Thursday 6 August 2015

Danish Dynamite Blues: Thursday, August 6th!

Every government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck. -Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (5 Aug 1850-1893)




Good morning, The shuttle driver has indicated where he will pick your group up at Cherry Lane tomorrow. Please see below. See you soon! Pick up at Cherry Lane will be on Atkinson Street opposite The Bay’s west entrance. From the parking lot there are a few steps leading down to the street. I will have the bus on Atkinson Street at the bottom of the steps. Warm regards, Virginia

Hi Margareta, Johan and Peter! Trust everyone is well. Just confirming that you are on AC 1881, leaving LA at 1:00 pm, arriving YVR at 15:49 pm. It usually takes about an hour to clear Customs, collect baggage, etc., so I'll synchronize my arrival to coincide with time plane actually lands. I will be "circling" near International Arrivals and will collect you across the street from where you exit.  You can give me a shout
on my cell phone once you land and/or know, approximately when you might be coming outside. Depending on traffic at Arrivals, I sometimes park a few minutes away and then make a "scoping" run every so often. At any rate, I'm sure all will go well.

I will have Okanagan cherries, carrot sticks and vegetable straws for snacks but if you or the boys want we can stop somewhere for something to eat and drink if need be. I'd like to try to "escape" from Vancouver as soon as possible and usually stop just past Chilliwack, at Bridal Falls, to buy gas. There is a store and a restaurant there. Probably about an hour and a half from the airport, again, depending on rush-hour traffic in the city and on the highway, until Abbotsford at least!

Travel safely. I'm off to run a few errands and then I plan to go for a ride with Sarge. He has a number of meetings/appointments beforehand. You will be staying with them when you fly back to Vancouver on Sunday. I think, under the circumstances, it will work well for sightseeing, etc., since you'll be closer to GI and downtown than you would be at Chloƫ's place. Simply easier to get around. Anyway, we can chat about such matters on ride back to Penticton. Fondestos to one and all. See you later this afternoon. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics, from last night, to show Maggie her her-to-be new Host Parents: Flamin'; Sarge with Avery, his granddaughter, and Jo-Anne, neighbour upstairs, with her granddaughter Brooklyn, visiting while her parents get ready to move from North Van to Whiterock. 


Cool with a bit of very light rain in the early morning on Thursday. This being the case I decided to wait for Sarge to finish up his round of meetings and appointments before going for  ride. He said he would be free around 11:30 am, or so. I had plenty to do before then so was happy to catch up on my email backlog, if nothing else. As it happened, he wasn't able to join me so I set out just after 2:00 pm and had decided I'd stitch together various parts of a number of my former, regular routes, for old times sake! Started out on the Seawall and made for Stanley Park and did one Prospect Point loop before taking the Burrard Bridge to Kits Point. Then I was set for UBC via Spanish Banks and a number of length dipsy-doodles around campus before heading back to 4th and making for Harbour Terrace. Must say that the coolness of the day made the ride most enjoyable, quite a contrast to the baking heat, of late, in Penticton. Although the sun did start to shine towards the end of the ride, the earlier overcast probably kept many people away from the normally crowded bike paths. Still, had to be wary pf a young woman, near Sylvia Hotel, taking a selfie while meandering all over the designated path, as well as a clutch of tandems , three, weaving , from left to right, perfectly situated to sweep everything ahead or beside, beneath their dangerous duo wheels! After Lost Moose Lodge and McLean Creek Road, climb up Prospect Point Hill and UCB Foreshore Hill seemed relatively easy so I guess the new terrain is holding me in good stead. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/857247630#.VcPqgD1gCDE.email

Hi again, Duhlink! En route to YVR. Please pick up a jug of milk for me. Love, Patrizzio!

Hello Patrick! We are looking forward to see you! We just returner car and now ligning up for baggage drop offentlige before security. Flight is still AC 1881, scheduled arrival 0355 pm. Should be on time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment