Wednesday 20 May 2015

Northern Grease Fracking Blues: Wednesday, May 20th!

Music was invented to confirm human loneliness. -Lawrence Durrell, novelist and poet (1912-1990)  



Dad, Did mom tell you I got your name on the list to get in to this movie?

We have your phone here.  Have painters coming this am so need to be here.  Could drop off later.  Pauline

Dear Bridge Directors! I would like to complain about the fact that our two hosts, albeit extremely generous ones, managed to have the two top scores for the evening. It is my understanding that it is a rule, albeit an unwritten one, that on such social occasions, the hosts never, never win as this is a tremendous show of disrespect towards their guests!

That being said, wonderful to meet Jody and Nick and tremendously funny to learn that they had lived longer in Winnipeg than we "true" Winnipeggers, all four of us having been born there! More coincidence to discover that Nick coached Ted's brother, Bob, at one point!

Thank you both for the simply delicious appetizers and dinner, particularly as we were able to relish both, outside on your lovely garden patio. Lively, fun-filled discussions so loads of jibes, (Mainly at my expense, Director, so another complaint I wish to add to my long list!), and laughs. Needed a snort or two of malt to quell the disappointment of having one of the lowest scores for the night! I reiterate, I do not think it is right or fair when the hosts manage to have the two top scores! At any rate, I was awarded a rather fancy under-seat bicycle bag, stuffed with $1,000 US bills so I suppose I shouldn't whinge!

Appreciate the two snaps, Pauline. I gather Lady Mary sent an earlier message to say she would collect her phone. My fault, of course, she kept insisting, since I was using it to take pictures! Thanks again for such a wonderful night with wonderful, wonderful friends, old and new. Cheers, Sour Grapes Patrizzio!

PS: I'll send along some snaps when phone is repatriated!


dear Patrick and Corrine, just a short note to wish you well in your move, we were heading over for you farewell bashbut the plane was fully booked, so sorry but enjoy yourselves all the best, bev and kev  

Hi Bev and Kev! Sorry to hear that your flight was fully booked but thanks for best wishes! However, we have decided not to move to Penticton and plan to live with you since you are now in a new home as well. Imagine how many wine-tasting trips to Swan Valley we can we can go on!!! Looking forward to seeing those "good friends" able to join us for Saturday's Farewell Bash! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Decided I'd hit UBC on the day's ride as hadn't been out that way since before the Victoria Day weekend.  Started out making for Olympic Village and then planned on doing some Place de la Concorde loops but I was foiled by some movie shoot which involved a chopper on my own private training ground. Miffed, I made for the Granville Bridge and then retraced my steps. Chopper was still there when I whizzed past but I had already logged enough distance by then not to be fussed anymore. Did a few lops of Kits Point and had to keep my eyes on the bike path as I scooted up the slight grade by Kits Pool as the bikini babes were out in full force! Then it was Point Grey Road and Spanish Banks. Had 31 km on the clock by the bottom of the UBC Foreshore Hill and then it was easy-peasy as I simply switched to auto-pilot and my Trek took me through the 16th/Imperial/Marine Loop and then it was back on Chancellor to fly down the hill on 4th. Bit of a jam on Highbury and 4th but once I'd threaded my way through the impatient drivers I was soon back on Point Grey and soon past Kits Pool, eyes averted from the scantily clad sun worshipers! Home about 5:15 pm and pleased with both distance and AVG. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/780282425#.VV0p0CtC7_g.email

Hi Flash! Wonderful to hear from you! Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but, as I'm sure you can well imagine, it has been pretty busy, if not hectic, over last little while. With respect to Grogg, while we knew about his initial diagnosis over the Easter weekend, we received the same message you obviously did, just this past weekend, when we in Little Shuswap with Ruthless and Ricardo.

Another reason I'm glad you sent along a message is the fact that I thought I had invited you folks to our last party at the Islay Inn, but obviously didn't have you in the broadcast email. Do hope that you and Kirsten and The Goils can come to our Farewell Bash but if not then we will give you a shout, one way or another. Be grand it we see you on Saturday! Cheers, Patrizzio!
  

An inspection visit has been made to 611 Burns in Penticton. We were specifically looking ‎for Harleys, patches etc.  Saw a few tattoos but no bikes - given the lovely weather they may have been on the highway.You're gonna have to get a pickup however.‎ Blending in is important. The camper in the back appeared to be on your property. Looks like a meth lab. We were going to pry open a window and have a look around (he house but couldn't tell if it was still occupied. Figuring that if it was, they would probably be armed, we gave it a miss.

Seriously, a lovely looking place ‎with minimal, if any gardening requirements.
Not sure I can fit in the Gotham before you leave. Let me know when you'll be back for a visit and I'll make sure I'm out of town. Looking forward to Saturday.
Cheers....Paul PS - it is an interesting question about proximity to an Angles clubhouse. It used to be that was where you wanted to be - the young punks wouldn't dream of boosting a car or breaking in anywhere nearby. Now with this new breed ‎of clubs (see Texas a few day ago) proximity may not be a plus. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  Hi Paolo, et al! Thanks for the inspection report! Pleased that you didn't run afoul of the bikers! Cora Lee wants a new car so I guess we'll buy a pickup, as you suggest. Great for my bikes. However, we had another inspection done to confirm deficiencies were addressed and chap who did it said, in his opinion, we could re-sell the place for much, much more than we paid, given condition, etc. This being the case, we have put it on the market and plan to live with you and Joan until you discharge Gotham debt! If place doesn't sell, will certainly be in town for Folk Fest, (Cora Lee is off to The Big Apple that weekend), so Gotham will be a nice treat after all the Whale's Tails and such! Looking forward to seeing those of you able to join us for Saturday's Farewell bash. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Mums burns are now healing quite nicely and she is out of pain most of the time, thank goodness. Mya told me that she was disappointed that I was thinking of going without her, so she spat on them and threw them away!!

We would love for you to catch up with Kirsty and Chris and of course Mark and Bree and girls, Kirsty will only be there for the first week as she and Chris are then flying to Vancouver, Seattle and Las Vegas.

We have only just got Netflix in Australia but we have 73 free to air channels so are content to watch them. Enjoyed reading your email with visits to Okanagan and Shuswap, a much loved part of the wonderful countryside of BC, spent a few holidays there with Rae and LloydJ Please keep us in the loop with Gregg, do you know how he discovered the cancer in the first place?

Had a wonderful bush-walk around the Goldfields of the Barossa this morning so I am going to take my book and have a nice long soak in the bath. Love to all Tina

Hi Teens! Very pleased to learn that your Mom has made a good recovery. Please send along fond regards to her from us both. Not sure what Mya spat upon and threw away. Did I miss something? As far as I'm aware, Gregg noticed blood in his urine back in Jan/Feb when in Hawaii. Flamin' and Sarge happened to be with them at the time. Jealous that you had been bush-walking in Barossa! However, we were in McLaren Vale last night! (See below.) Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Ron Since I won't be able to attend your last service at the cafe, I wanted to let you know how much I've appreciated your musical gifts over the time I served at Trinity.

We had a bit of a rocky start as I remember, while we became used to each other's ways of thinking and working. I've always been grateful that you had what it took to stay through what organizational theorists call the "storming" stage so that we could move into the "norming", and then "performing" stages of working together, because as we figured out how to collaborate, serving with you and your choir was a delightful experience for me, both as minister and as worshipper.

I loved your creativity, your ability to arrange songs in a magical way, to write music when necessary, to take up ideas from Janice or me, and turn them into something wondrous. I particularly remember when you became Johnny Clegg so effortlessly and sang "Asimbonanga" for our memorial service for Mandela. Another high point was the choir's rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Anthem" at Janice's suggestion. But then every Sunday was a delightful surprise. Your ability to traverse such a wide compendium of styles and genres was exciting.

Your own voice and musicality was wondrous on its own, and the professional choir was an amazing gift to a such small congregation. I was blessed both to hear you all practice and then offer the music during worship. The times when you sang and played were oases during the service for me and those present.

I know you had already found a morning gig at another church. I'm glad others will be able to enjoy your gifts. I wish you and your family all the best as you go into the future. Whomever is fortunate enough to experience your music making is blessed indeed. Warm regards Bethan

No comments:

Post a Comment