Saturday 11 July 2015

Black Widow Hourglass Blues: Saturday, July 11th!

Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire. -George W. Crane 



Well, tomorrow is the GranFondo! Left house at 7:30 am and went for a very pleasant "stretch" ride with good friend Matt, up from Vancouver, for weekend, and I showed him the initial part of ride, not in exact order but same ground, more or less. We started out going along Lakeshore and then looped back to take Vancouver Ave to Upper Bench Road and then, instead of heading back into Penticton, as one does in GF, we went all the way to just beyond the turn-off to Naramata Village. Turned around in the driveway of close friends, slightly beyond this turnoff, and then made for home. Wonderful morning and the views of stunning Okanagan Lake and the various benches carpeted thickly with vineyards, from Naramata Road, are phenomenal so quite a visually rewarding ride, though fairly short compared to distance I have ahead of me! Onward!! Fight!!!

Back home for quick showers and then we headed off to Black Widow for a vertical tasting of their Hourglass, a Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013. Wonderful experience indeed. 2009 was my favourite, most delicious, still fruit forward, 15.2%. Then to Manitou Park, in Naramata, for a picnic. very, very windy and just as we were finished our fab food, (bought from the Greek stall at the market), thunder started to rumble and we packed up and left, The Sisterhood to shop, what else, while Matt and I made for home as I had to collect my GF registration package at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre, about 20 minutes, on foot, from our place. 

Once home, Matt wanted a cup of tea before we left so I took a look at my messages and shortly thereafter, The Power Shoppers returned. Leaving them to lounge and loll on the patio, we set off for the PTCC, enjoying the afternoon heat as the dark clouds had vanished and blue skies reigned. Had fun chatting with many of the vendors after I collected my package and then we walked back home. Wanted to clean my Trek and oil the chain so I did just that and after it was clean and shiny and not squeaky, I affixed my ride # F to the handlebars and the computer chip which tracks each rider, to the right front fork. This done it was time for a quick shower and change as we are off to The Dream Cafe for dinner and then to hear Jim Byrnes. I just dug out his I Hear the Wind in the Wires CD as I hope to have him sign it at some point this evening! Must away as Lynne and Peter have jsut arrived and it's time to choose a pre-dinner malt!

Pat, Hope all goes well on the ride. Temperature looks reasonable to the air quality might be questionable. It seems to have cleared a bit here with the recent winds and it has certainly cooled down. Ray 

Greetings from Nanoose! Good luck tomorrow-will definitely make a contribution to Aunt Leahs. They ask for your mailing address, but not your email address.
What is your new address? Cheers, Grog & Lurch
 

P.S. Just had 3rd round of chemo yesterday in Victoria, 2 toxic chemos, plus had a pulmonary embolism. (nice 5 hour trip to emergency last Friday)
Have had to learn to self inject a special blood thinner through my left eye.
(actuall through abs or thighs) Therefore, I am only playing 2 ball games in a tourney today, with a little cycle to warm up.. And will select a nice red for this evening... Have a great ride tomorrow!! 


Pat, Hope all goes well on the ride. Temperature looks reasonable to the air quality might be questionable. It seems to have cleared a bit here with the recent winds and it has certainly cooled down. Ray  

No comments:

Post a Comment