Thursday 9 July 2015

Tank-Top Blues: Thursday, July 9th!

Some men of a secluded and studious life have sent forth from their closet or their cloister, rays of intellectual light that have agitated courts and revolutionized kingdoms; like the moon which, though far removed from the ocean, and shining upon it with a serene and sober light, is the chief cause of all those ebbings and flowings which incessantly disturb that restless world of waters. -Charles Caleb Colton, author and clergyman (1780-1832)
 

Up at 7:30 am to make myself a cup of java. Melanie was up shortly thereafter and I asked her if she drank coffee. Since she did I retrieved the Bodum from the storage shelves in The Rumpus Room and set about making a pot as Flamin', I knew, would have some as well. Cora Lee, I soon discovered, was out on the front porch reading. She'd awakened around 6:30 am and didn't want to disturb the rest of the Sleeping Beauties so she tip-toed out the front door and settled on the couch to read, catching the early morning sun's rays.


Once everyone was up Mme Coriandre started breakfast and once the omelet and sausages were ready we helped ourselves and then repaired to the patio, where it was far cooler, to enjoy the delicious repast. More visiting and then gang readied themselves to go tubing. (Although invited, since I have to be quite careful of amount of sun I receive, and with all my riding, I know I have had plenty of late, in spite of all the heavy sunscreen and long sleeves I use, I declined.) Cora Lee and Freeloaders left the house around 10:00 am and I did a few kitchen chores, put in a load of laundry and then finally had time to sit down and attempt to attend to my overwhelming message backlog.
 
Gang were back around 1:00 pm, having had a grand time, cooling off. Loaded up their possessions, said goodbye and made for Liquidity, just out of OK Falls as they wanted to have lunch there. Will see them on Saturday, at Farmers' Market, here. Will probably go for a short, stretch ride later in day. Have plenty of other things to do, (hang pictures in our bedroom, arrange shelves in my study, unpack a few more boxes, etc.), until then.


Nice pink shorts Patrick, I guess the nearby drivers never fail to see you.
A seventieth wedding anniversary is really something and probably means they are both at least 90. I think I recall that my Dad’s mother married at 16 but I think my grandfather was about 15 years older than her! They came to Vancouver from New Brunswick in about 1900 a few years before my Dad was born.

Glad to hear my Van Sun article made it to you. If you are at loose ends in Vancouver on the 14th or so give us a call -we’ve got our garden in pretty good shape now. We pack up Fri night to leave early Sat -we have a lunch date in Kelowna that day. We will give you a call on the Tues AM so we can come and see your Burns Street abode and arrange a meal later in the week on our deck.

Are the girls going by the Cathay red-eye to NYC? It is very efficient, non-stop and you are at JFK by about 6:30AM in time for a whole day. Tell them not to miss the new 911 Museum -it is fabulous and moving! I hope it is not “chicken frying” hot when they are there. Talk later WB


Hi again, Wild Bill! Glad you like my cycling gear as Cora Lee hates it! Yes, Corinne's parents are both in their early '90's and going strong! Paul and Joan Whitney, up in Dunbar, have offered to put us up on the nights of the 14th/15th and then I hope to move to the Keatings for the weekend so I'll probably give you a shout on Thursday, after I move to Kits! If we don't connect, for whatever reasons, I'll expect a call on Tuesday so that we can arrange a get-together over the course of your stay at Deep Roots. Look forward to seeing you both, one way or another.  Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Wednesday evening with Melanie and Corinne, at bbq; Nicole, Freeloader's daughter; Sarge; white wine cooler, from 8th Generation. Comes with a mold that one fills with water and any decorative elements one wishes to use before placing in freezer.


Hello Bayswater Bee People! Must apologize for not being in touch sooner but we seem to have been so busy, of late, what with trip to Winnipeg, (June 16th-July 1st), to celebrate Cora Lee's parent's 70th wedding anniversary, (Wonderful, wonderful celebration!), and on-going un-packing/settling-in, that my electronic correspondence is mightily in arrears, as I trust you can appreciate. Nevertheless, wondering if I might stay at your place from Thursday, the 16th until Monday morning, the 20th, as I'll be attending the Folk Fest. If at all inconvenient, I'm sure I can "insist" myself on someone else, although not Chloƫ as she doesn't want her parents staying!

We will be  driving to Vancouver on the 14th, as Lady Mary is jet-setting off, on the 16th, to The Big Apple, for ten days with Robyn, as I think you might recall. Paul and Joan Whitney have offered to put us up on the nights of the 14th/15th. We feel it is better to "spread" ourselves around so as not to wear out our welcome! 
Let me know what you think about my pushy request to stay and I'll plan accordingly.
Chat soon, I trust. Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: Thursday morning before Freeloaders went tubing on Penticton River Channel.

Hi Patrick – my list shows that you registered for 4 people for our special tasting.  Just a reminder that the tasting will start promptly at 10AM this Saturday morning.  The event is sold out, so if your plans have changed kindly let me know – we have a wait list. Look forward to seeing you. Cheers. Dick

Hi Dick! Thanks for the reminder but we have had your event on our calendar ever since confirmation arrived. We plan to sleep in your parking lot on Friday night in order to be first in the Tasting Room door on Saturday morning! Look forward to seeing you at 9:00 am for bacon and eggs! Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!

After I had spent a couple of hours catching up on my messaging I put on some sunscreen and then rode my Brodie downtown, stopping at the UPS Store on Martin Street to collect a package that had been delivered yesterday but came when nobody was at home. Then on to the Penticton Public Library to sign up for a library card. As soon as I was registered, I inquried about the holdings for Adrain McKinty and found, to my delight that two volumes of an earlier series were on the shelves. Since we are both quite taken with his writing I placed an ILL request for the second book in the series and checked out the other two. Feels somewhat different being on the the other side of the ILL operation! Then home again. Stats for errando run: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/828514792#.VZ8PpUuXbi8.email

Once back Cora Lee told me that Rooms to Go had phoned and our new bed and two bar stools were in and would be delivered on Friday. This beng the case, we decided to drop by store and pay for them, wanting to get the paper work out of the way. Did this and then another quick stop at Canada Superstore for some vegetables we needed for tomorrow's dinner with Matt and Catherine, arriving at around noon, according to latest message from them. 

Once vegetables were cleaned and put away, I sent out a broadcast email using a Jackie Lawson card and my address book on that system, trying to drum up donations, in support of Aunt Leah's, for Sunday's ride. Then a made a large salad, topped with overleft pork and we ate in the Rumpus Room, watching three episodes of Homeland. I wanted to watch another but Cora Lee lay down the law and so I'm forced to read my book instead of sitting on the edge of my seat as the series is quite a nail-biter! Need to be up fairly early anyway as I want to make my last training run, one more climb of Peach Orchard Punisher. Hope to leave between 7:00 am-8:00 am as I want to be back in time for furniture delivery between 10:00 am-11:00am, according to Rooms to Go people.

Dear Friends and Family! I'm riding in the Penticton Granfondo (160km) category on Sunday, July 12th, for Aunt Leah's Place, a non-profit that provides service to young adults aging out of foster care. This link is to their donation page: 

https://auntleahs.org/support-us/donate/one-time-checkout/
 
If you wish to donate, click the "I am making this gift in honour of someone" button and fill in my name, (Patrick Dunn). Tax receipts will be issued for all donations. Thanks, in advance, for any support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment