed, in a far, far more articulate and insightful manner than I could, my thoughts and feelings about what Harper and his government have done to the country. While I respect Richard and certainly support him, he is not as passionate a speaker as Corky so I trust voters will listen to his needed, critically important message rather than his low-key delivery. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Burns Street; Richard; Corky, Judith and Doug; one of organizers, Jim French, one of the hiking group, Cora Lee!

No comments:

Post a Comment