Sunday 5 July 2015

Garage Sale Peach Orchard Punisher Blues: Sunday, July 5th!

Hi Gaelan, particular greetings to you, in the comfort of your bed, as reported by Chloƫ Alexis! After helping The Sisterhood set up for our Garage Sale, (9-noon), I lubed and suited up to head out around 9:30 am, having decided to repeat the Peach Orchard Punisher, the first real test of one's mettle after the climb to Upper Bench Road. Gorgeous morning and since I was heading into the ferocious head wind all the way to Summerland it wasn't overly hot. Once at the bottom of Peach Orchard I geared right down and found the climb not too, too bad, certainly slightly less demanding than on my earlier ride this past week. Once I'd crested the hill I knew I had nothing but an easy ride all the way back to Penticton. Passed two female riders taking a break under the Highway 97 overpass, near the lip of the hill, and told them that resting in the shade was not allowed. They smiled and said I was welcome to join them but since I couldn't risk The Dreaded Burning Ground I waved my thanks and cycled on.

Exhilarating swoosh all the way down Hilborn Street and then Happy Valley Road to return to 97 not that far down the highway from 8th Generation. Literally zipped backed o Penticton as the wind cannoned me along. (In fact, I think the ride into the wind was far more taxing than the climb up Peach Orchard Road!). Once back on Eckhardt I took a quick spin past our place to see how Garage Sale was going. Gave a shout to Sisterhood, both reading, so I assumed business was slow, and then made for Vancouver Ave as I wanted to do the Upper Bench segment before calling it a day. Once again, this climb is becoming relatively easy so am pleased with my training regimen so far. Another swooshorama home and I was back shortly before noon. Am planning to do the OK Falls/Oliver/Fairview Mountain circuit tomorrow but plan to leave by 7:00 am to try to beat the worst of the heat of the day. GranFondo clock is ticking! Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/824683110#.VZrG_W-aapk.email

No comments:

Post a Comment