Tuesday 26 May 2015

Bokutachi no Kazoku Blues: Tuesday, May 26th!

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Paul Valery, poet and philosopher (1871-1945) 


Our Family traces the emotional journey of a four-member family that fails to recognize that it is rapidly growing apart until the mother is diagnosed with terminal cancer, ironically bringing forth a hope for salvation. 

A mother's sudden illness brings together a family on the edge of collapse.
A subtle and beautiful tale about "rediscovery" and "rebirth" in an ordinary Japanese family, humorously and movingly portrayed.

Passing sixty, Reiko is a mother who frets about her radically-deteriorating memory. She easily forgets names of people and things. But this happens to everybody, or so her husband and two grown sons believe. When, however, that forgetfulness causes embarrassment for the family and ultimately concern for Reiko's mental health, a trip to the hospital ensues and yields tragic results: she has a brain tumor and likely has only a week to live.

"I'm terrified of seeing our family fall apart." These are Reiko's last words before lapsing into a dementia-like state that compels her to express her innermost thoughts and feelings about family and an old flame. Her husband and two sons are at complete loss as to how to deal with the situation as all the suppressed problems of an "ordinary family" come bubbling to the surface: the family's heavy debts, a dysfunctional lifestyle, the boys' disaffection toward their parents, and a pathetic reliance of the parents on their children.


With the light of life suddenly about to flicker out on Reiko, the question of "What is family?" looms up to demand an answer… from the father, mother, the two sons and the eldest son's wife. Here is a new family story for a new age, and it comes with an unexpected miracle.

 
Interesting morning! Think she reacted to the IV drugs got all nauseated and then she passed out on me. Was like a ghost, she seems a little better now. We have seen the doctor in follow up and the cornea looks good and no fluid leaking. Hope her day gets better and better. Uncle George  

Dearest Rachael! Trust you will be up and around, back to normal, in no time flat! Thinking of you every minute of the day until we  see you in Winnipeg! Much, much Love from your West Coast Cousins, both in Tinsel Town, Ayn, Alex and Pierre, as well as Chloë in Vancouver and Aunt Corinne and Uncle Patrick! 

Hello Shutterbug Ricardo and Rampagin' Ruthless! Pleased as punch that you both of you made it home safely after the "hasty exit" from The Islay Inn, early Sunday morn! Never a dull moment with the Wild and Wooly Squamoids! That being said, thank you both, so much, for joining us at the Farewell Bash, it goes without saying. You and your family are inextricably linked, (for better or worse, much like marriage vows, appropriately/apparently!), to our time in Vancouver so I can't imagine what the Farewell Party could/would have been without you!

Furthermore, thank you, Ricardo, for being so generous as to bring all the necessary real estate transfer paperwork for us to sign. Great to know that we have now been defrauded of our future and will become homeless people. Last laugh is not on me, however, as my cycling garb will allow me to blend in on the Mean Streets, while Lady Mary will be the target of intense ridicule for her high falutin' threads when she's dumpster diving! As well, Ruthless, thanks so much for the incredible Haystacks! I plan to save a few for the GranFondo in July as they'll be virtual jet-fuel. After eating just one, I'll probably outstrip the elite riders!

Also, Ricardo, thanks for the great snaps of us with establishment signs. Will need to commission you when we have the Penticton abode moniker writ in stone. At present, the working title is The Burns Street Social House, the name receiving the most votes, Saturday evening, after the dust settled! However, Lady Mary has decreed that we are going to wait and see what feels right, (Please read "What she wants!"), when we get to the Okanagan. Entre Nous, I think she is miffed that Il Palazzo di Patrizzio was a top runner! (I have already launched an independent investigation into ballot-box tampering!)

Finally, Flash sent along a link which contains all the photographs he took. As a sample, have attached
a terrific one of Ruthless and Elise. (There will be an  on-going debate as to parentage issues, I'm sure!). I wanted to make sure that it was fine with him if I forwarded link to those attending bash, and others, of course, and that they were free to download any images they might wish. As you can appreciate, it will make sharing infinitely easier but I didn't want to presume such unrestricted access. Just had a message a few minutes ago: Forward away. Send the link far and wide, and everyone can peruse at their leisure. I hope the move goes well - I look forward to the new Palazzo! Talk soon,-A. 


Photos are here:

http://www.alastairbird.net/-/galleries/pat_and_corinne_going_away

 
Note that Flash is leaning towards Il Palazzo! At any rate, just wanted to thank you both for everything, especially your undying friendship and generosity. What with "D-Day" just around the corner, not sure how much time I'm going to have to send or reply to messages until we are ensconced in either The Burns Street Social House or Il Palazzo! Must away as the laundry room and the storage locker remain to be dealt with, another decree from on high! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Great shots Alastair, thank you so much and great to see you and Elise!

Hi Patrick and Corinne, Thanks for a wonderful farewell to the Islay Inn. It was great to see and chat with you and so many of your friends. Sorry for the hasty departure, but sometimes you must be extreme to make a point to a pushy driven golfer. It's particularly funny because last weekend he couldn't stop talking about his cases and other things to Mom and Dad (with no harassment)
even though we still had a 4 1/2 hr. drive ahead of us and work early the next morning so we got very little sleep. The irony of it all! But this too shall pass! R.
 

P.S. Good Luck with the Big Move! I'm getting ready for my big hike, but I'll be thinking about both of you as you set up shop in your new town.

Hi Ruthless! Know exactly what you mean about "pushy, driven" people, the crosses which we easy-going, patient, kind and ever-accommodating red-heads must needs deal with, bear every waking minute of our lives! More importantly, just wanted to send along best wishes for a safe and phenomenal hike. What a grand adventure and trust we can share the experience when next we meet, when not on the road to anywhere, as a certain Pushoid would say!

On an even lighter note, due to the Children's Festival, on now at Granville Island, the resident Canada Geese and their adolescent broods have been forced away from the large grassy areas beside the Water Park. Had a number of flotillas waddle past our place a few moments ago , foraging on the greener pastures across the way, the ever-observant parents herding the stragglers and adventuresome ones back to the main groups! Feeling like we live, smack dab, in the middle of a petting zoo! Fondestos from Cora Lee. Travel safely. Have a wonderful, wonderful time. Cheers, Patrizzio!


It was great to meet you Patrick. Pity the Polish-Ukranian alliance was so short-lived (only one night as I recall). Bit like the last real one, actually...And I'm monumentally sorry that I couldn't save you some moving problems vis-a-vis the single malt; but if you're ever up Girvan way, I'd very much like to add to your next one with a rare bouteille from the local distillery (Grant's). Winston

Hi Winston! Terrific to meet you as well, Winston! Sorry I won't be around to play one last round before you are off but I'll certainly keep Girvan in mind. We are planning to be back in Europe in 2016, (After Inja with Lynne and Peter this Fall.), and Scotland is high on the list of the number of countries we'd like to spend time in. Bon Voyage when it is your turn to leave, Winston. Onward! Fight!! Cheers, Patrizzio!!!

Hi Patrick, The big day is fast approaching for the move -I seem to recall May 28th? However, the bad news is that I will be unable to help you load the van. I have had a hell of a time with sciatica which first struck me mildly in January. I have had a couple of more severe attacks since I last saw you in mid-March and I’m struggling to get them behind me recently. So it has all been somewhat depressing lately.

I hope that you have ample people power for the big move and that it goes smoothly. We are still planning to come up to the Ok valley July 18th or so -we are staying near Naramata for a week and later staying in Kelowna for a couple of days. Hope to see you and Corrine then. cheers, Bill. 


Hi Wild Bill! Terribly sorry to hear about your nasty sciatica. Can only imagine how painful it must be. On the bright side, it could have been gout! Seriously, close friend, in Melbourne, was hospitalized recently, for three weeks, with severe arthritis in her spine. She was planning to visit Vancouver this June but has had to cancel her trip. Her husband, Stefano, will still travel as their eldest daughter, Zoe, is here. Perhaps you'll bump into him in Penticton as he will be visiting us in July around the time you plan to be in Naramata/Kelowna.
 

Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and Denise. Trust your back is back to normal as soon as possible, under circumstances. Onward! Fight!! Cheers, Patrizzio!!! 
Dear Corinne and Pat, Just wanted to say a huge thank you as well for a lovely party!! You have such a wonderful daughter and friends!! It was so nice to put a face to the names and meet Ray. Hope your packing is going well.

This is a very last minute invitation because some friends just cancelled tonight so wondered if you two might be interested? I am going to an early evening event put on by Butterfield and Robinson cycling company based in Toronto. It is a complimentary evening with drinks and appies. My friend Tina is joining me. It is from 5:30 to 7:30 at The Refinery restaurant at 1115 Granville near Davie.

I know you have lots and lots to do but if you could break away for a wee bit, I would love you to join us. Have a super day and thanks again for you warm hospitality!! I will miss you but look forward to visiting you with George! Ps If you can come tonight I will send your names in. Hugs, Jane 


Hi Jane,thanks so much for thinking of us but will have to pass on tonight. Lots to do as you can imagine. Glad you were able to be at the party. We look forward to seeing you and George in Penticton soon. Hugs Corinne

Hi Calamity and Frank Lloyd Wright's Lesser Known Brother, the Construction Worker!

If you have not already given away one of the tickets, I would dearly love to join you for the Paul Butterfield Blues event. As is usual, Lady Mary spoke on my behalf, (You will recall, in my address on Saturday eve, I mentioned I was loathe to do such for her!), but I would be more than delighted to attend, for an hour or so, before I make for the Cinematheque, at 1131 Howe Street, just a block or so from The Refinery, to see Our Family, probably one of the last Vancouver Foreign Film Society's screenings I'll see for awhile. No big deal if tickets are gone. I'll just keep packing!

Furthermore, thank you both, so much, for joining us at the Farewell Bash, it goes without saying. You are inextricably linked, (for better or worse, much like marriage vows, appropriately/apparently!), to our time in Vancouver so I can't imagine what the Farewell Party could/would have been without you!

You might know that Ricardo brought all the necessary real estate transfer paperwork for us to sign. Great to know that we have now been defrauded of our future and will become homeless people. Last laugh is not on me, however, as my cycling garb will allow me to blend in on the Mean Streets, while Lady Mary will be the target of intense ridicule for her high falutin' threads when she's dumpster diving! A

Also thanked Ricardo for some great snaps of us with establishment signs. Will need to commission him when we have the Penticton abode moniker writ in stone. At present, the working title is The Burns Street Social House, the name receiving the most votes, Saturday evening, after the dust settled! However, Lady Mary has decreed that we are going to wait and see what feels right, (Please read "What she wants!"), when we get to the Okanagan. Entre Nous, I think she is miffed that Il Palazzo di Patrizzio was a top runner! (I have already launched an independent investigation into ballot-box tampering!) However, thanks to Giorgio, Tummler's Reach, is in the running as well, as far as The Brotherhood goes! A percentage of magnet sales might help sway odds in favour of latter!

Finally, Flash sent along a link which contains all the photographs he took. As a sample, have attached a terrific one of Ruthless and Elise. (There will be an on-going debate as to parentage issues, I'm sure!). I wanted to make sure that it was fine with him if I forwarded link to those attending bash, and others, of course, and that they were free to download any images they might wish. As you can appreciate, it will make sharing infinitely easier but I didn't want to presume such unrestricted access. Just had a message a few minutes ago:

Forward away. Send the link far and wide, and everyone can peruse at their leisure. I hope the move goes well - I look forward to the new Palazzo! Talk soon,-A.

Photos are here:


http://www.alastairbird.net/-/galleries/pat_and_corinne_going_away

Note that Flash is leaning towards Il Palazzo! At any rate, just wanted to thank you both for everything, especially your undying friendship and generosity. What with "D-Day" just around the corner, not sure how much time I'm going to have to send or reply to messages until we are ensconced at Tummler's Reach! Must away as the laundry room and the storage locker remain to be dealt with, another decree from on high! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Let me know about cycling event, Calamity, when you have a moment, and we'll plan accordingly.  Cheers, Patrizzio!  


Great to hear you can come Pat! Sent your name in. I am meeting Tina at 5:30 at the resto. We are going by bus. I left you a phone message. Very funny recording by the way!

My phone number is below. I plan to go home and get ready and then I will leave about 4:50 ish. What works for you? Should we meet at front door of resto too? Jane
 
Hi Calamity! Thanks for phone number. I'm planning to be there around 5:30 pm as well so we can probably meet at front door of The Refinery. If I'm late, I'll give you a shout. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Entaxei Patrizzio as Tina would say!! Looking forward to it!! Could be a bit of a sales thing but we will see! Hasta pronto! JaneHola encora. Leaving now at bus stop In case I am late you can call Tina. Thx Jane 

Hi Calamity! Thanks so much for the terrific reception! Great good fun and simply a delight to meet Tina. Do hope we will have a chance to see more of her, and you, Giggster and Morita, in the not too, too distant future. Really enjoyed Our Family and walk back over Granville Bridge was a treat. Won't be able to pop downtown, at the drop of a hat, at least in Vancouver, shortly, obviously. Well, it was more than a wonderful innings, so to speak. Take care of each other and we'll be in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Dear Pat, Thanks for your kind note. So glad you were able to join us! I had a great time and so did Tina!! She really enjoyed meeting you too! I thought the appies and wine were delish and chatting with some of the other folks was fun too.

Glad you enjoyed your film. You and Corinne have really lived fully here. You have been involved in many interesting activities and have met lovely people! Good luck with last few days of work. You take good care of each other too! I will send you some pics of things at Ukiyo!! Enjoy your new adventure. We look forward to seeing you at your new home. All the best, Jane 



Dear Patrick and Corinne Thanks for the lovely party on Saturday!  You have wonderful neighbors and friends.  It was most enjoyable. As you know you will be missed immensely but the "freeloaders" I am sure will make their way to Penticton to check out your new digs and have a great visit with you.  Your experiences in Penticton will be interesting.

I had hoped that we could stop by on our way home from Edmonton -- we leave tomorrow for my Dad's 90th birthday celebration on Saturday.  Both boys will join us at my brothers so the whole family will be together which is rare.  We will not be able to head to Penticton this time around as I was on a waiting list for physio at St. Paul's and the only appointment time I could get was Friday June 5 and Friday June 12.  I just don't want to forsake these MSP covered physio sessions so will have to miss out on seeing your new place.  Probably better given I think you will be busy and will most likely be better to see it once you have unpacked and gotten settled.
 

We appreciate the fact that you were so warm in your invitation to come and visit. Please keep in touch and let us know how the move goes. We will be thinking of you. As always, your grateful colleague and friend Jo-Anne

Hi Patrice, I had a moment and talked to Corrine about weather you might want to take my car up but please don't worry about it at all. I realize that it's too
much and it would be stressful and the last thing you need to think about .

Also I think it would be much more relaxing to just spend the day Saturday
hanging out and I can help you guys out with unpacking etc. I will ride back with Chloe to Hope or Vancouver as discussed. talk to you soon. Thanks, Al
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment