Sunday 30 August 2015

Rainy Challenge Blues: Sunday, August 30th!

There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do. -Anais Nin (1903-1977) [The Diary of Anais Nin] 

Chloe Alexis DunnPower after 20 hours!! thank you!!! It's time for a hot shower and something warm to eat!! Margareta Maunsbach What happened?Patrick James Dunn Chloƫ didn't pay her hydro bill! All her wages went to craft beer! Chloe Alexis Dunn Big Storm, power out every where, trees uprooted the whole shebang!!!!! Patrick James Dunn Another reason to the calm Okanagan!

Hi Goils! Here are some of the snaps from this past Thursday's hike. You will see Erika's B&B if you look carefully! Love, Hiker Dad/Patrizzio! 

Hi Al! Thanks very much for the wonderful snaps of the last two hikes, (Fascinated by your stump series!), as well as the picture of the rock face. Felt like I was on Easter Island, (Not that I've been there, although I'd dearly love to explore the plethora of wonderful islands in the South Pacific.), when I saw the picture of this fantastic, craggy sculpture.

As well, certainly appreciate your friendly "official" welcome to the group and the "manifesto". Seems pretty much what I had expected, having been treated so warmly and helpfully by everyone that I've had the great good fortune to meet and hike with so I trust I will fit in. Missed your company this past Thursday but did enjoy meeting a number of other members, new to me. Thanks again for everything. Meeting such an incredible number of interesting and energetic individuals while being introduced to the surrounding, phenomenal landscape/terrain, its flora and fauna, makes me have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not actually dreaming! Hope to see you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Fellow Hikers! Just wanted to say thanks very much for the terrific hike this past Thursday. I know I don't have email addresses for everyone who has been on the various hikes I've joined but I'm trying to build up that list, spread as it seems to be between Monday and Thursday hikers. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Wasn't released from indentured service, by Lady Mary, until nigh on 4:00 pm. Until then she had me changing light fixtures in our bathroom and then tidying up the garage. When I had special dispensation to ride I suited up and headed for Lakeshore Drive but the Challenge Race thwarted that venue so I did the Upper Bench Loop and then made for Skaha. Another road block shortly before Main Street South so I doubled back and took a new route, past Penticton Foundry to Carmi Ave and the onto Dartmouth Road which brought me, eventually, via Greenwood Ave back to South Main. Here I encountered many runners from the Challenge and one of them, around 5:30 pm was Andrea, from Westpoint Cycles in Vancouver. I'm sure she didn't recognize me as, by the look on her face and her body language, she looked as if she was concentrating on finishing whatever part  of the race was left. Trust she did well as when I asked one of the flag people working at controlling one of the intersections on my route, what time the event closed down, she replied, "Midnight!" If this was true, Andrea, presumably, was doing quite well as run, is, I believe, last component of this more than taxing test of fitness and endurance. At any rate, I felt a bit sheepish from then on in as my almost negligible distance, in comparison to the 180 km Challenge ride, let alone the swim and the run, seemed like almost nothing. Due to fairly brisk head wind out of the south decided I'd simply dipsy-doodle my way around Skaha Lake Park and then to the Penticton Airport to log the distance I wanted. Took a bit of a side-trip to a trailer park on the east side of the the runways, both parallel to the tubing channel, and really saw much evidence of trailer trash living, I'm sorry to report, Dear Reader. Still, a perfect late afternoon/evening for a more than pleasant ride. Bit of a touch of Fall coolness in the air and the sky was actually blue for the first time in about a week. Yesterday's fairly heavy rain and some lighter precipitation today seems to have washed much of the terrible wildfire smoke away. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/883229033#.VeP1LLZcYU0.email

No comments:

Post a Comment