Friday 3 July 2015

Fairview Mountain Blues: Friday, July 3rd!

A book must be an axe for the frozen sea inside of us. -Franz Kafka, novelist (3 Jul 1883-1924)


Chloe Alexis Dunn Krissy Seymour this made me think of you!!! Patrick James Dunn Truer words were never spoken, or written, in this case!

Up at just before 8:00 am after listening to radio and dropping in and out of sleep since 5:50 am. One of my favourite ways to dream! Loads to do today from a trip to recycling depot to hanging pictures to tidying up house!

Hi Glasgow, Galianoites and The Constant Gardener! Lovely to hear from you, Glasgow, and know that life goes well in our ex-city! How was the Jazz Fest? Will you be bringing your bikes? How proceeds Catherine's recovery? I can show you a few of my favourite routes which you might enjoy. Plenty of places to go that don't involve overly punishing hills. Run to Okanagan Falls, right along cooling waters of Skaha, is a case in point with wine-tasting at Blue Mountain, Liquidity, Stag's Hollow and Wild Goose as the carrot! Could stop at Blasted Church, en route, but the climb to the winery is more than daunting, believe me! Better plan is to take Mclean Creek Road, (A good grind/slog but not as difficult as one we did in Amador with Whirlygig.), just after Blasted Church and then drop down into OK Falls, passing Synchromesh Wines and Meyer Family Vineyards, just below stunning Peach Cliff Mountain with its gorgeous rugged rock face.

Trip to Falcon and 70th anniversary celebrations were wonderful, seeing friends and family en route, so that made trip even more rewarding. Talk about heat, back home. I happened to listen to an early radio news broadcast this morning, local/regional CBC out of Kelowna, and Osoyoos was fifth on a list of about 150 cities around the world as hottest! All the rest were in Kuwait, Iraq and Saudi!!!
 
Plenty to do as I'm sure you can imagine. Must away as I am being hectored, nastily, I might add, by Lady Mary. She wants to hang some pictures before we make run to recycling depot. Fondestos to one and all from my Cruel Task Mistress. Looking forward to your visit with Catherine, Matt, and hope rest of you ocean folk will make trek to Il Paradiso Penticton in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Just thought it would be easier to say in an email then calling, I got my period early this morning. I was spotting a bit yesterday but that can happen so I was hopeful but I guess wasn't meant to be this time. So wine by the bucket full this weekend. :( xx 

Hi Chloë and Goils! Sorry to learn that things did not work out on first try. Nevertheless, you are on the way so trust all goes well over next little while. Your Mom just left to run a number of errands. We took a huge load to recycling depot earlier. I'm having a bite to eat, (Yogurt, Rice Krispies and fresh apricots from next door neighbour, Gary. He brought a about a dozen over last night and said we could help ourselves to fruit on the tree in their yard. You can take some back to Vancouver if you'd like.) As soon as I finish my brunch I'm off to ride to OK Falls then Oliver to climb Fairview Mountain there. Last tough ascent of GranFondo and a very good one. Will then loop back to Penticton so you might well be here by the time I'm back. Travel safely. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! 

Left home at just before 1:00 pm to make for OK Falls as I wanted to do the Oliver/Fairview Mountain loop. With the strong wind behind me I had an AVG of 26+ kph as I made my way up Mclean Creek Road. That dropped, of course by the time I climbed the hill and then made my way into OK Falls. Stretch between there and Oliver is either pretty flat or slightly downhill all the way so I was able to keep and AVG of 25.5 kph until I was at the base of Fairview Mountain. Another gruelling grade but once again, being reasonably familiar with climb I simply put my head down and slogged away.

Good steady climb for most of rest of the way but some long flat stretches in the two picturesque valleys one rides through so I was grateful for this respite, although wind more than made up for it as it was now in my face. Once I was back on 97 I knew I had things in control although I wasn't particularly pleased about my final AVG. Guess I can blame it on the roasting temperature which was between 38º and 36º over the course of the outing.  Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/822701616#.VZcpP2tGEcQ.email 

Have u spoken with Andrew of late, have not heard from him this past May, he usually calls on my birthday, was wondering if he will be in BC this Summer he had spoken to me way back about visiting with you and Corinne, not sure if he meant Vancouver or your new home in Penticton!? You seem to be enjoying biking in the Okanagan! Come and try our Amarone style Appasimento wine, limited edition only $55.00 compare to much more expensive Amarone styled wines anywhere else in the world and according to John Schreiner one of the best!

Patrick James Dunn Hi Ginette! I called Andrew from Falcon Lake, a week or so ago. He is now officially retired. Was waiting to hear what his school pension would be when we chatted. Seemed pretty good, overall. He was not sure about a visit when we talked. Do hope to visit Intersection over the next week or so as we have a number of friends coming for the weekend of the GranFondo. Hello to Pénélope, Dylan and Bruce. Cheers, Patrizzio! Chloë drove up this afternoon and will be here to help with our Garage Sale on Sunday. Cheers!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment