Tuesday 4 August 2015

Swedish Invasion Blues: Tuesday, August 4th!

Ah! what a divine religion might be found out if charity were really made the principle of it instead of faith. -Percy Bysshe Shelley, poet (4 Aug 1792-1822)

Christina Tassell shared Martin Thorborg's photo. For you Patrick James Dunn Ayn P His time would certainly improve if he had a bear chasing him! Patrick James Dunn Marmots and Quail are the motivators here! Snap of latter taken yesterday afternoon as we were strolling beside Penticton Creek. Parents had a brood of chicks but they were scurrying so quickly I couldn't manage a shot. As well, the young are so well camouflaged that they blend right into underbrush. Note tell-tale headdress! Enough local colour, Teens?

Hi Vinnie and Floridian, Uppity Oakland Bistro People!Trust you are both well and that your dinner with Elise and Beau Brummell was most enjoyable. Yes, Margot and Elise are quite young ladies! No, there was not a note, buried in text, about a coming trip to California. Will proved an Executive Summary when we do plan to visit, so no excuses for not being forewarned!

However, on a much more disturbing note, I was extremely distressed to hear, early this morning, a news bulletin about the terrible wildfire raging near Clear Lake, just north of Coffaros, I need not remind you. Nothing like it in more than fifty years, apparently, and getting too, too close to Healdsburg. What is the situation? Pretty devastating, I'm sure. Must bring back harrowing memories of the raging inferno of the Berkeley/Oakland Hills fire in October, 1991!

Must away as I want to go for a longish ride before next round of visitors arrive.
Fond regards from Cora Lee to you both. Again, hope wildfire threat will soon be mitigated without more loss of life and property. Our own provincial/national situation is not a good one either, with hundreds of wildfires across the countryside. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Cornucopia from Jugos Dom Pedro; motorized beer coolers on Penticton boardwalk! The Babes hugging The Peach!


After waving goodbye to Elinor, around 10:30 am, I had to make a quick trip to PPL to renew three books, (Seem to have been too, too busy with visitors to even think about reading!), and when I was back I sent a few messages to friends in California, worried about the wildfires around Clear Lake, just north of Healdsburg. At any rate, by the time that was done and I'd suited up, I left the hosue at a few minutes after 12:00 pm. Originally I was going to do the Naramata/OK Falls loop but had a bit of a brain-storm on way to Lakefront. Decided I'd ride to Summerland and instead of taking Peach Orchard I'd dedicate the ride to one without any significant hills. This being the case, I timed my crossing of 97 poifectly so as not to have to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground and once on the shoulder of the highway I was able to reach an AVG of 24 kph by the time I was back in Penticton. Dipsy-doodled my way to log about 78 km on the side streets near Skaha Park. Needed roughly that figure if I was to achieve the distance I wanted when back home. I really zipped along Eastside Road and turned around in the driveway leading to Blasted Church. Had to fight a bit of headwind, part of the way back, but once I was on South Main Street wind helped me along and I was quite delighted to roll into the OK Corral with and AVG 24.2 kph! Best time for that distance in many a moon! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/855302825#.VcFicM2Fz0M.email 

Hello ex-Pelotonii! Trust everyone is well. Has been a whirlwind of activity at the Burns Street Watering Hole/Stopping Place over last week or so. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know about all the cycling possibilities here so please consider a visit! Must away as Lady Mary is complaining, loudly, that there is no white wine open and she is veddy, veddy thirsty after shucking the local corn we will have for dinner tonight! Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Lady Mary weeding, Elinor supervising; I plan to ride on of these in next year's GranFondo! The Babes hugging the Peach!

I am still trying to get Pat to come with me to Banff next year. You are a little out of the way but doable and she says she does not want to bother you by staying with you. I don't think she will change her mind, but we could at least stop for a short visit...........Dave 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment